It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prompt Global Strike Is Now In Orbit, X37B Was Just A Cover....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...=OTC-RSS&attr=797093

With all the focus on the launch of the secret X37B, another space launch by a Minotaur IV rocket from Vandenberg Air Force base in California received less attention.

It was carrying the prototype of a new weapon that can hit any target around the world in less than an hour.

The Prompt Global Strike is designed as the conventional weapon of the future. It could hit Osama bin Laden’s cave, an Iranian nuclear site or a North Korean missile with a huge conventional warhead.

Weapons in space are now a reality, and the cat's out of the bag.
The Americans have no right to demand that other nations can't launch their own weapons now.

I'll be back as soon as I get anything else on this, but I depend on ATS members to do some digging.

Edit: I edit.....

[edit on 25/4/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
My thoughts on this are the same, its just a feeling ive got but the thing is ideal for the carrying/testing of nuclear technology/weapons technology due to it being unmanned and capable of such long stints in orbit and beyond. IMO a definite precursor to where we're heading.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
All i can say about this is, the government has more neck than a giraffe, how can they bang on about nuclear weapons then go and do this?
Unbelievable hypocracy, dont be suprised when countries do NOT hand over anything now,
This "Could" provoke anything!!!
Well done

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The Minotaur IV launch was not for the deployment of a space based weapon.
It was test of the HTV-2, a hypersonic glider which was released and meant to glide (very quickly) across the Pacific to Kwajelein. Apparently the test was not entirely successful.

But tracking assets lost contact with the triangle-shaped craft 9 minutes after liftoff. "An engineering team is reviewing available data to understand this event," DARPA said in a written statement.

After its release from the Minotaur third stage, the craft was designed to try out its aerodynamic control system and conduct sweeping turns to bleed off excess energy and demonstrate its cross-range capabilities.

spaceflightnow.com...

The next test is scheduled for next year.

[edit on 4/25/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ahwww. Phage beet me to it.

Here's another article

www.space.com...

A new Minotaur launch vehicle derived from retired missile parts successfully blasted off from the California coast Thursday, but officials lost contact with a hypersonic glider testbed for a U.S. military quick-response global strike system.

Looks like Phage is right about it being a failed attempt, but how he thinks this isn't a weapon I'll never know. The very first paragraph of the article I linked calls it a "testbed for a U.S. military quick response global stike system." I don't know how it could sound any more like a weapon then that.

Edit to add:

And look at that picture Phage linked to. LOL. They are certainly trying to keep this a secret as possible. I mean come on. They actually tried to send this thing into space, it really exists, but do we get photos? NO. We get a computer graphic that looks like it took about 3 seconds to make.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by fieryjaguarpaw]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

It is (was) a testbed, far from being a deployable system. It was not a weapon being tested.

The PGS system is not intended to place weapons in orbit, it is not a space based system. It is based on ballistic missiles and hypersonic aircraft.

[edit on 4/25/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

It is (was) a testbed, far from being a deployable system.

You are correct that it is in its testing phase, but what I was saying about the graphic is that the thing is a physical craft that they have already launched. The picture is just funny to me. I could draw a better picture, and I have no idea what the thing really looks like.

It was not a weapon being tested.

Well obviously it was.

The PGS system is not intended to place weapons in orbit, it is not a space based system. It is based on ballistic missiles and hypersonic aircraft.

OK. You got me there. When I wrote "They've already tried to send this thing into space." I guess I was wrong. From what I've read it looks like it skims off the atmosphear like a rock skipping on water, rather than crossing the technical boundary of space, but feel free to correct me if that's not accurate. To be honest what I've read is alittle vauge and confusing to me. They talk more about the rocket that launches the thing rather than the thing itself.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
All i can say about this is, the government has more neck than a giraffe, how can they bang on about nuclear weapons then go and do this?
Unbelievable hypocracy, dont be suprised when countries do NOT hand over anything now,
This "Could" provoke anything!!!
Well done

I think I either posted in the wrong thread or I was looking at another thread and was posting at this one following the wrong quote.

That was what I intended to post

X-20 Dyna-Soar

The X-20 Dyna-Soar ("Dynamic Soarer") was a United States Air Force (USAF) program to develop a spaceplane that could be used for a variety of military missions, including reconnaissance, bombing, space rescue, satellite maintenance, and sabotage of enemy satellites. The program ran from 24 October 1957–10 December 1963, cost US$660 million, and was canceled just after spacecraft construction had begun.

Other spacecraft under development at the time, such as Mercury or Vostok, were based on space capsules which returned on ballistic re-entry profiles. Dyna-Soar was much more like the much later Space Shuttle: it could not only be boosted and travel to distant targets at the speed of an intercontinental ballistic missile, it was designed to glide to earth like an airplane under the control of the pilot. It could land at an airfield, rather than simply falling to earth and landing with a parachute. Dyna-Soar could also reach earth orbit, like Mercury or Gemini.

Nice project, way ahead of its time, but not like this one:

Silbervogel, German for silver bird, was a design for a rocket-powered sub-orbital bomber aircraft produced by Eugen Sänger and Irene Bredt in the late 1930s
I don't find it any bit suspicious these guys were looking waaaaaay ahead of their time.

Self explaining link.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by spacebot]

new topics

top topics

join