It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted Hotels Around the World - An Ongoing Experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Greetings one and all,

Just ti fill everyone in on my proposal and some back ground. The haunted hotel is a staple in paranormal studies, I have always been somewhat of a believer, so I am not out to debunk any of these things, just to try and see just how prolific this is. I am not also some millionaire philanthrapist who just sails around the world staying in hotels. But I do travel extensively for work, and spend about 280 days a year in hotels. (not as glamorous as it sounds believe me!!) basically work picks up the tab!

But with this in minds last night I was bored and playing with my Ipod. and found an app called Ghost Radar by Spudpickles
Ghost Radar

This claims to pick up on quantum fluctuations in the environment of the EMF using the sensors inbuilt in the ipod, analyze them and display them, and even interpret signals as words!!! which is quite freaky but fun at the same time.

So in this "spirit" and as I am in a hotel at the moment in Jamaica at decided to give it a go. what I got did not surprise me so much as i have always known that building hold energy, and with the turn over of different people coming and going over time so it's not surprising that there was something here to detect. What did surprise me was the frequency of targets, and the frequency of the words coming out

I left it running as I went to sleep and in a 2 hour period, it picked up 55 words!! none of which made any sense to me, but I think this was a definite result.

Ok so what I propose is that as I move from hotel to hotel, I post it here with the results with the aim to build up some sort of database reference on hotel location and the results found, and with a determination of possible paranormal activity. And I invite people with iphone or ipod to do the same in other locations or hotels and get a form of collaborative information base.

Findings in next post

Thanks all,

jakiusfogg

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Jamaica - New Kingston - Courtleigh Hotel and Suites - Room 201

24th April 2010
23:00 - 02:00
Frequency of targets after 10 minute calibrate >1 per minute.
Word count = 61
Interesting word sequences

Them-her-attack - fits the etymology of Jamaican Patois

bee-love - again jamaican

Respect - Standard word around here

Physical paranormal activity - None that I noticed

Physical feelings / cold spots - Non noticed

Conclusion - the app says there is something here, and quite active, physical phenomena does not support this - Rssult: possible activity - maybe need to have a chat with the staff -

Whoa! at the time of writing the last sentence about speaking with the staff, the app just bleeped the word "discover" at me!!! hmm

All good

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
hey sounds like an intersting idea, but i dont know how accurate a iphone app is gonna be.. I mean how exactly does it work? a sensor detects EM activity and translates it into words? Sounds kind of like a BS app to me...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well that's as maybe but for a guy on the road its the best I can do. The site has some interesting information on it - and the posts on the board of others using this same app, have had some interesting readings.

the app itself seems quality enough.

Apparently uses the inbuilt transceivers - accelerometers - wifi connections etc. I don;t know how the programming works, but looks pretty good. Check out the site.

At the end its just a bit of fun, and an inexpensive easy and fun way to possibly get a mass collaborative data set

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
My wife is really into the ghostly investigations. She has gone so far as to buy some of the equipment used on "TAPS." she has even been in communication with the TAPS team, and is trying to get them to come down and look at one of the haunted hotels in our area. She and my daughter have done a few investigations on their own, and have turned up some evidence that is hard to explain without the presence of ghosts.

Even though I am not really interested in that sort of thing, I have had two encounters with "ghosts" that impressed me significantly. I wouldn't say that I am a proponent, but I am a believer in what I experienced.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It's very interesting that some of the word combos that came up were specific to the region you are staying in. I'll have to check out this app. We enjoy staying at haunted hotels, so far since we got interested a few years ago we have stayed at the Hassayampa, the Hotel Vendome, the Bisbee Grand, the Jerome Grand and the Hotel St Nicholas. I'll get the app and try it out next time we go!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Nice one - you can get the lite version for free which is just a basic radar, but has all the toys on it - or there is a more advanced version for .99c that you can download, where the tuning can be customised to "filter out" excess EMF noise.

Now I don't exactly know what that means, but it sounds good!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
But I do travel extensively for work, and spend about 280 days a year in hotels. (not as glamorous as it sounds believe me!!) basically work picks up the tab!

Perhaps since you spend so much time in hotels you could try to choose hotels which have a reported history of ghost sightings to stay in? If that doesn't make you uncomfortable of course...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Although that would be a good idea, I don't always know where I am going to be, and from what i have seen there is not a comprehensive list of reported occurrences in hotels around the world so don't always know what's where.

I guess the idea here is rather than the old historical guest house, is to see if there is something in the busy, high footfall, mainline places, that could be just as haunted as the 150 year old ex saloon, or pub places, or the old converted houses that used to be a mansion where a fmaily was murdered etc.

You know the sort of places that seem "normal" when in fact they are very far from it!!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Awesome, there is a place in Okianwa Japan that doesnt get much attention. I forget the name of it, but when I can I'll start a thread on it. The place was sick. And scary, and we went during the day, thats how much of an erieing feeling you get.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I would just buy an EMS detector on ebay for 20 bucks over an Ipod app.

You can get a decent one cheap.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Harper's Ferry, West Virginia is filled with ghost stories - more than one can count, it seems. When I was young, the best ghost tour of the town was conducted by the woman who ran a small, but very nice inn which was, itself, supposedly haunted by the ghost of a murdered Civil War era soldier.

I believe it was the Town's Inn, which is still apparently the home of these ghost tours, though now conducted by others.

Here's the ghost tours site. In addition to the ghost stories, the tour covered all manner of other strange, tragic and macabre tales of things that happened in Harper's Ferry over the years.

[edit on 4/25/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
there is a poster, who works at an unamed hotel, supposely the hotel she works at has alot of paranormal activity especially in one certain room. I know, it sounds like another room 1308 knock off, but I frankly do believe that hotels are great places for ghosts and spirits to hang out in. If I was dead I would definitely want to spend some time there. If the OP wants to try this place and room out, then I will be glad to find the link to the poster i mention above, maybe you can convince them to give you the location to the hotel. Or set something up.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
A full on EMF meter would be a little large to carry around with me on Business travel. so the app works for me.

Just inviting people to share their experiences on hotels here along with me and not just the ones "known" for it

Example, maybe somone would post

Room 123 At the Holiday Inn in Tulsa is really active!! (I dont know this)

But NO ONE would expect that!, so I think that would be interesting, especially for us road warrior types!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Hi,

I have a few for ya:

CO

The Oxford Hotel, Denver CO -work here

The Boulderrado, Boulder CO - investigated it
The Brown Palace, Denver CO - worked there
Devils Thumb Ranch, Tabernash, Co - worked there
The Broodmore, Colorado Springs - want to do this one!
The Stanley, Estes Park, Co -kinda boring, but there is activity, did an investigation there

CA
The Drake Hotel, San Fran, Ca - stayed there on leisure (did not get much sleep;(

The Queen Mary, Long Beach, CA - kinda boring, but it is active, went there on leisure

AZ

The Randolph Hotel Tucson, AZ This is a GREAT ONE! Did MANY investigations there
Hotel Congress Tucson, AZ, many investigations

O.K. ya know what

find me on facebook: amy apr allan
I have a huge list there

tired to list them all
sorry!

Also the virgin islands etc..,

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Interesting.

I've heard pretty decent things about the iOvilus as well which is a similar application that is based on an actual piece of equipment.

www.appstorehq.com...

Might be interesting to do a comparison between what both apps pick up in the same location.

I'm a Blackberry fan myself so the odds of me ever trying the app myself are slim but don't think I haven't contemplated getting an iPhone just for these types of apps.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I got both and the Ovilus seems to be missing a lot of features that the Ghost Radar has. The Ghost Radar saves each "recording session" by date/time automatically, and you can email any session to yourself (or someone else, presumably). You can also change the "frequency" it is picking up words on.

However... I have been experimenting with them at home and elsewhere, and they spit out random words wherever you happen to be. I gave up on the Ovilus after the first five minutes as a joke. I'm still somewhat intrigued by the Ghost Radar. I am not giving up on that one yet, as I am interested to see what it comes up with when I visit my next haunted hotel. But, as an observation, the Ovilus immediately started spewing out dark themed words such as knife and blood, after five minutes in my bathroom (I live in a home that was built two years ago and we are the only owners), whereas the Ghost Radar is providing more innocuous words that do seem to be more influenced by the environment (although they could easily just be random). For instance, in the car, "wagon" came up. Anyway, I'm leaning the direction that Ghost Radar is just pure entertainment, but will still try it out at the next place we stay for grins.

new topics

top topics

join