It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking warns over making contact with Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Stephen Hawking warns over making contact with Aliens

news.bbc.co.uk

Aliens almost certainly exist but humans should avoid making contact, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

In a series for the Discovery Channel the renowned astrophysicist said it was "perfectly rational" to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere.

But he warned that aliens might simply raid Earth for resources, then move on.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Interesting.

Prof Hawking thinks that, rather than actively trying to communicate with extra-terrestrials, humans should do everything possible to avoid contact.

It makes you wonder about the safety of broadcasting radio waves throughout Space giving our location and what we look like.
You wouldn't walk up to a random stranger in the street and tell them where you live and all about yourself, nor would you do so online. So, why would you do that same to interplanetary-neighbours?

Apparently, the comments were made as part of a Discovery Channel series on alien life. Might be worth watching if you are interested.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said.

That's a great way of putting it. I haven't thought about it that way. I am certainly going to check out this Discovery channel series if I can.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's sad to say but it's true. Just like the animals that inhabit the planet with us everything and everyone should indeed remain cautious. Things may not happen exactly as portrayed in the Hollywood movies or the printed text, but there is perhaps a 50% chance that something of similar scenario could happen.
This is to say that there still is a chance that people could be as nice as people who help the down trodden. I suppose only time will tell.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think though with techs they may have they may be able to control reality more than us. So who knows they may be controlling our reality already, lol, and there is nothing we can do.

If i was an alien species, i would never show myself, i would just use techs like mind control to control somewhere like earth. How would they know.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
already posted guys
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
those words are wise words from a very wise man.

Hawking really has a good head on his shoulders

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
absolutely right point of view. like childrens, we assume strangers to be good willing and benevolent.

Originally posted by Emphursis

Interesting.

It makes you wonder about the safety of broadcasting radio waves throughout Space giving our location and what we look like.
You wouldn't walk up to a random stranger in the street and tell them where you live and all about yourself, nor would you do so online. So, why would you do that same to interplanetary-neighbours?

Apparently, the comments were made as part of a Discovery Channel series on alien life. Might be worth watching if you are interested.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Although the title is different, this material is covered in this earlier thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join