It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Does ATS's Motto "Deny Ignorance" Mean To You?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully
To me it means that there are always different sides to the story and there are still truths in nature yet to be generally excepted. I search for the truth, whatever it may be.

Excellent example.

As the old adage says though :

Be careful of what you wish for as you may just find it.

Or even Friedrich Nietzsche said :

Quote from : Quotations Page : Friedrich Nietzsche

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Truth has many meanings, because it is facts mixed with perspective, via shared ideology.

Whether it is the truth, is often open to interpretation, based upon our knowledge.

And as well the intent behind why we seek it and or under what intent it is found.

Originally posted by slank
Classic denial.

If you deny it you never have to face up to it & deal with it.

And don't give me that stuff about denying it to starve it & not let it live, etc.

We all know ATS & everything on the planet is run by the NWO.

[facetious for raging flaming purposes only, lol]

[edit on 25-4-2010 by slank]

Funny.

Very funny, indeed.

Facetiousness is always a way to exert humor within a conversation.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
To me it means a few things wrapped up into one.

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

No single thing, is everything.

If you dont know, say so.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
In one of my very first threads I took my local experience of the Freemasons and tried to make it a bit jovial. At the time navigating ATS from BTS was still quite tricky, so I hardly went there. In any case I spoke a truth for my context and then FINALLY I got one reply which baffles me to this day: "This thread should be used by ATS mods as an example not to deny ignorance". Surprisingly it still lurks: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I understand the multiple meanings of the motto, but in that context it had me lying awake pondering for weeks...

Well, it sounds as if someone did not see your humor, or misinterpreted it.

Often enough, in an online environment, we lose the humor through a lack of hearing voice inflection, pitch, and timbre, and as well typed out words become more serious.

People are often threatened via the seen word, just as they are hearing it verbally.

And as well, some people are just cruel, abusive, and miserable and want to drag others down.

The difference here is they lash out and type out something, permanently seen.

Unless a Moderator sticks a warning on it.

One of the biggest problems in an online environment is "hearing" the intent.

If we lose our ability to physically hear through this being an environment where seeing the typed words comes into a stronger focus, people need to remember one thing.

Deny Ignorance.

We can always ask someone to clarify.

If we do not we are embracing ignorance.

And or assuming far too much.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
For me is it very simple. "Deny Ignorance" albeit a very broad declaration simply means to me that I am taking a stance, separating myself from the rest of the word, able to make my own decisions based on the evidence, and determine what is, for me, the "truth".

Denying ignorance is something you say to yourself before making any major decision.

Another very excellent example.

It is something unique to each individual.

An abstract meaning which is missed by many people.

I used to be someone who took things way too literally.

And as a child and teenager no less, and I had many hard lessons to learn.

If someone claimed my mother wore combat boots, I'd kick their ass.

They offended not only myself but my mother's honor.

I was an extreme "right-wing" Conservative Christian.

And because of my beliefs I always ended up in fights for speaking ill of non-Christians.

I learned humility in some regards but as well stopped being so judgmental.

I would not call myself "right-wing" nor "left-wing" now.

I walk in the middle of both and see both sides have flaws and idiosyncrasies.

And I walk the fine line between judging what is best for myself and teaching others.

This is of course when it is asked for and as well when it comes up through training opportunities.

I love the way I handle things now because instead of fighting breaking out I end up resolving issues more or less easily because of all the experiences I had.

Now if someone makes a comment about my mother wearing combat boots I do things differently.

It's one of the following :

SKL's Your Momma Wears Combat Boots Comebacks :

1) And her and those combat boots can kick your ass.

2) They sure have a nice shine on them.

3) Shall I tell her you complimented her on them?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
To me it means hit the "ALERT" button on a post when someone makes an ignorant statement that violates T&C, so that their post will get DENIED!

But on a more serious side, the Deny Ignorance theme is kind of like a "Is the glass half full or half empty" question.

Sometimes the ignorance abounds here on ATS, other times I'm very proud of my fellow members for seeing the truth behind a story despite the MSM's agenda.

In-other-words, sometimes ATS'rs are denying they are ignorant themselves, and sometimes ATS'rs are rejecting the ignorance being pushed onto them by the outside world. So it's appropriate to have a phrase that can be used both ways, IMO.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by harrytuttle]

Very funny first sentence.

As for the rest of your post, yes, I agree, the glass and how full or empty is a perfect example.

As I have mentioned to a few members, the meaning is an abstract one.

In order to fully appreciate it we must understand that things are not quite so literal.

Especially when speaking of politics, cover-ups, and other "conspiracy theories".

It is not just the literal meaning which defines something but it's abstract ideals.

An example would be the inner workings of Government.

Those people within Government may or may not all be corrupt, but it is not necessarily the entire Government at fault, but those people taking advantage of the environment.

And then those who are not only caught in the act but who are not held accountable.

In other words, if people know they can get away with something, they will take advantage.

Not necessarily is that always the case though as there are some upstanding individuals.

In my humble opinion, ATS picked the perfect motto, in Deny Ignorance.

It does not set what you will find, see, or discover, leaving it to you to decide.

This leaves room for interpretation, as well as leaves room for us to grow, and learn.

If we are to understand any of the things we find here on ATS we have to have an open mind.

But not so open that all of our brains fall out.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

What do you believe ATS's motto of "Deny Ignorance" means?

I think it just means "Agree with me" or "you're wrong, im right". This is the only way i see it used. It is only added on to the end of posts to insinuate that the other person is not denying ignorance and is therefore ignorant.

Well, while I can certainly see from your perspective, I respectfully disagree.

Please, feel free to expand upon and expound your meaning, as I am always willing to discuss differences of opinion, in regards to topics about ATS and on ATS.

Are you perhaps taking it too literally?

I know in my opinion, I try to show examples of intelligent discourse, through posting.

I go out of my way to not only agree, disagree, and or agree to disagree, but as well to speak on the topic, and not about the person themselves, but will call into question their behavior, if they are disrespectful and disregard the terms and conditions.

I always try to respect each person which is not always easy.

Some people just criticize for no other reason than to be obnoxious because it makes them feel better by belittling other people through online bullying and abusive behaviors.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

It means to me:

1 - don't post (shoot) from the hip.
2 - do the research to understand the subject or issue.
3 - put some of your own thoughts into your posts.
4 - do not post on both sides of an issue - as in you hated Bush for doing something, but are OK with obama doing the same thing.. Deny Hypocrisy!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

It means refuse to believe that ignorance exists. Maybe I am reading it wrong. In another thread I mention, unless you are using "deny" as in to keep from life giving nourishment, therefore causing it to die...it doesn't quite click.
Ignorance can be minimized, eradicated or cured but I don't think it can be denied. It is after all, everywhere.

I use it as your third sentence defines it.

Deny ignorance the right to life by starving it out.

That is of course, my interpretation, perception, and usages of it as a whole.

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
To me it means a few things wrapped up into one.

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

No single thing, is everything.

If you dont know, say so.

Agreed.

When I train people I tell them to ask questions, no matter what they are.

And I tell them there are no stupid questions.

Because if they have not asked questions how do I know they understand the training?

Good post.

Originally posted by centurion1211

It means to me:

1 - don't post (shoot) from the hip.
2 - do the research to understand the subject or issue.
3 - put some of your own thoughts into your posts.
4 - do not post on both sides of an issue - as in you hated Bush for doing something, but are OK with obama doing the same thing.. Deny Hypocrisy!

Agree.

Research, explore the information, and above all comprehend the concepts.

Even if you do not agree with the other person's perspective.

As for number 4 on your list, I will add a caveat, at least from my understanding.

While I railed against Bush, it began in 2005, on ATS, after the beginning of his 2nd term.

I had only began railing against Bush in 2005, on ATS, meanwhile I had just verbally railed about him, in real life since he stole the election in 2000.

I was railing against Clinton prior to him and Obama after him.

To each of their particular political pecuiliarities.

That is because of my understanding of politics in general and as well both parties.

I did wait to give Obama an opportunity and see how he did.

Considering he was not a blip on my radar prior to running for Presidential office, I say I gave him a fair shake, since I had never heard his name prior to 2007/2008.

I was not disappointed in the least, he did exactly what I felt he would, which was politics as usual, using rhetoric, as an ambiguous means to obfuscate.

Of course, the opposition party is as well trying to make him a lame duck, so some of it is his fault, and some of it is those sabotaging him, but both are to blame.

Below is my strongest opposition to Bush.

Political Collusion of a President and Congress in Collapsing America, The Fall of the New Rome

...and...

This one is one of my strongest oppositions to Obama.

Obamaland : Cotton Candy, Gumdrops, and Rainbow Dreams, This is the Land of Collusion

Just to clarify, I am posting those as a direct reply to you, centurion1211.

As a point of pointing out that I have railed against both parties.

And I will as long as I live considering I am a registered Independent.

Being neither "right-wing" nor "left-wing" I support the nation as a whole.

Instead of half-measures which is what I believe both parties try and succeed in doing.

Divide and Conquer, keep the people divided, and our attention is distracted.

Which is politics as usual, no matter the political party, and as well no matter partisan politics.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
To Deny ignorance to me is:

To not allow the declaration of something being untrue.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Hey King,

Good question. I never actually gave it a lot of thought but I always interpreted as...well..you know..

it thought we were talking about those people that really never question why, where, what, who. The people that just react without thinking for them selfs. People without passion........ I thought we were suppose to refuse to believe that, because they are a majority, they are correct.

That's really how I understood it.

The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

If this is the definition of ignorance . than I should be ignored on a permanent basis...

Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Excellent observantions and beliefs.

Each individual is going to take away from the words Deny Ignorance something specific to them.

Based upon perception.

Those two words, innocent sounding enough, have a mighty meaning.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join