Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Unemployment for Those Who Earn $150,000 or More is Only 3%, While Unemployment for the Poor is 31%

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by verbal kint

Sorry, 10k a month isn't rich. Especially because you have no idea of other debts in play.

If you think 10k a month is rich you aren't thinking big enough.

I guess it is rich to someone who makes 10 to 20 bucks an hour, or around that, who can only rent with always owning an older used car and living payday to payday never saving a cent.

But to someone who wants to own a house in an average nice neighborhood, a new car every 5 or so years, actually retire one day from work, help their kids have a better life with a better education/chance then what they had, have good healthcare/insurance for their whole family, and be generally happy...10k a month ain't crap...hehe

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

It is unfortunate that it takes those amounts to make a solid living and put your kids through school.

Just puts even more of a premium on working hard and taking what you can when you can.

Until that changes it is just the way it is.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Sorry, 10k a month isn't rich. Especially because you have no idea of other debts in play.

If you think 10k a month is rich you aren't thinking big enough.

I think it's more likely that you may be thinking too big. 10k/mo is roughly $500 per workday. Just to keep things in perspective, consider:
A single mother of 5, on welfare, and going to school gets just over $500/mo. plus food stamps.
I'm not saying that example is "aiming high"; I just want to point out that if our 10k guy takes ONE DAY without pay per month, that mother's ENTIRE MONTHLY INCOME could be DOUBLED. ...DOUBLED. That's a BIG difference. And 10k guy wouldn't even notice. Actually, he 'shouldn't' notice. However, if he needs a new car every 5 year, unused rooms in his house, ample running room for his two golden retrievers, and a heated swimming pool, yes he may be on the edge of his 10k and actually feel that $500.
Take a trip down to El Paso, Texas. Go to the river and take a look across at their homes in and around Juarez. Now, I haven't been there in over 20 years, but if it's anything like it was then, maybe an 8 year old car could be considered luxurious. Maybe I could play tennis at the park instead of my backyard.
I dunno, man, I live like a king and I don't make anything near 10k per month. If one thing holds true in our universe it seems to be that the balance is maintained. Bill Gates seems like a decent guy. He isn't taking bread from the mouths of starving children. He gives massively. But for each plus he has, there's a minus somewhere.
All our stuff is pretty neat. Driving a nice, new car feels good. Tiptronic shifting is pretty cool, but I'd rather see a more balanced distribution of wealth. Shift our values towards individual creativity, innovation, and originality rather than individual purchasing power.

Man! Did I put the "pp" in Hippy or what?!?! I'm feeling nauseous.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Carseller4

Also, if you can command such a salary, you obviously have skills in demand and are therefore much less likely to be unemployed. He in the UK, it is generally the very young and unskilled people who are out of work, whereas those with skills and experience either get jobs or remain in employment.

It is rather snobbish to bleat about the "poor" not having jobs while the "rich" (I'd hardly call $150k a year as that rich, relatively) do. Most of those on these salaries have probably worked hard, got qualifications and are valuable people.

Bottom line is, if you're one of these "poor" why not try to better yourself and become one of the "rich", nothing is stopping you.

I would say the majority of people earning over 150,000 a year have been to private schools. Therefor the rich have an advantage in this situation. I cant believe you've been fooled into believing we live in a meritocracy. It's much harder for an inner city youth from a poor back ground to make 150,000 a year than someone who has been sent to the best schools and universities. Get real.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

So the only type of "valued" work is hard labour?

My parents were DIRT poor, and this has led me to bust my ass day in and day out. I know what poor is, and I will NEVER go back.

I'm on call 24/7/365.

I have an average of 14hr work day, 6 days a week.

I watch my children grow up through pictures.

I haven't seen most of my family, extended, for years.

My decision can make or BREAK the company.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
We allow politicians to start off at $174,000 a year with massive benefits but the average citizen makes $26,000 a year. Most important part of that sentence was the first two words. Maybe it is time to give them a pay cut. I think they deserve about $26,000 a year starting out and when the average citizen makes more that is when they get more. Then they will actually work to make better jobs for everyone.

Let them eat cake.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lord Zinideus

That's a lovely little catch-22.

What kind of politicians will you get at $26,000 / year?

Probably not very good ones.

So is a good enough wage to get them out of the private sector neccesarry?

Yes, but, and this is a big but, we need to hold politicians accountable to their designated job to ensure that the public get's the full $174k value out of their politicians per the year worked.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Ahhh, that is part of the problem.

"So is a good enough wage to get them out of the private sector neccesarry?"

Most of them on both sides of the political divide are career politicans. How many years did Obama and Reagan actually work? One was an Actor, and the other was a Community Organizer.

From local city and state polticians, to the feds, there are not many who have worked long or hard in the private sector.

We pay a lot of money for people who work hard at being poltical.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

That's were accountability comes in.

And maybe a maximum term limit assigned to the person, not just the office.

There are lots of areas that the government could be made better/more efficient before slashing salaries that bring in top quality prospects.

They could aslo eliminate redundant "study groups" and "oversite commitees". And they should seriously look into oversite commitees, it should be illegal to have a politician with personal investments in the same sector that they are an oversite member for. Should really fall under conflict of interest.

The sad part is, if all the bearucratic BS and wasteful spending was cut, you could increase salaries and still cut taxes.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I don't know what you're talking about or where you are at in the world, because I filed here and guess what? I can't get it, here in Florida you cannot receive benefits if you either quit or were fired so the employer could lay you off and say you were fired, therefore you wouldn't receive a dime, that's what happened to me twice here. In PA it's also the case. In most states this is the case the only way to recieve any benefits is if you were laid off, if you quit or got fired you can't get diddly

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

You should run for office.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Uh, yeah the middle class is being wiped out in real time, yet the people are still doing crapola about it. I'm pretty much with Max Keiser at this point -- The people have got a taste for slavery, and I think they like it.

Yes, yes, apparently the majority here do like it.

Screw it. You guys will get the government you deserve, and I'll have no more sympathy for you. My parents are rich and I'll be eating my 3 meals a day while you guys starve to death because you were too stupid and without any balls to do anything about it when you had the chance.

Don't flame me. I had my notebook of articles, studies, references, and handed out DVD's since 2006. I went out all across the metroplex to communities of every socioeconomic status and tried to inform the people, but they just didn't care.

You reap what you sow.

bon voyage!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This type of stuff blows me away.

Glad to see I live in a Rich mans World

[edit on 3-8-2010 by cosmo740]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Kiss up to Wall St.? You mean working my ass off to better myself? I like the terms you use.

But I will agree that banks are notorious for overdrafts where they wont deposit your funds for one day and then hit you with the fees. I've been victim to that about 100 times as well. Quite costly indeed.

Cash is king.

This only helps to prove my theory about how wrong the thinking of the world is that the best and brightest are the ones that succeed, because well, I only had to deal with this kind of crap three times before I pulled my money out of the banks permanently and save it in a jar!!!! See people like you should be too stupid to succeed but somehow every day dummies like yourself are getting the rewards while some very brilliant people are struggling. I fail to see how someone as stupid as you can make it any other way besides kissing wall streets A%%!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmo740
This type of stuff blows me away.

Glad to see I live in a Rich mans World

[edit on 3-8-2010 by cosmo740]

You didn't have to and it's still not technically too late. The people are simply several steps behind is all.

Educate, Organize, Revolt, Fight by any means necessary.

Screw the spiritual peace bs.

The ruling class must be dethroned by force.

Time is running out.

..tick, tock, tick, tock..

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hardamber
I'm not so sure my comment belongs here. I adopted my daughter when she was seven from a family that has a background of alcoholism, unemployment and slack morals. She has one aunt who has had five children by five different men. Each of her children has been taken away from her in the hospital. They are some of the dumbest and morst worthless people I personally know. We have raised our daughter in a high income home with every kind of help available to her. I have devoted myself to taking care of her and she is melting down on me. We have put all the money she will need for college in an account for her and guess what? She could care less. She was talking to a kid about becoming a prostitute. She says she was joking, but given the other problems we are having with her, I'm not so sure. She has no direction in life. She said she does not deserve to have a good man. If she thinks something is good, she runs from it and looks for the worst she can get. Instead of aiming for the bullzeye, she is happy to just get a dart on the board.

My point is, some people are destined to be in the lower class because they lack something inside to pull themselves up. I know we are living in a nasty economic downturn, but people need to try and rise above their circumstance through good character and hard work. I feel very bad for the people who still have it rough and are doing all the right things. Students need to care more about their future than their face book, cell phones and ipods. Our culture has just about ruined the next generation.

Wait a minute? You are actually blaming her real parents who had nothing to do with her upbringing on her behaviour? I think the real problem is the people who did the up bringing i.e you. How dare you say because someones family is this or that, that they automatically must be the same? I know lots of people who have had the most horrid upbringings and turned out to be far better people than their parents were. Your comment has got to be one of the worst i have ever read on ATS regarding human beings. Perhaps spend a bit more time with your child and teach her life has more to offer than go blaming her biological parents, just seems like an easy cop-out to me

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Kiss up to Wall St.? You mean working my ass off to better myself? I like the terms you use.

But I will agree that banks are notorious for overdrafts where they wont deposit your funds for one day and then hit you with the fees. I've been victim to that about 100 times as well. Quite costly indeed.

Cash is king.

One thing that I have noticed is it seems that those complaining are people who have not continually improved themselves and continually worked to imporve their livehood, or they are rather young and want things to just fall into their laps.

I'm 49 now and my life didn't really start to get what I conceder

First of all, this is the point I am trying to make, that people like you who think we are dumb those whom haven't really made it in this world, yet at least we have more intelligence than you, at least we know the difference between a Conceder and consider,
con·cede (kn-sd)

v. con·ced·ed, con·ced·ing, con·cedes
v.tr.
1. To acknowledge, often reluctantly, as being true, just, or proper; admit. See Synonyms at acknowledge.
2. To yield or grant (a privilege or right, for example).

Consider:
1. To think carefully about.
2. To think or deem to be; regard as. See Usage Note at as1.
3. To form an opinion about; judge: considers waste to be criminal.
4. To take into account; bear in mind: Her success is not surprising if you consider her excellent training.
5. To show consideration for: failed to consider the feelings of others.
6. To esteem; regard.
7. To look at thoughtfully.
v.intr.

free dictionary

You still think the brightest and the best are the only people who make it? If that was the case we really wouldn't have to give the big corporations the big bailouts!!!! UUHHHHH...DUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by ldyserenity]

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join