It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Into the Universe With Stephen Hawking on at 9pm tonight on Discovery Channel

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I really dont get the joke

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
reply to post by Maddogkull

Yea, its unforunate.
Often when I see shows being talked about on here that will air on the history channel for example, they are not on the Canadian version of the history channel.

Get on the horn and write (and phone, if possible) to the Discovery Channel Viewer Relations Department and your government reps and tell them how you are being denied educational programming (don't say entertainment) which could benefit the future of Canadian children. Also, tell your friends and relatives to do the same thing. Your requests could be effective in getting some action on your (and all Canadians) behalf. Quote the program you can't see so that they can see that you are not being frivolous.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

The reality is that no matter how much you want to be right and me wrong that evidence is on my side because neither you nor Drake, nor Sagan, nor Hawking can provide any evidence. THAT is the reality.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

I'm confused. You make fun of a show that you haven't even seen. You tell people it's on. You mock the show before its aired and then give them tips on how to watch it.....
Is it you don't like Hawking because of his disablity? I ask because of your comment: "I'm not immobile."

BTW who ever said he was going to give evidence???

[edit on 25/4/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

It's funny you are so opposed to this show that hasn't even aired yet. You don't know what he might or might not say, yet you are already mocking it.

Yes, I know that my OP goes against some people's sensibility. But I don't care, for Hawking cannot add anything about aliens, habitable planets, or the like. He has no evidence and all he is doing (IF he's doing it, for others in other threads have intimated that the words ascribed to him are said by his promoters) is just presenting his uneducated opinion. Being a genius of some particular, useless knowledge does not give you special rights especially if you are suffering some kind of restrictive disease and you're wheelchair-bound.

Let him talk about whatever he knows and you won't hear a peep from me. But he has no knowledge about aliens and life on other locations (not of earth) and THAT'S what I'm critizing. So for him to mouth off about something he has no knowledge of or no experience is a joke on all of us. And he isn't funny. But it's a joke on his supporters.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by The Shrike]

[edit on 25-4-2010 by The Shrike]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Evidence on your side
You better re look your facts. From abductees’ experiences, to ancient civilizations, there are tons of things showing aliens. You can just brush it off your shoulder or look into it more. Tell me why it is so hard to believe in aliens?? I am hoping it is over at least 5 pages long in your response, because I personally think the evidence is against you. Especially since so many scientists are on the side of aliens existing. What makes your theory so special?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

So for him to mouth off about something he has no knowledge of or no experience is a joke on all of us

What's that about the pot calling the kettle black?

And you mentioned you don't like evolution....but do you have proof of creation by a god?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

YOU BOTH HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ALIEN EXISTENCE. Just because aliens haven’t been on earth in front of your eyes does not make them not exist. You do the math. There are more stars in this universe then all the grains of sand on earth. Tons of stars on top of that have solar systems, you do the math. On top of that scientists just found out they are missing on 90% of the universe, because there observations are blocked off by nebulas and other formations. Meaning there are more galaxies out there then once thought. What makes us so important?

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I couldn't help but laugh at Shrike and the rest of this thread.
anyways thanks for the heads up on the show.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
He is an amazing mind but there is a danger in having someone like him speaking up about a topic. People take whatever he says without question.
Sure he is brilliant, but theory is still only theory until proven, no matter whose theory it is. I have a great deal of respect for Hawking but I will not ever base any opinion on the ideas of any one person but rather a collection of what I have compiled from many sources and personal experience.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Being a genius of some particular, useless knowledge does not give you special rights especially if you are suffering some kind of restrictive disease and you're wheelchair-bound.

Wow you really have a way with words--such charm. What is your problem with people unfortunate enough to contract a disease that immoblizes them?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
So what is your take on religion? I'm not trying to be difficult. I just wanna know if I'm being made fun of about evidence from someone who may not have evidence themselves.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull

Evidence on your side
You better re look your facts. From abductees’ experiences, to ancient civilizations, there are tons of things showing aliens. You can just brush it off your shoulder or look into it more. Tell me why it is so hard to believe in aliens?? I am hoping it is over at least 5 pages long in your response, because I personally think the evidence is against you. Especially since so many scientists are on the side of aliens existing. What makes your theory so special?

I don't need 5 pages, one word will do: evidence. If you claim that aliens exist or that there is life on other planets, or wherever, provide irrefutable evidence. Providing evidence is not my responsibility. I deal with reality. I get up and hours later I hit the sack. What happens between the two is known as life. In that life all I've experienced is UFOs. No one, not scientists, not believers, are an authority on an unproven subject. Scientists depend on repeatable results, not flights of fantasy.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

So for him to mouth off about something he has no knowledge of or no experience is a joke on all of us

What's that about the pot calling the kettle black?

And you mentioned you don't like evolution....but do you have proof of creation by a god?

Off topic but I'll honor it with a reply. I never said I "...don't like evolution...", you did. There are no gods except those created by man to control humans and which reside only in the mentally-conditioned mind. I'm not mentally-conditioned.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
hey thanks for this topic, I am tuning in to watch it.. Thanks allot, I did not even know it was on..

oh and Hawking's, is like one of the or is the smartest scientist, ,since my cousin Einstein.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
snip
What makes us so important?

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Maddogkull]

That we exist. That we are real. That we experience each other. That, so far, we are all that there is. All we can do is fantasize about others. Mental play.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jolly

I couldn't help but laugh at Shrike and the rest of this thread.
anyways thanks for the heads up on the show.

My pleasure. Always leave 'em laughing. Stop by when you're in the neighborhood.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Being a genius of some particular, useless knowledge does not give you special rights especially if you are suffering some kind of restrictive disease and you're wheelchair-bound.

Wow you really have a way with words--such charm. What is your problem with people unfortunate enough to contract a disease that immoblizes them?

You're reading more into what I said than what I meant. I criticized his subject matter. The fact that he suffers from neuro-muscular dystrophy and he's immobilized does not spare him from being criticized when he speaks about subjects that are not his specialties. He is a theoretical physicist. He doesn't speak about everyday subjects, he doesn't deal with real life, the issues that affect you and me and all of us. He's out there (not a pun).

He has an equal in Michio Kaku, an American theoretical physicist specializing in string field theory, and a futurist. These people exist in a world all their own and when they try to merge with the unwashed, they stand out because no one can understand what they're saying. Talk to me about UFOs, lunar anomalies, treasure hunting with a metal detector, photography, videotaping, etc. These are topics that the average person understands and may contribute to the conversation.

But have lunch or dinner with Hawking or Kaku. What do you say to these people after "Hello"? Hawking cannot talk about treasure hunting 'cause he's never done it. Kaku probably hasn't either. Therefore, I don't talk about black holes, or any theoretical subject that exists only in the mind.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Exactly, so does everything. We have figured out that complicated microbes are more advanced then we think. To really think a small planet in the whole universe is only capable of life is hilarious. It really is.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
So what is your take on religion? I'm not trying to be difficult. I just wanna know if I'm being made fun of about evidence from someone who may not have evidence themselves.

While not on topic, I'll be more than glad to discuss religion with you since it is my thread. You also picked a topic with which I'm very familiar and if you saw my bible and the tons of notes I've written on it, you might not want to challenge me. But it's a "fun" topic so here we go.

You're probably talking about the judeo-christian religion but it doesn't matter what religion you refer to, they're all man-made. They stem from the simple idea of control. Religions exist for two reasons: fear and mental conditioning. Both do not require evidence and therefore, no evidence exists. Fear came first. The church exists because from day one your life depended on your accepting whatever god the controlling powers were pushing. Columbus took the christian religion and obliterated races until those that were left wanted to continue living so they agreed that there was a god and a son, named jesus.

But here is an Italian that has been mentally-conditioned to push a jewish myth! So, to cut to the chase, if your life depended on it you could NOT come up with any historical evidence for the reality of the famous jesus THE christ, nor for any god, jewish, muslim, whatever.

If you doubt me about religion being the result of mental conditioning, watch TV. You'll see parents telling their children that they will eventaully join in heaven whichever member died first. You'll see adults in all kinds of professions tell whoever is listening that they were saved by jesus. That "In God We Trust" which is on our money and in our courtrooms along with jewish bibles. You'll see soldiers being forced to swear allegiance to a non-existent god. You'll see the President of the U.S. sign special legislation for prayer day. You'll see the U.S. President-to-be be sworn in on a bible instead of a copy of the Constitution. You'll see abortion clinics blown up by religious zealots. And on, and on, and all for myths.

The religious believers do not know nor do they want to understand that they are the slaves of religion and are not operating with their own minds. They'll defend that they are indeed not religious slaves but trust me, they are. They make decisions not using common sense, logic, or reason. They make decision on how their religion demands they think.

THAT's the present reality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join