It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats’ Long-Held Seats Face G.O.P. Threat-You bet Ya!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ff65236fef9.jpg[/atsimg]

ASHLAND, Wis. — Representative David R. Obey has won 21 straight races, easily prevailing through wars and economic crises that have spanned presidencies from Nixon’s to Obama’s. Yet the discontent with Washington surging through politics is now threatening not only his seat but also Democratic control of Congress.

Mr. Obey is one of nearly a dozen well-established House Democrats who are bracing for something they rarely face: serious competition. Their predicament is the latest sign of distress for their party and underlines why Republicans are confident of making big gains in November and perhaps even winning back the House.

The fight for the midterm elections is not confined to traditional battlegrounds, where Republicans and Democrats often swap seats every few cycles. In the Senate, Democrats are struggling to hold on to, among others, seats once held by President Obama and Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. Democrats are preparing to lose as many as 30 House seats — including a wave of first-term members — and Republicans have expanded their sights to places where political challenges seldom develop.
Source: www.nytimes.com...
This article lays out the Democrates problems in this upcoming November elections. Like it of not, the Dems are set for a Crushing defeat in both the House and Senate races. Leading up to the loss of the White House in 2012!

You know, when the New York Times is busting on the Dems-something is wrong in Liberal America. lol Too much!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76e9bc41d677.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
When the music's over,

Turn out the lights.

Turn out the lights.

Turn out the lights.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
And people fall for this over and over, keeping the republicrats in power. The democrats screw up now and people will vote republicans in. Then the republicans will screw up and people will vote democrats in. Back and forth, back and forth. No real change.

If it were real, we'd see at least one third party voted in. I'm partial to Libertarians myself. But apparently that is TOO much change for some people. They'd rather keep voting the lesser of two evils(at that particular time) back into power. Nothing will ever really change that way.

[edit on 4/25/2010 by Blueracer]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

I agree with this. I hope the dissatisfaction with liberal dems is more than just a quick replacement with Republicans. I would really like to see an actual block of libertarians come in to D.C. I learned in the Bush years that most Republicans are not small government. Some may talk that way, but they spend just as hard as Dems, they just spend tax money (that is to say your money) on different things than Dems.

I would also like to see some serious politicians come into Congress who actually believe in state's rights.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Still buying into the two party illusion?
You just don't get it!
The game plan doesn't change, just the players.
And the game is almost over.

The sad thing is, the ones who still believe in americas two party system , will be the first ones who will voluntarily go to the FEMA camps when TSHTF.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think the key for any third party to actually gain a foothold into the old boys club system of Republicans and Democrats is for a third party candidate to actually make themselves some national attention.

If you look at Ross Perot, he had the background to have actually pulled it off if he would have pushed his past exploits. He had helped US DoD to extract two of his workers that were held captive in Iran as political prisoners and worked to raise the question of US POW/MIA soldiers still being held in Vietnam.

His corporate and financial exploits, while not overly endearing to the public at large, are a real life Horatio Alger story. The man financially backed Steve Jobs' NeXT Computer venture when he was ousted from Apple. And Perot's own computer companies have been successful enough to be bought out by GM and Dell.

Overall, in order for the people to look for a different choice, they need to be inspired by that choice. Perot just needed some better marketing and he might have pulled off a win in either 1992 or 1996.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
A picture is worth more than 2 lines...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Third party, third party, third party, third party.

Oh, did I mention?

Third party!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
And people fall for this over and over, keeping the republicrats in power. The democrats screw up now and people will vote republicans in. Then the republicans will screw up and people will vote democrats in. Back and forth, back and forth. No real change.

If it were real, we'd see at least one third party voted in. I'm partial to Libertarians myself. But apparently that is TOO much change for some people. They'd rather keep voting the lesser of two evils(at that particular time) back into power. Nothing will ever really change that way.

[edit on 4/25/2010 by Blueracer]

Maybe enough of 'We The People" will have awoken and together with the Tea Party and Independents, will draw enough voters from both the Democrats and Republicans, negating the need for a third party. Believe me, this is the only way to possibly wrench control from from the minions of TPTB.

Keep our attempt at change as a very loose consortium of like minded individuals with a single goal of removing all incumbent politicians, and replacing them with candidates that believe and live by the US Constitution. Candidates that truly represent the will of the people. Keep the Tea Parties going!!!!! Search for believers in the Constitution and support those that do.

Forming an actual political party gives TPTB a target to attack. Without an organization to attack, all the incumbents can do is talk **** about us, making their meaningless blatant BS attacks more evident to the average American, humiliating themselves more each day and furthering their ultimate demise. These politicians are lemmings!!!

We the people, must remain below the radar until election day, only to emerge from the shadows and thrust a dagger into the hearts of the incumbents, replacing them with men and women which truly represent the will of the American people and will always act within the original intent of the United States Constitution.

Until election day, I'm staying small, laying low in the shadows, not making a peep, never showing my hand.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

You mean all that noise about revolution and end of the world was just so to get the opposite side in power? Get outta here!

However, is it people falling for anything or are they just playing their own silly game? Just that those they vote in power are just taking advantage of it?

Anyway, too bad that the one who talked about change couldn't bring it and was too easily distracted by the banana peels thrown at him. Boo hoo! Too bad!
In the state where The U.S. is (and the world) now, there's only one thing he had to do to bring instant change
isclosure (about all sorts of hidden scams)
But I guess the conniving snakes inside and outside the government are too fiecely venomous for him survive. Yep, the plan is bigger than one politician! Either that or he was just playing his lesser evil part.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Exv8densez]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I hope that the GOP understands the fact that the majority of the people look at them just as they look at the Democratic party. They are all a bunch of lying scum bags!!!
Vote them all out!! It will take at least two years for the new guy's to become corrupt

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Keep dreaming! If people really wanted a third party they would take the time to wise up and leave their stupid basic instincs behind. And then, they would still have to ask themeselve what would a third party be like and what "change" would it really bring.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
"You betcha"? You aren't even ashamed at all to say that out loud?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Not in the slighest. I'd take her anyday over Obama. [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cf1a2f17bf9.jpg[/atsimg]
To think the US got the better end of the deal in the 2008 election-knowing what we know now about Obama, his administration and his agenda is for somene to be complete denial about the current status of the US and where this contry is going if Obama isn't stopped-starting in November 2010.

Palin will be a major factor in most, if not all, of the big important races. She can bring in a crowd-of Voters. You'll see. She is not to be under-estimated.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce495b4c3aa9.jpg[/atsimg]

Palin packs them in-Nevada Tea-Party 2010

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Oh, and I have to add, since you included Obey in the OP.

I have offered my computer help for several candidates this year in the larger elections.

Anti incumbency and Libertarian parties are getting my help this year. I prefer the libertarians but will help the independents if they are Constitutional backers and liberal socially. An absolute fiscal conservative a must and anti tax a bonus.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exv8densez

You mean all that noise about revolution and end of the world was just so to get the opposite side in power? Get outta here!

I needed that!

thanks

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exv8densez

Get outta here!

No, I will not "get outta here". I have as much of a right to voice my opinion as you do.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
It's silly to go on an anti-incumbant train of thought...it really is especially when less than 20% of the representatives have served longer than 12 years.

I've stated before on these forums that you'll never see a real third party form in this country until...well...until people stop wanting to milk the two major parties.

Find me a real opponent that's running in this years election cycle that isn't a republican or democrat, please.

To be honest, part of me thought that the TEA party was the greatest idea to come from the electorate since the early 20th century, but instead of doing the rational thing and forming a new party, all the new candidates did was label themselves republicans and went on and on about how they can be more republican those already in office!

We'll never have a third party president in this country so long as the electoral college exists as it does. However, we can start with congress.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Glad I could make you laugh! Sometimes a little humor is the best way to go.

I mean, really! I was really starting to take seriously this whole revolution thing and my mind started to go a little crazy dreaming about Obama being the last prez to eventually screw up before Americans and the world finally could see a better futre. DAMNIT!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Hey, hey! Take it easy!

Obviously, I have no right to tell anybody to get out of ATS!

That was just sarcasm mate; like, are you kidding me!

top topics

join