It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My opinion on people who refuse to believe other intelligent life exists in the universe.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
IMO, people who refuse to believe that there is other intelligent life in the universe are at the same mental level as creationists who believe the world is 6000 years old. They are so incredibly ignorant that it's best to just smile or laugh at their opinions. Sure it's fun to debate them once in a while, but it's not going to change their ignorance level. The only thing that will change their beliefs is if they decide one day to use logical and rationale on the subject. Otherwise they just will keep living in their own little make-believe worlds.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Viper2]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viper2
IMO, people who refuse to believe that there is other intelligent life in the universe are at the same mental level as creationists who believe the world is 6000 years old. They are so incredibly ignorant that it's best to just smile or laugh at their opinions. Sure it's fun to debate them once in a while, but it's not going to change their ignorance level. The only thing that will change their beliefs is if they decide one day to use logical and rationale on the subject. Otherwise they just will keep living in their own little make-believe worlds.

You are referring to people such as me who think clearly and are not mentally conditioned to believe their pet theories. Since you are insulting a lot of intelligent members, do what is proper and supply irrefutable evidence for the existence of any other intelligent life anywhere in the universe. Since you won't be able to that then places you in the lowest rung of the ladder. Unlike you I live in the real world where evidence counts and fantasies are relegated to the mind.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
What is with the push of posts and threads around here from folks who seem to think that people who don't believe in alien life anywhere are the majority? I know at least here in the USA the majority of folks aren't foolish enough to steadfastly state that they don't believe life could exist anywhere. In fact, the majority fully believe that do.

What many people don't swallow, is if they are flying around appearing in youtube videos and dazzling the "open minded" through amazing online stories, lol.

But I want to make this very clear to you, let's see if you can follow this. The folks that don't believe in alien life anywhere in the universe are not your problem, they are not the ones that make this subject the laughable joke that it is.....your real problem is with the cooks, nutjobs and overall ignorant believers that leap to conclusions based on some pseudo-religious like cult/belief. They are the ones you should be upset with, because they make us all out to look like utter fools.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viper2
IMO, people who refuse to believe that there is other intelligent life in the universe are at the same mental level as creationists who believe the world is 6000 years old. They are so incredibly ignorant that it's best to just smile or laugh at their opinions.

Viper2,

I don't REFUSE to believe that there is other intelligent life somewhere in this vast universe and I certainly would never say that I require absolute proof that something exists. I am a faithful Catholic and I'm prepared to take a good many things on faith.

Let me also say that I am heavily into studying the sciences, the earth sciences in particular (geology, meteorology, astronomy etc). From my studies, I have concluded that there probably are other lifeforms on other planets. I would be very suprised indeed if we do not discover at least evidence that other life forms have existed on other planets. It only makes sense that other life may exist on planets with a similar temperature/pressue profile as the Earth.

However, yes, you're absolutely right in that I will require some proof or overwhelming evidence that ET's with the intelligence and means to travel over vast interstellar disances or interdimensionally are here now or were here in the past.

Finally judging by you saying that people who do not believe like you to do are 'incredibly ignorant' I have to think that your intention was to cause a fight or stir up trouble. It is quite possible to state a strong opinion with insulting others.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
There will be a certain number of people within all religions who would not accept the premise. There are some people who are too pragmatic to accept the idea. Then there would be a larger number of people that could not comprehend the numbers involved.

To say we are the only planet with life speaks volumes about the human ego and self importance.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I wouldn't put them that far down! Woah buddy.

I guess as long as they can go for microbial life, well that's a step up

Who knows we might be the 'starting' team for the Universe!

Explaining to someone that the Earth isn't 6,000 years old with science is hard, but doable, there is a vast amount of information pointing to 4.5 billion years old. Aliens on the other hand, especially intelligent ones, is a cloudy area with no hard evidence, the only thing you can really do is thought experiments in that area!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Viper2

Viper2, unless you yourself are an intelligent non-human species that lives or was born somewhere besides Earth, there is no "evidence" you can provide to convince anyone that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe.

All you can provide is evidence to give a theory more solid ground, but it's still just a theory.

But if you want to believe that than good for you. Blind faith never needed any proof behind it. It's not like you could see the proof anyways.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well, I agree with you

the science is behind the fact that there is life out there

so, if someone says they used their brains to realize that there cant be life out there, they are just proving they are ignorant and didnt research the science side of it

the reality is that there are billions of stars in our galaxy and billions of galaxies

the reality is that water and all those things came from asteroids

everything is connected

a great number of scientists believe there is life in our OWN solar system, can you believe that? in titan and europa

if we find life in our own solar system, it would be one of the greatest discovery of all time, since it would simply prove once for all that we cant be alone and there are probably inteligent life out there too

but as I said, the math and the science behind it are on the side of life everywhere

thats why I hate when people who believe they are smart talk about life, they are just ignorant and didnt do any type of research into our universe

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Show them just how big the universe is in relation to an estimate of all the galaxies out there. Compare our galaxy to those number of galaxies then compare the size of earth in relation to our galaxy. Now simply ask: You mean to tell me in ALL OF THAT, there is only us?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Who are these 'people'? Do you mean these one's? Because I can quite honestly say I have never seen/heard anyone claim that they flat out dont believe there is intelligent life out there.

It not such a ridiculous thing to say though, it is entirely possible that there is no intelligent life out there currently. You have to remember that for the majority of the time life has existed on this planet, all that existed was primitive life forms like bacteria etc. And out of 200 million species, only one is intelligent.

So while its not impossible that we're alone, and as long as someone isnt basing their opinion on something they read in the bible, then its not really anything to get emotional about!

new topics

top topics

join