It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ipod App for survival enthusiasts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
For those that don't know the SAS Survival Handbook is a main stay of useful tips and information for survival in pretty much any situation. Written originally by John "Lofty" Wiseman, a veteran of the UK SAS special forces. it covers everything from the basics to more advanced survival techniques in every area of the world. Hot cold, wet and dry.

Now for all you tech geeks, and people who like their info portable. The entire test of the book is available as an app for the ipod / phone

Not just the text, but has nifty gadgets with it too
Sun Compass
Text to morse code flasher
survival quizzes
videos
photos
and the book itseld split into easy to ready sections and sub sections

Easier reference to carry round than a bloody great book!!

Cheers All

BTW I am not him, and not on comission. I just though it was cool, and people here would want to know!!
s'all

[edit on 25/404/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Excellent, I have the paper copy sitting on my bookshelf within arms reach, and probably will be getting it on my iPod for reading at work during downtime provided its not insanely priced. I might not rely on the iPod in a survival situation but any extra reading during pre-SHTF times is time well spent.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Awesome App.

Now, for all of us who can't seem to memorize things, or those of us who don't like to read "too much", let's just hope the power grid remains stable.

Just pointing out a minor irony: If it get's to the point where we really need this, we won't be able to use it (it'll be too late).

While I admire the app (which costs 6.99 full version) greatly as a learning tool, perhaps for forward thinkers or even preparationalists (new word? lol), I would much rather instill the notion of preventing things from getting too bad to begin with.

NOW is the time for all good men (and women
) to come to the aid of their country. (never thought I'd have a reason to type that phrase again, lol)

EDIT: Oh...S&F

[edit on 25-4-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

You can get a small portable solar charger fir the ipod for about 50 bucks and your good to go.

Plus listening to your music in a survival situation makes life easier!!

Just remember to add ipod to the survival pouch check list!! hehehe

[edit on 25/404/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I did not know that...pretty caused a complete 180 in my opinion, cause it actually freakin' rocks!

I LOVE the morse code signal...I've so got no excuse not to learn now.

And I've got, "I have clean water." saved in the presets. MAN...I can't gush enough about this...it gives everything! Way too much to go over...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Sounds like a great app but what happens when you run out of power and have no power source to recharge, for survival purposes you cannot rely on electronic equipment. The good old compass and map remains unbeaten. I will not bet my life on electronics sure it makes things easier and faster but that doesn't make it better in the long run. Also books on what edible plants and vegetables are a great resource to have on hand. Plenty of rope and a book on knot tying, knot tying is almost as important as a compass in survial situations. Just my 2 cents

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

Its called a solar charger.

www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=if

Pick one!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

Aliens, have you ever read the SAS survival guide. This guy is thr GRANDFATHER of the survival movement, and this book is the bible. it has EVERYTHING

even your edible plants, along with video, pictures referenced techniques and suggestions of preparation etc etc etc

a 250 page book in one app

And as I and others have said. Just get a solar charger

Books are paper, and too much weight to carry around in a normal let alone survival situation.

Check it out!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
But what happens if a Solar flare or emp goes of and fries the grid how will the app work with out cell phones??????just asking

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Isn't this a major contradiction in ideas? An "app" for "survival?" One is from this ultra modern world, and the other are basic instincts/knowledge known since before civilization began (well, depending when you believe it began).

I would think if you own, use, and utilize apps, you're really gonna find yourself in a heap of trouble should civilzation collaspe to the point of needing to live off the SAS handbook. You might as well call it quits well before then.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
OK Lets inject some rationality to this

The basics> The best survival manual since the lost book of Robinson Crusoe as written by Tom Hanks, The SAS Survival Guide by John "lofty" Wiseman is now available as an APP on the Ipod

This app makes finding areas or interest easily, give videos and talks as well as photos and quizzes that the original paper version did not have.

So as a study tool, it is good. If out on survival exercise item is a useful tools

But lets put it like this.

If the TSHTF and this stuff got real. and I had my Ipod and my solar charger. I;m there with the best reference guide fully available to me with all my music and video to boot.

The rest of you pure blood blood and bones survivalists are lugging around you paper based books on herbs, and back issues of guns and ammo. whilst arsing around with sticks and rope trying to tell north. Where as if you had read the SAS survival guide you would know that if you had an analog watch this serves the same purpose, faster and without having to lie on the ground, and risk getting bitten.

All the talk about being prepared, and yet your not willing to take advantage of a clear simple and easy tool that just makes your life easier. becuase ooo what if the battery runs out, or what if there is a solar storm

If the battery runs out charge it with you solar charger. if there is a solar storm, I have never heard of this affecting an Ipod. maybe Iphone, but the app would still work just not the calling bit as the network would be down. if there is not a solar storm, and you have an Iphone. For god sake call someone! Where in the world do you think you would be in this world in a survival situation where there is no mobile coverage. Especially you Americans.

And if it is a post nuclear holocaust situation. and the ipod is broken. Well that will teach you to have ready the damn information in the first place

Anyway I think its cool, and easier for me, as I travel a lot. if it doesn't work for you, and you prefer the book! that's fine too. But there is no reason to talk it down, as it is damn good info.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrParanoid

I would think if you own, use, and utilize apps, you're really gonna find yourself in a heap of trouble should civilzation collaspe to the point of needing to live off the SAS handbook. You might as well call it quits well before then.
\

That makes no sense whatsoever. OK so someone owns an ipod and uses app to aid study and gain information

Are you saying that the only valid way of learning is through books or what yer granpappy told ye.

Bollox... plain and simple

I would say that anyone relying on memory, should be careful. Personally I would rather have studied, but have access to reliable information and resource at hand, than just relying on memory, especially when trying to identify different plants that are edible etc.

So i take it from your post that you are a true woodsman, taught at your fathers knee, and have years of living of the land, and building your own hovel. Well that's great. the rest of us prepare the best ways we know how.

This isn;t the 15th century where every man could build a house, watch and kill for food. So although it might be knowledge that is ages old, when was the last time you skinned gutted and ate something.

There no piint in survival for being macho and tough, you just end up sleeping on the floor when you should have built an A frame and youll get bitten to #. Survival isn't about being hard. its about doing anything and everything to keep you ALIVE

simples.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
J.Fogg, I have nothing against how one gains knowledge, in fact, I'm happy that people in fact seek it. I just found the whole thing rather ironic, that's all. To me, in the idea of a survival app just doesn't jive.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
OKJ no worries!, I was drinking last night so a little aggrivated after a bad day, so apologies if I came off short

I understand the irony of it all, but really if used properly in a proper manner, it could be an invaluable tool, really, it is that good a reference. Imagine you brain is fried due to the stress, and for the life of you, you just can;t remember what is first, shelter, no water, #e I need food! can I eat those plants. what can I make use of??

Well pull out the pod and its there! for me as a techno geek, but one who's done this stuff from long before, it gives me comfort that I can study it, yet have it as a back up just in case, it gets pushed out by all the trival bollox of day to day corporate whorism!

So don't worry I get your point totally!

new topics

top topics

join