It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doing away with the department of education

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
All that would do would create a new generation of morons.

Sure you'd probably have a chunk of America more educated coming out of high school, but you'd be offsetting it with a massive number of low income people who have next to no education.

Maybe if you're looking to replace the illegal Mexican workforce in America with uneducated Americans.

I don't think a country should be able to keep it's first world status without a public education system. Education should be free!

And private school is one thing, but home schooling is another... people who have been home schooled like to assert that they're so much more educated than the rest but I've never actually met anyone that demonstrates as much. At best they know more about Jesus

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Well the NEA was put in charge of the whole education system when Carter was president, and at the time the NEA only oversaw DC schools which were the worst in the nation back then.

I completely agree with doing away with the NEA, they have done nothing, but make the school system worse.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
you have to get the fluoride out of water before you defund the doe

Otherwise you will have mindless zombies teaching there offspring .

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

FED

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

I would like to reply about your reference to the necessity of both parents working. I have homeschooled our kids for quite a few years now (one graduates this year, the other is in 10th grade). My husband works full time and I work part time in the evenings and homeschool during the day. We do NOT make a lot of money, but we do without a lot of stuff we would like to have and do. We do this because our kids' education is very important to us. We cannot afford a private school, so we homeschool on a minimal budget. We get school books from garage sales and half.com. We use the internet and the public library for most everything else. I make up our curriculum. I live in a state that has strict homeschooling regulations, so it's not like I do nothing. My kids consistently do far above average on their yearly testing. I say all that to say this: if you want to homeschool, you will find a way. Period.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Ellie Sagan]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Wow, your response is well-said! I am a bit surprised to see that you are 15. You seem to have your head on straight. Just so you know, I think a lot of people will discount your opinions and thoughts just because you are young. That is a big mistake on their part. I've always treated kids as people, just as I do adults. I make no distinction due to age. As a result, a lot of young people are drawn to me. They know I respect them. I wish more adults were like that too.

edit to add: It seems like an inconsistency to say that I am surprised you are a teen. I meant that a lot of teens don't think about a solution to the old hating school issue. There's a reason kids hate school, they see it as the prison that it is. I didn't mean that you were incapable of intelligent thought because you are young!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
All that would do would create a new generation of morons.

I'm guessing this is in reference to removing the Dept of Education, so I'm wondering how you came to this conclusion. I can think of a number of ways this could work. Even doing nothing it would have little impact.

Sure you'd probably have a chunk of America more educated coming out of high school, but you'd be offsetting it with a massive number of low income people who have next to no education.

Again, I'm not sure where you get this idea. What exactly are you predicting?

Maybe if you're looking to replace the illegal Mexican workforce in America with uneducated Americans.

I don't think a country should be able to keep it's first world status without a public education system. Education should be free!

Perhaps, but the mechanism to pay for that schooling is the question. I have a number of ideas that would greatly improve public education without the Federal Government's help at all.

And private school is one thing, but home schooling is another... people who have been home schooled like to assert that they're so much more educated than the rest but I've never actually met anyone that demonstrates as much. At best they know more about Jesus

Fair enough, I somewhat agree since I've met a number of them and their education is fair at best. I won't, however, lump them all in together because some aren't modern day puritans.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Wow, your response is well-said! I am a bit surprised to see that you are 15. You seem to have your head on straight. Just so you know, I think a lot of people will discount your opinions and thoughts just because you are young. That is a big mistake on their part. I've always treated kids as people, just as I do adults. I make no distinction due to age. As a result, a lot of young people are drawn to me. They know I respect them. I wish more adults were like that too.

edit to add: It seems like an inconsistency to say that I am surprised you are a teen. I meant that a lot of teens don't think about a solution to the old hating school issue. There's a reason kids hate school, they see it as the prison that it is. I didn't mean that you were incapable of intelligent thought because you are young!

Thank you very much! always nice to get complements, i am indeed 15, and my birthday is July 29th and i completely agree with you on the homeschool thing, if you want to, you'll find a way!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join