It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glen Beck and Martin Luther King

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

...if you want to understand what MLK advocated or did not advocate surely its best to start with his own words, his writings and his speeches and not rely solely on what a distant family member said during an interview with Glen Beck.

Though if you are particularly interested in what MLKs family members are saying with regard to MLKs legacy and ideas on social justice then you should also check out the “Reclaim the Dream” rally in Washington DC August 28 where Martin Luther King III will be speaking.
Alternatively if you want to hear what those who worked closely with MLK are saying about social justice you could try Detroit on the same day, where Rev. Jesse Jackson (an organiser for MLK) and the United Auto Workers (major sponsor of the 1963 march on Washington) are launching the "Jobs, Justice and Peace" for America campaign.
And see what they have to say on the subject.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
King would be appalled if he was alive today to see what is happening within the Black community at the hands of Sharpton, Jackson and now our President. Look at how our nation is now divided. Look at how our President now points fingers and calls out names of those who disagree with him. Then the toadies come out and throw the racial barbs without merit. Then the wedge just gets driven a little deeper and new enemies are created out of nothing.

Beck sees this and as identified the problem. I think King would agree.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by the_weirdness

where Rev. Jesse Jackson (an organiser for MLK) and the United Auto Workers (major sponsor of the 1963 march on Washington) are launching the "Jobs, Justice and Peace" for America campaign.
And see what they have to say on the subject.

Don't forget about ACORN and SEIU's involvement in this and more.

Why are these goons suddenly uniting under ONE leader to support a movement that will destroy their very livelihood.

“Team Obama is teaming with big business, unions, and green pressure groups in an unholy alliance to advance an agenda relieving you of your wealth and freedoms, to their enrichment, in a collaboration designed to move decisions from individual producers and consumers to the Federal government. As part of this perverse game, the Left pulls for ‘green’ energy production and then blocks that very same production on environmental grounds or until it can use such projects to enrich favored unions and companies.”

Oddly, these groups are pushing for cap-and-trade, in addition to other mandates designed to make the price of energy “necessarily skyrocket”, as Obama so delicately put it.

This in turn prompted the Wall Street Journal to note that ” In addition to all the other economic harm, a cap-and-trade tax will make foreign companies more competitive while eroding market share for U.S. businesses. . . .The most harm will accrue to the very U.S. manufacturing and heavy-industry jobs that Democrats and unions claim to want to keep. . . . [Cap-and-trade] would be the greatest outsourcing boon in history.”

Big Labor, Big Auto, Big Government

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Kings words say a lot and can be interpreted in different ways I suppose. I take note with this quote:

"…this is America's opportunity to help bridge the gulf between the haves and the have-nots. The question is whether America will do it. There is nothing new about poverty. What is new is that we now have the techniques and the resources to get rid of poverty. The real question is whether we have the will." – Remaining Awake Through a Great Revolution, March 31, 1968.

Note that King speaks of bridging the "gulf between the haves and the have-nots". I can understand that statement however, it appears that those currently leading this movement including our President have decided to make that Gulf wider by creating a battle between the haves and the have-nots. Demonize the haves and make them them pay for the have-nots. King wanted this Gulf to bridged by honest achievement and hard work. Success was to be earned honorably and not handed out in the form of blank checks that accomplish nothing.

The Will that King mentions is now missing from that movement. Will requires hard work and moral rectitude.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
MLK believed in guaranteed income.

Two conditions are indispensable if we are to ensure that the guaranteed income operates as a consistently progressive measure. First, it must be pegged to the median income of society, not the lowest levels of income. To guarantee an income at the floor would simply perpetuate welfare standards and freeze into the society poverty conditions. Second, the guaranteed income must be dynamic; it must automatically increase as the total social income grows. Were it permitted to remain static under growth conditions, the recipients would suffer a relative decline. If periodic reviews disclose that the whole national income has risen, then the guaranteed income would have to be adjusted upward by the same percentage. Without these safeguards a creeping retrogression would occur, nullifying the gains of security and stability.

Well, this just shows that MLK was no economist or mathematician. Sure, it's all well and good if we just imagine that scarcity is not a reality.

I mean, pegging the minimum income to the median? Did he realize what such an extreme measure would do?

If we are talking about money wages and not actual wealth, you are doing nothing but creating massive inflation, punishing and discouraging wealth producers, and ipso facto making all of society poorer. What King advocates here is nothing less than the impoverishment of everybody who isn't a political insider (which is of course what wealth equalization does). Not to mention the extreme wage tinkering ripples through the economy making prices irrelevant meaning business cannot function and will go under in an avalanche of bankruptcies, leaving the state the only thing to allocate resources, but without any incentive to do it remotely efficiently, and on and on.

King should have stuck with civil rights. He had a good heart, but was out of touch with scarcity and other economic realities.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

WHO ELSE IS GOING TO DO IT?

As far as the Federal Reserve goes, it was completely unnecessary and in fact destructive from the get-go. The "who else is going to do it" mentality, bred by having known nothing else, is precisely what they want out of you, so you never question its existence. Then when you complain they can promise "reforms" to shut you up.

I would start by reading End the Fed by Ron Paul. Not the best-written or organized book but most of what Paul says is spot on.

The Fed is a racket designed to insulate the elites from the inconvenience of actually having to take care when managing their own resources. They do it through the combination of being the only ones allowed to print money and legal tender legislation requiring everybody to accept the Fed's money. This means that in a de facto sense, the Fed owns everything, or at least can potentially because they have infinite money! Good deal, huh? It would remove the main worries of life! The people on the top live in a completely different world from us for that reason alone.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Simply putting regulations that were in place 30 frickin years ago doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. Glen Beck doesn't talk about enforcing anti-trust laws...he doesn't talk about tariffs...instead he talks about tax cuts for GD corporations and how we need to except the pain for them to come back to our country.

I saw the tea partiers protest one time and heard the cries for tax cuts! 'Tax cuts will solve the issue!' they said! Right. People continue to complain about our jobs going away, blame the government as the only issue when government is just a tool..... when part of the problem is that our jobs are being shifted overseas, and at the same time we continue rewarding the businesses that do so? I had a libertarian friend argue to me that by removing all regulation from the markets, things would be rather dandy...

Yep.. things would be dandy. Either be forced to compete with a chinese worker earning a couple of bucks a week at twice the output, or have your jobs being shifted off. Yep, the beauty of the libertarians solution. Have our souls up for grabs to the highest bidder... but yes, don't be lazy! If the chinese can do it, why can't we right? yep.

As for Dr Martin Luther King, he was a true american patriot, and truly rare one. I don't consider him a black civil rights activist, I consider him a true constitutionalist advocate for freedom. He stood up when so few stood up and not many other americans can be compared to that. It just makes me cringe that the likes of Glenn Beck would use his name to promote his show. I can picture Glenn Beck being shifted back in time to the 60's with the same show and the same kind of demographic. Where would he be standing? Glenn beck follows the money where his demographic follows in views. He doesnt give a damn about the constitution at the end of the day.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Let me just rephrase part of my quote below:

People continue to complain about our jobs going away,

Thats "going away to Mexicans".

Our jobs are "going away to em Mexicans" and the government is also "taking our jobs". But Tax cuts for the wealthy! Damn, that was one heck of a nightshift I had before. Gotta get some shut eye so I could live the american dream again tomorrow. Thats if my job stays.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well I never, it's almost as if he just says things his audience wants to hear in order to make money!

I'm shocked.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by LeftWingLarry]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join