It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Officer Orders Troops Not To Commit Suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Army Officer Orders Troops Not To Commit Suicide

www.huffingtonpost.com

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. — Thousands of soldiers, their bald eagle shoulder patches lined up row upon row across the grassy field, stood at rigid attention to hear a stern message from their commander.

Brig. Gen. Stephen Townsend addressed the 101st Airborne Division with military brusqueness: Suicides at the post had spiked after soldiers started returning home from war, and this was unacceptable.

"It's bad for soldiers, it's bad for families, bad for your units, bad for this division and our Army and our country and it's got to stop now," he insisted. "Suicides on Fort Campbell have
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-4-2010 by TV_Nation]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
This is a pretty sad article and it really shows that the effects of war stick with soldiers long after they have returned from battle.

I don't really know how the military should address this problem or if this general went about it the right way.

I think if someone is willing to end their life the last thing on their mind is how it will impact the military.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Thats war, but you can't just tell them not to commit suicide, I mean what can you possibly do to a dead person?

I couldn't imagine what they go through, so I can't really think of prevention techniques...

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Republican08]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I have never been in no army, but i tell you never join these things. Do not even consider, people like henry kissinger must laugh using humans like this.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Do you guys recall the story about the guy who rescued those dying kids from that van after their dad was killed by a US helicopter?

When he tried to get psychological counseling they basically called him a pussy and told him to suck it up.

I think the problem is we're just not doing enough to help soldiers cope with the realities of war, and we're certainly not doing enough to prepare them before they go.

The military likes to put on a tough guy act, and dehumanize soldiers as much as possible. Like this officer ordering his men not to commit suicide, instead of telling them how and where to get counseling if they are truly distraught. It's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Ordering people not to commit suicide...is ingenious!

Why didn't we all think of that sooner, we could have stopped all those others from taking their lives?

We don't need to really address the problems that cause the depression and post traumatic stress. We don't need to give those suffering from such ailments, quality health and mental care, or an outlet to express their issues. No, no...what we really needed was a high ranking military official to just give them an order and a lot of guilt.

After all, it is really as simple as Nancy Reagans' "Just Say No" campaign.

If this works out, he should really tackle the rape problems next.

- Lee

[edit on 25-4-2010 by lee anoma]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Do you guys recall the story about the guy who rescued those dying kids from that van after their dad was killed by a US helicopter?

When he tried to get psychological counseling they basically called him a pussy and told him to suck it up.

I think the problem is we're just not doing enough to help soldiers cope with the realities of war, and we're certainly not doing enough to prepare them before they go.

The military likes to put on a tough guy act, and dehumanize soldiers as much as possible. Like this officer ordering his men not to commit suicide, instead of telling them how and where to get counseling if they are truly distraught. It's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Very well said, here is another snippet from the article.

But Townsend's martial response is not the only one. Behind the scenes, there has been a concerted effort at Fort Campbell over the past year to change the hard-charging military mindset to show no weakness, complete the mission.

How can these soldiers possibly reach out for help with their mental hardships when there is no room for showing emotions or weakness? Looks like they are not making it easy for soldiers to get the help they need.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I think he did what he could, that officer. You'd be surprised how influential a higher officer is with the troops, especially if he's respected, and takes an almost "fatherly" approach in matters like this. A combination of respect for him, and respect for the authority he wields can probably do a lot to lower the suicide rate.

That being said...and I usually don't like to point fingers. But...you guys need to deal with the troops better after they return from war. Think about it - if a soldier is prepared to go to war for his country, the least his country can do is make sure he's alright after he returns from it.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
so whats the order
if you commit sucide you will be court martialed?
given a lengthy prison term?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well im really not sure where to begin with this.

If you look to the left,

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blood0fheroes

Good well thought out post with a real dinger of an end statement!

If a soldier kills him/herself will they be deemed to be in breach of orders and thus dependants might suffer in a loss of entitlements and privileges or am I looking at this with my experience of the penny pinching UK MOD.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by blood0fheroes
Again, im not lashing out. But I do believe that the responsibility to end this travesty belongs solely to The People.

This will never happen. We're being spoon fed pseudo-patriotism and society enforces the necessity to support the troops and the war effort.

Let's be clear on one thing, at least for me; I have no respect for the USA's armed forces as a collective. The conflicts we're involved in are entirely unnecessary, and the crimes soldiers commit are covered up.

My respect for a soldier lies solely on the individual level. If a soldier can look into a mirror, look into their kids eyes, look at their parents eyes, and say cleanly without hesitation that they feel what they are doing is right, then I can respect that. Because they're fighting for something they believe in and risking everything they have to fight for it. Regardless of the fact that I may have absolute disdain for what we are doing and the actions of some soldiers, that doesn't change the respect I may have for their convictions.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Maybe this officer should look higher up the chain of command in explaining the low morale and depression of our soldiers. Could be they are tired of being lied to.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Thats war, but you can't just tell them not to commit suicide, I mean what can you possibly do to a dead person?

I couldn't imagine what they go through, so I can't really think of prevention techniques...

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Republican08]

One suicide prevention technique they haven't tried is to not send them into stupid pointless moronic wars. I wonder if anyone's suggested that yet?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

...the responsibility to end this travesty belongs solely to The People.

I agree with everything you said except this one point.

The responsibility to end this War belongs solely to the Enemy.

Islamic radicals started this war thousands of years ago. They mass murdered our Ancestors. They brought this war to the shores of America in our times.

They will change their behaviour, or die.

We cannot surrender. This war has gone on forever, and will continue until they change or die.

That said, we must structure our forces so that deployment does not destroy family unity.

And that structuring must be for a real long haul.

Because it will be a long haul, if we don't resort to genocidal tactics.

Bravo for our men.

Carry on.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

...the responsibility to end this travesty belongs solely to The People.

I agree with everything you said except this one point.

The responsibility to end this War belongs solely to the Enemy.

Islamic radicals started this war thousands of years ago. They mass murdered our Ancestors. They brought this war to the shores of America in our times.

They will change their behaviour, or die.

We cannot surrender. This war has gone on forever, and will continue until they change or die.

That said, we must structure our forces so that deployment does not destroy family unity.

And that structuring must be for a real long haul.

Because it will be a long haul, if we don't resort to genocidal tactics.

Bravo for our men.

Carry on.

LMAO There were no Islamic radicals thousands of years ago and they didn't bring the war to the shores of the US, it was a false flag operation.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
heres an idea!
dont sign your life away to a corrupt government system that makes you put your life in danger and at the same time, requires you to murder other people!

new topics

top topics

join