It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The skeptics will never be convinced - no matter what! ( not a hate thread :) )

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

There have been alot of clips of possible UFO's, pictures and credible discussion and fact's shared but yet they choose not listen or see logic.

Skeptics will not accept flawed "logic".

A true skeptic can certainly be convinced. They do so by demanding the evidence. No skeptic will accept a preponderance of web videos or personal testimonies as they fall far short of what any reasonable person would describe as acceptable evidence. Don't mistake this for "choosing not to listen or see logic". They're actually listening more closely and following more strict standards of logic than a believer ever would. Skeptics do not believe. Skeptics accept truth based on irrefutable evidence. Sadly for alien believers, there exists no irrefutable evidence.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The problems occur when, from the outset, some people have their mind up, one way or another, and have no intention of accepting an argument from the other side.

There are many people, like myself, who believe that many hoaxes have been committed, but that other evidence clearly demonstrates things that cannot be understood by conventional means.

However, what I see, from both sides, is an irrational need to support everything told by "their" side. The UFO believers will tend to support many conspiracy theories that are unrealistic. UFO debunkers will take even the best evidence of UFOs and automatically dismiss it. but, for the people in the middle, both extremes are at fault.

It is as bad as Congress. If a Democrat is President, then almost anything he supports is immediately ridiculed by the Republicans, even when it is a good decision. If a Republican is President, the Congressional Democrats then turn around and do the same thing. I have had friends who died for this country. They didn't put a Democratic flag on their coffins, nor a Republican flag - it was an American flag. If these people love this country so much they will sacrifice themselves for America, why won't the people in Congress show more concern for their party than they do for this nation?

Extremism, on nearly any front, is going to create error. If an argument is worthy, from any side of an issue, people should view that argument on its own merits, not whether it supports their pre-conceived viewpoint!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

Yes there are some that just wont believe no matter what they hear, and also some people that beleive everything they hear and see.

What seperates us is the time we spend inestigating and researching things. You dont need some massive firm or lots of money, just nneed to know how to use the internet effectively.

@ traditional drummer - yes but as i said some people have the pre conceived notion that it isnt possible and it's not true, half the time they probably dont even read the full thread or any research that has gone into a topic. The see the title read abit of it and bang '' it's not true or it's a hoax''
As i said i dont have hate for this people just pitty.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If someone from 200 years ago was told about the Internet, microwave ovens, high-speed railways, 747s, spaceflight, etc., would have said that those things were impossible, and that anyone believing such garbage was a fool?

If beings from another planet are visiting us, they aren't doing so by magic - they simply have better technology than we have. that means we could learn something from them. If governments have, in fact, been using technology gained through alien sources, it is highly unlikely they are going to tell us. The F-117 had been flying for over seven years before the Government finally admitted it, and that was largely due to research by dedicated people following a crash of one of the aircraft.

To believe erverything, or disbelieve everything, is neither rational nor a sign of intelligence. For things we simply don't understand, step back a take a clear look at the evidence. Things that seem impossible have been known to BECOME possible!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

lol they probably would have been called a witch and burned for their idea's.

As i said Einstein never got a Nobel Prize for the Theory of Relativity becuase they didn't understand it.
It still happens today, just try to explain Quantum Mechanics to someone that isnt into science...omg they look at you like ur a nutcase. I told my mum about time dilation and she said ''dont beleieve everything you hear''. I couldnt beleive it!!

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Havick007]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Chadwickus, come on mate -are you suggesting pseudo-sceptics don't exist?

Whether or not they exist is not the point. Rather, without naming names, some members define "pseudoskeptic" as "anyone who doesn't agree" or "any skeptic." They want to subvert the term "skeptic" and apply it to themselves.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Ah yes, I agree the term may be over-used and I also agree about those cheeky pseudo-believers - perhaps 'pseudo-sceptics' have far more in common with people who think everything is a UFO than they like to think (two sides of the same coin and all that).

Its a bit cheesy but I've always liked this quote when it comes to the importance of objectivity:

"Sit down before facts like a child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses Nature leads, or you shall learn nothing."

T.H. Huxley

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Disagreement is ok, it's in our nature to question things which is good.

It's people that will not believe in something no matter what. I was not having a dig at all skeptics, there are many that take the time to research things as do many beleivers of things. But there are many who without resarch or basis label things a hoax or fake or explainable. The same goes for some believers or fanatics, they dont take the time to research things but spread junk and beleive whatever they hear or are attention seekers.
A great example is a thread going on here about and alternate timeline and its about 54 pages... i mean come one are you serious?? Whether or not it's possible it's all back and fourth arguments about yes and no and people saying what's changes and that New Zealand was on the other side of Australia in their timeline. I posted a map whick shows New Zealand on the opposite side of Australia due to it being enlarged and put there for easy map viewing, i asked could a map like this have confused you considering you live in America and may not always be looking at maps of Aus and NZ, and their like oh nono thats not it, i wouldnt be confused from a seeing map 10 years ago. That just annoys me, it's junk. Instead of debating it why not research the issue and find causes and possibilites. I never ruled out the possibility of it happening just offering a solution of map confusion ( quite plausible )

If it happened fine, but try to find out why it happened and what may cause it. How could it affect a small select group? The same applies for anything here, rather than dbate and argue or offer off the cuff remarks, do some research and spend some time on a subject.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

It's people that will not believe in something no matter what. I was not having a dig at all skeptics, there are many that take the time to research things as do many beleivers of things. But there are many who without resarch or basis label things a hoax or fake or explainable..

So what? Who cares if they won't accept it. How does that affect you?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Because people should not be so nieve. I really dont care, it's more the fact of finding out what makes them not want to beleive???
That's what it is sometimes, not an objective view but some sort of hate for people that believe.
What if one day the government comes forward and said yes we know and they have been here etc. What would the total non believers do?

That might not happen but what if?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Because people should not be so nieve. I really dont care, it's more the fact of finding out what makes them not want to beleive???

What is naive about requiring irrefutable evidence?

That's what it is sometimes, not an objective view but some sort of hate for people that believe.

That seems a bit irrational. A true skeptic doesn't hate believers, in fact, usually it's the other way around.

What if one day the government comes forward and said yes we know and they have been here etc. What would the total non believers do?

That might not happen but what if?

At that point, the government making the claims has to pony up some tangible evidence for review and testing by objective scientists for confirmation, otherwise it's another hollow, meaningless claim by governments.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I completely agree...short of a dozen UFO's landing on the front lawn of the White House and shaking hands with the President on Live television, I don't think they'll ever accept it.

...and even then there would still be people calling B.S *lol*

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Because not everyting you see here is irrefutable, but they will say it is. As i said i am not directing this at ALL skeptics only some that never believe a thing and always have an explaination for sighting's no matter what.
What about the Nellis sighting? What was your explaination?

This clip interested me:

www.youtube.com...

Watch the whole clip, it's the sudden burst of acceleration that got me interested.
People may say it's fake and many youtube comments will show that, but what really got me interested was the acceleration burst at 57 seconds into the clip.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

As i said i am not directing this at ALL skeptics only some that never believe a thing and always have an explaination for sighting's no matter what.
What about the Nellis sighting? What was your explaination?

A statement like this sounds like a trap: you claim some skeptics always have an explanation no matter what, then you ask me for one. I guess I'll respond since you've asked.

In the end, what we have here is simply another video; punctuated with the typical blurriness of a distant object, the mystery of an in-focus flyover directly overhead, and the stereotypical departure at impossible speed. It is just a video, and with modern video editing technology as advanced as it is there's no real way to vouch for the integrity of the video. Since it contains all of the intriguing, stereotypical elements of UFO sightings jammed into a one minute clip I'm going to assume hoax.

As I said, it's still just a video. If we're going to assume that alien lifeforms travel to earth in a spacecraft we need more than just videos. We need something we can touch, something we can test, something we can review to verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is indeed the case. It is certainly possible that this is the case, but without the aforementioned tangible, physical evidence no skeptic will be convinced, especially by videos alone.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Because people should not be so nieve. I really dont care, it's more the fact of finding out what makes them not want to beleive?

But so what if they are naive?

Obviously you care, otherwise you wouldn't be creating such threads. Are you worried that they don't believe or that they don't agree?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

Totally true

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Agreement isnt the issue, it's a lack of research i dont like. They wont spend the time looking into things. They see a thread, read a couple of lines and vent their disbeleif.

I do care, only because many but not all, dont spend time looking into things. I resarch as do many other's on here. So do some people that offer CONSTRUCTIVE critism but many dont, and only wish to put down beleivers and have a bias towards them.

Let me make it clear i am not having ago at ALL skeptics only the ones that have a bias from the get go and are pre conceived to non beleif.

My main reason for starting this thread was to ask why? Not point any fingers. Many of us spend hours trying to research things and put togther post's. I have speny hours uploading photo's and putting post's togther, not to rant and rave and spread conspiracy theories, but to attempt to find fact hidden by truths protective layers
to quote a famous astronaut

To simply collaborate effort's with like minded individuals. Of course there are some fanatics and hoaxer's that make our lives hard as well and create such bias. Some people using this subject for attention seeking. I dislike that more

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If it wasn't for the skeptics, people would be taking any information as fact, skeptics are the ones that demand real evidence, not anecdotes and heresay, I personally think that is a good thing, and that we should all have a decent amount of skepticism in us, but not so overboard that we simply dismiss all claims of the unusual.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Yeah of course it creates discussion and research, but some skeptics dont even care about that. That is the point.

The ones that are bias and not logical about their approach. They argu we are not logical but they wont spend anytime looking into things.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

More to the point why do you guys start post like best proof ever, best ufo video ever etc you make a lot of assumptions first you think skeptics or dubunkers dont believe WRONG I certainly think out there many differrent star systems will have life some more advanced than us some less. Is it near us or visits us in a regular basis NO but I do hope I am wrong.

What you have to consider is that if a picture or video etc is posted on here IF we have reason to believe what has been quoted is wrong because we have a good reason why its not what its claimed to be then we comment on it.

What you should look at also is the amount of times on here debunkers POINT out obvious hoaxes that believers take in HOOK LINE AND SINKER because they want it so much I WOULD love to find proof becuase whoever does is going to get rich very quickly!

Also because of what I have said above if I think its wrong and can show a reason why I will.

BOTH SIDE CAN WEED OUT THE CRAP ON HERE OF WHICH THERE IS LOTS THEN WE MIGHT GET AN ANSWER QUICKER
JUST A THOUGHT!

[edit on 25-4-2010 by wmd_2008]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join