It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange new star goes against the sky

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
this new star is not in the same position as venus i wish i had a decent camera to show on a clear night the position venus and this new star nw position only visable till about 10pm then it's out of view venus still visable anyone else living in the toronto area want to try and verify this between 8:30-10 nw position very bright almost too bright lets compare notes tomorow and get some photos etc... document everything

ill have a look later today and specifically look for a reference point.

I am pretty sure its venus now, although it is really bright. Venus is suppose to be the second brightest object in the sky, but it sure seems to be brighter lately than ive seen it before.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
it was too cloudy tonite it could be venus but i am not sure anymore thought maybe capella will look for it monday night

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I have seen this in Arizona too. It is Venus, depending on where you are standing it appears to move, but it does not. It caught me off guard as well. Very bright this year.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by amatrine]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
it's not venus i am seeing the same star in a nw location but later in the evening it's like it sets either its another planet or whatever, but it is really bright i dont believe in nibiru but we need to photograph, track, document get some telescopes and find out what it is. and not wait for (phage) to tell us what it is not

Phage seems to be the all knowing in these forums from what I see.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Just wanting to add why some may think this is a 'new star'.

Venus has recently taken position again in the night sky's, in the West. For some time before now, Venus was in her position in the East, being the morning star.

When Venus goes from 'morning star' to 'night star' or vice versa....it seems to happen, over night/day.

So some have been watching a gem in the East, before the rising of the Sun....and this star has now seemed to of disappeared. Now, people are seeing this 'star' suddenly in the Western sky, low close to the horizon, during early night time or around dusk hours. For those that observe the sky reguluary, its very easy to mistake this star (planet) as a new star that suddenly appeared in the sky which was not there before.

It has taken me several years of observing Venus and its path to understand this. Sure, you can take some ones word for it...but its more convincing to learn about it yourself through astronomy sights and watching the night sky.

So anyways....look out in the western sky around sunset and after sunset for a while....you will see the beautiful Diamond in the Sky, shining ever so brightly. You really cant miss her.

LV

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

When Venus goes from 'morning star' to 'night star' or vice versa....it seems to happen, over night/day.

It takes quite a while for Venus to appear on the other side of the sun. I think it is about a month.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Wow...I thought I was going crazy until I read this thread. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and noticed the same phenomenon in our Western sky driving home on Thursday night. It was so bright and looked so out of place that I actually pulled over to get a better look at this thing. To my surprise, another vehicle pulled up behind me and appeared to be observing the same thing. Deciding to myself after about 5 minutes of watching that it had to be Venus even though my IPhone star finder did not match it up, Venus was further North. I continued driving home stopping once more about a half block from my destination to get another good look, this was at 10:30pm MST. 45 minutes later I walked out to my vehicle to drive to the store, got about a block away and realized that there was NO trace of this thing in the sky anymore....needless to say I was very confused. The object can best be described as spherical and appears to not only pulsate, but actual changes colors (blue, green, orange, red) almost holographically. It's a clear night tonight so I'm going to check again in a couple of hours, I'll take pics this time.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

Wow. Your iPhone app sucks and Venus set as it was supposed to.

You can now say to yourself, "No wonder people have reported Venus as a UFO."

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

It can vary...but this last year, when Venus went from being a night star to a morning star....there was just a day between seeing Venus as the night star to the morning star. This was rare, from what I understand. So you are more correct...it does take some time usually before it can be seen when it changes from our perspective. Thanks for adding that!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

It is somewhat Northwest...when you face West directly, Venus sits to the bottom right hand view. Defiantly more west then north though.

Since it is sitting low in the sky...this tells you it wont be in the sky all night long. As the sun sets in the west, so will the stars and planets move in this direction (or seem to move). If you sat out and watched Venus through the evening, you will actually see it set below the horizon. The stars higher up in the sky would be in the night view longer...but over several months you can observe how they slowly seem to always move westward. At least the stars in the Zodiacal path, the pathway of the sun. This includes the path of the moon and planets and the constellations of the zodiac.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3
Wow...I thought I was going crazy until I read this thread. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and noticed the same phenomenon in our Western sky driving home on Thursday night. It was so bright and looked so out of place that I actually pulled over to get a better look at this thing. To my surprise, another vehicle pulled up behind me and appeared to be observing the same thing. Deciding to myself after about 5 minutes of watching that it had to be Venus even though my IPhone star finder did not match it up, Venus was further North. I continued driving home stopping once more about a half block from my destination to get another good look, this was at 10:30pm MST. 45 minutes later I walked out to my vehicle to drive to the store, got about a block away and realized that there was NO trace of this thing in the sky anymore....needless to say I was very confused. The object can best be described as spherical and appears to not only pulsate, but actual changes colors (blue, green, orange, red) almost holographically. It's a clear night tonight so I'm going to check again in a couple of hours, I'll take pics this time.

One thing about me is honesty is my strongest suit and quite frankly I see the same thing. I see this one bright star now tonight in Texas. I generally see Orion hovering over my neighborhood nightly but I don't see it tonight. This one star flashing in multiple colors is the only one that stands out.

I was driving home from work around 9:30 pm and this thing was southwest of my house. But as I was driving I see this star and it was bright enough to fight all the light from all the businesses. I don't see Orion and since I don't see him kinda freaks me out since I am so used to seeing him at night.

I tried to take some video of this star, but my camera phone sucks at video at night.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Sounds like Orion has already set. In the southwest would be Procyon.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I have seen it as well. As soon as the sky clears, I am going to compare against this link:

www.nightskyinfo.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I see a bright object to the northwest. Could be a planet, but it has a slight shimmer, like a star.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
Sounds like Orion has already set. In the southwest would be Procyon.

Well before Orion set I did see a reddish star near the belt of Orion.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

There are a number of online star charts such as the one off of www.space.com that allow you view the night stars. That should give you a chance to figure out what star you were viewing.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
They were viewing Venus.

Check it out by all means but it was Venus.

I'm in Thailand and was recently impressed by the marvellous view you get of it just after sunset (7 PMish).

Happy to see people notice something different in the sky and find out the answer without buying into Niburi and/or aliens first.

-m0r

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Shame this thread is posted in the 2012 forum!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by m0r1arty

Shame this thread is posted in the 2012 forum!

lol...

well i have to say, the objects seem to be getting brighter and brighter. Nibiru? i dont think so... but i think the pollution is making the stars light up and sparkle more and thats causing all the commotion.

Ill be honest, i got an A in astronomy lol... so when i saw Venus i was very confused, it was so bright.
If stellarium didnt have Venus blocked by a 3D tree!!! i wouldnt have made this post lol.

As for the star that you guys are seeing that is sparkling multiple different colors, that is probably Capella. Its a beautiful sight especially over the horizon. It could also be Betelgeuse but im pretty sure that star is red(?).

Remember, objects near the horizon will be brighter(and bigger) than objects up above.

edit: If mods want to move this thread to the Science or Space or whatever section:
seeing as im the OP, i personally have nothing against it

[edit on 4-5-2010 by demonseed]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Hey I live in Southern California too and I saw this same star several days ago:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I got similar responses to you (Capella, Venus) and someone else from Vegas who saw the same thing, you're definitely not alone on seeing this.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join