It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer tornado hits Mississippi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Storms in the US state of Mississippi have left at least 10 people, including children, dead.

Governor Haley Barbour said there was "utter obliteration" in Yazoo County, where three died, and he declared a state of emergency in 17 counties.

A church in Yazoo City was flattened and houses reduced to rubble.

Tornadoes have also been hit the nearby states of Louisiana, Arkansas and Alabama, with the severe weather reported to be moving eastwards.

My heart goes out to all those people..if anyone could post an update or a link to keep the world informed.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
AP Report

I live in Southeastern Georgia and we are just starting to see some of this roll in. We are actually on the bottom tip of this, as it seems to be moving NE.

We are under a Lake Wind Advisory for the next few hours.

Take care and be safe.

Edited to add this video:

[edit on 25-4-2010 by broahes]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

I am at work at a hotel in Northwest Ga, we are reeling from these same storms tonight, just went through a pretty good one, the tornado horns were going off in town, I am only blocks from there, looks like more is heading this way, that last blast had hail and strong winds but thank god no tornado! We see this every year though, Rome Ga is a tornado alley.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Wow, be safe up there!

I have a few friends up in Northern Georgia.. close to Tennessee.. can't wait til it's late enough to call and check in with them.

We are getting some moderate wind.. although mine is a little stronger being only 100 yards or so from the Altamaha river. Some nice lightning shows and scattered rain so far.

Again, be safe.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Yeah I am pretty close to Tenn, up in the northwestern corner of the state but right smack on the alabama line. We have been in the stream of these storms all evening. It is facsinating to watch them move in from atop this hill, I can literally see them coming over the state line! Wish I had my camera with me tonight!

I have family in Lafayette Ga, which is even closer to the Tenn line, they were in the middle of some crazy hail and winds tonight while a tornado was spotted in the area, all are safe though, whew!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
We in the uk never experience storms of this magnitude, if we get up to a rainy day we moan about the weather..How on earth you guys cope with this kind of tragedy is beyond me. Hope you keep safe, and please keep us informed..

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
All is well now, no weather at all to speak of tonight in North Georgia. Personally I find it extrememly exciting when these storms come through, although deadly they are quite an adrenaline rush. Nothing like thinking you are about to be swooped up into a spinning cyclone and thrown to the wind! But too much tragedy comes from them, usually from trailors. It just is not safe to live in a trailor when you live in an area that has tornados.

top topics

join