It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

Not only it is valid, it is also very probable, and also very scary scenario, that is why it is always a denied one, because people would not be able to cope with the idea that a hostile ET race would contact us first, or resource explorers would be our first kind of contact ... "booo hoo but I thought we would have gotten super advanced ETs that were willing to share their miracle technology with us while we scratch our balls like we always do!" Well we don't always get what we want Jimmy!

Fun Analogy 1 : Go to an unknown street in an unknown city , of an unknown country and start screaming for help.
a)Someone comes and helps you (hooray!)
b)People hear you but ignore you, they are aware of you now though
c)Someone comes and rapes/murders you
d)Someone comes looking to take advantage of you while appearing to be nice (aka steal/scam)

Now imagine you are thinking of an unknown UNIVERSE, have fun...

Fun Analogy 2 : A stranger offers you candy on the street...

Fun Analogy 3 : You assume someone is a good person and then end up trusting that person with your full heart, you then get scammed :p

Contacting ET might not be bad , looking to contact and invite ANY race of ET might be very dangerous though. I do not agree we have to avoid contact with ET at all costs, I agree we have to be careful with who we invite into our world and end up "allied" with , etc though!

People gotta start being more discerning and less "LOVE ALL , FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE" towards every alien civilization that might come to us.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I really can see the agenda behind this all.

Hawking wants to hold humanity back. Keep us out of the galactic arena.
He thinks humans are weak.

I think hes a coward. He let his bosses speak through his mouth/reputation. You know the whole "Aliens are evil" agenda?

I have to agree with you on this Muzzleflash, I think he would be worried that it would give others the opportunity to surpass him intellectually, that's the simplest point of it.

Maybe there is a fear of the 'unknown alien'? It's no secret that some people do fear the concept of aliens. Personally I can't imagine an alien species coming to Earth to cause damage/death for the simple reason, it'd be like one of our superpowers invading the amazon to slaughter a tribe. Just a thought

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Na i do not think they will destroy us, but i do think they are bad for humans. More intelligent things always want to control others. They have probably been controlling us for along time, without no care what so ever to what we do to one another, but why would they care.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

I find this really short sighted from Hawkings. It shows a complete lack of understanding about our place within the universe.

I can't see that there is any natural resource here on earth that could not be found elsewhere, where life is either nonexistent or non sentient.

In addition, although we can't speak of the morality of a civilisation that has attained type 3 status we can assume that they would have had some level of history and more likely experienced the issues we have here on earth and as such wouldn't just think of us as insignificant ants for example...

They may actually have had visitations themselves in their past and a helping hand....

I think its pretty safe to assume that any alien race that decided to come here would not be for the natural resource of the planet.... Unless they are looking for slaves of course

Peace Out,

Korg.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I really can see the agenda behind this all.

Hawking wants to hold humanity back. Keep us out of the galactic arena.
He thinks humans are weak.

I think hes a coward. He let his bosses speak through his mouth/reputation. You know the whole "Aliens are evil" agenda?

I apologize that I am bias against him. I've always been on Sagan's side about it. (You know outwardly seeking contact).

Anyways I am sorry, but I will argue with Hawking on almost every issue all the time. I don't think hes honest about anything. To me he's mostly disinfo so the powers that be can keep us all slaves and never let us go free in outer space to explore /expand.

"Nope sorry everyone its too dangerous the aliens will eat us oh no!" It's fear mongering at it's finest. And mostly illogical too as well. Countless reasons why.

Oh so suddenly a brilliant mind like hawking can't have an opinion without someone saying "DISINFO" or "PTB" pray tell was einstien the same on religion as hawking is to hostile aliens, given the numbers as hawking says it's perfectly rational to think about aliens but ALSO given the numbers it is totally plausible that as hawking says there will be both hostile aliens and certainly hostile humans.

And besides how the heck would you know the personality of an alien I'm certain they're not all friendly peace loving hippies. If they wanted to colonize us they could (heck the argument is out there that they're doing it in secret reptilians anyone?)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well think "Independce Day ?" but to be balanced on this subject ,I think that some races will be more hostile than others , some my be peace loving pacifists others my be warmongers . If we look at nature we see that all the species that evolve fill every possible evolutionary probability ? from a tiger to a dolphin , I would assume that alien races are no different ? I just hope our fist contact is with the pacifist kind !!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longy4eva
Personally I can't imagine an alien species coming to Earth to cause damage/death for the simple reason, it'd be like one of our superpowers invading the amazon to slaughter a tribe. Just a thought

Or like a giant deer lease.

Hunting humans for sport, why not? We do the same to other species on our own planet, who's to say we couldn't become game to another race?

The point still remains that yes, we can come up with a million negative reasons to be afraid and shun contact, but do those out weigh the potential positives as well?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The problem with your statements is you are thinking only about yourself. If ever humans and aliens make contact it would not be limited to just handful of people but worldwide. As per the history and current evaluation of humans beings in "majority" we tend to destroy everything we come across. If it was only limited to 1-2 people it could have been possible what you are stating but unfortunately that is not the case.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Crimson_King]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Very interesting stuff..

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

Our only hope will be to align ourselves with and assimilate into the alien fold that we are most closely related to. Find the good guys and get with them.

This will be difficult and we may easily be fooled but I think there will be a way to read EBE's and know who is who.
People who are already lost in compassion and character will not be able to snap-judge EBE's. They will let greed lead them toward a false prophet - so to speak, and go down first. But I think this process will be a little like giving the Earth a flea bath.
Those who when tested show they revere the sanctity and dignity of the earth, it's creator and all life - ahead of even their own individual, personal survival (those whose heart's are loving hearts- due to religion, conscious or nature) ...I think they will survive and inherit the earth.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Either that or they are going to eat us!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It's pretty obvious that should an Alien race show up, it will be technologically so more advanced than us. It would be on par with how early explorers looked upon Africa and the America's. They wouldn't have any qualms about taking resources from "savages" such as us. If we resisted, the result would be similar to any "colonial conquests".

top topics

<< 1   >>

join