It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Event in Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
From the Havaria Information Service-Alert Map.

World Map

Event Description

An unidentified object, thought to be a fragment of a meteorite, has landed on a beach near Tel Aviv. Israeli police released mobile phone footage of something burning in the town of Bat Yam, as people gathered round to look. Witnesses said the object began burning as it hit the ground. It has now been taken away to be examined.

I'm not an expert on meteorites, but I don't think they BEGIN burning when they hit the ground. Is this a meteorite or possibly part of a missile that has landed in Israel?

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
oh, man this is special, i hope

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
keep us posted my man very interesting!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Full story here.....with video also...

itn.co.uk...

www.haaretz.com...

[edit on 25-4-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hmmm! sounds ominous, secret weapon test or a piece of space debris thats burned up comin back into the atmosphere maybe....have we lost any satelites?.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
www.haaretz.com...

"It is plastic or silicon," she told Haaretz. "I received it from the police's Tel Aviv crime scene investigation unit. I did not have many means at home, but I looked at it with a magnifying glass, and the rubbery material peeled easily.

"Perhaps it is part of an airplane or a satellite, or it's part of a flare. I do not know. But it certainly is not from space," she said

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I thought most meteors are cool enough to touch when they hit earth?....

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Why is there no sign of impact in the soft sand? Sure it's pretty small, but you'd think there would be some sign of impact.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

thanks for the video. Off the cuff, it appers to have the basic traits of a meteorite -- fusion crust, rounded, "thumbprints", not porous appearing, etc. maybe........ smoking is surely a clue as well

From the OP quote:

began burning as it hit the ground.

AS it hit the ground sounds a bit like it could be before it hit the ground -- that is possibly burning, but not visible until just before. Interesting find!

I thought I'd found a meteorite last Sunday, although finding it by the shore was strong evidence against it being a meteorite. Otherwise, all characteristics were in favor of it. Kinda think it is a piece of malformed slag, but we'll see. It exhibits about 15 Ohms of resistance, which seems about right. Awaiting chemicals to test for nickle. Above 5% and that would be strongly in favor of it being a meteorite.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
it is not burning the shells are. and it dos not look like it hit from the sky. if it had it would have push’t some shells around. leaving a small crater. sorry I think fake. a hot rock from a barbecue.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Looks like a piece of tar someone set afire.

I see pieces exactly like that all up and down the eastern shore of the U.S.

What a huge crater it made as well,
I doubt anyone would notice that if it did fall from the sky it's so small.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Hasn't this already been written off as white phosphorus? Sure looks like it to me.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Bat Yam of all places! A city filled with incredible ethnic diversity ... Turkish, Russian, Georgian, Iraqi ... Jews, of course, but also others.

I would rather think that this was some misfired effort of the Abergil crime syndicate.

It is the sort of news title that makes one sit up and draw in a breath. I look forward to the final forensic analysis ... who knows what tales may be told.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Wasn't there a thread on this a day or two ago?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The conclusion jumping here is hilarious. Its not that big of deal.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Why is there no sign of impact in the soft sand? Sure it's pretty small, but you'd think there would be some sign of impact.

A small enough object, even a meteor, won't come down with much force. People have been hit with glancing blows by meteors, like on the arm, and barely been hurt by it. If it hit you square on the head, it could probably do damage, it will probably be going at least two or three hundred miles per hour. Terminal velocity of an object varies depending on its mass and how much drag it produces.

Shoot a rock out of a cannon at 300 mph directly into the earth and you'll get a little divot, but you won't get what could be called a crater. That ground was a waterlogged mass of sand, rocks and shells. Whatever divot was formed by its impact may have filled in within seconds, or maybe the ground underneath was too hard to form a divot at such a speed. That object (which looks like a lump of plastic or tar to me) was pretty tiny. Maybe 1/2 pound (1/4 kg) at most.

new topics

top topics

join