It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why So Much Disinformation About Satanism?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
i thought that technically to be a satanist you must not have a *real* belief in satan.

so technically a theistic satanist is an oxymoron, isn't it???

lol

worshipping the deity named satan would be...something else...lol or should be called something else because its very misleading.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
satanic rock music my ass, some people like the feeling it gives them which is power, the heavy sounds the high energy its all about feeling badass, about blowing steam, about feeling free
# those christian assholes who judge us metal heads for being metal heads
people like bob larson are incredibly superstitious idiotic, afraid of change and overzealous, they hate anything that doesnt coincide with their beliefs

i compare them to those assholes in middle school who judge you for being the wierd kid who listens to metal and not their pointless drivel known as bubblegum pop

not all christians are like this there are some really cool ones and even metal heads!

but to say rock is satanic is a scare tactic to get you to subscribe to their faith, just like the way they made up hell or stole ot from other religions

also pagan doesnt mean satanic, or witchcraft it means the belief in multiple gods, it is another word for polytheism i dont get why there is so much confusion

check this out

iwatched this video 12 times last night i even put it on my member profile
though there is satanic imagery, they are not condoning satanism, there telling a story about going to hell and kicking ass
its shock rock people its meant to shock uptight religous wierdos and look cool, nothing more and if you think rock is satanic your probably an idiot or have a very low IQ

[edit on 25-4-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by satanictemple
Is it outright misunderstanding of theistic Satanism on the parts of these people, are they doing it for the money, or is there another reason?

For any talk show host, angering the listener is an essential component in order to generate call-ins. And yes, it is entertainment designed to get people to listen to commercials, which generates money.

As far as his topics go, those who rant about "satanic music" and "ritual satanic abuse" have about as much knowledge on the topic of satanism as Geraldo Rivera does. Nearly everyone who rails against satanism has most likely never met one, never seen any of their rituals and fails to note the vast diversity of the forms satanism takes. They may even take it to the point of vilifying their perceived enemies with satanism: accusing the freemasons or catholics or civil rights movements, etc. of clandestine satan worship.

In the end, TV and talk show hosts take on the satan topic because it makes for sensationalist media, and their fantasies about it have no limitations or boundaries whatsoever. It makes for a great show, but for the true satanists and those who know satanists, it amounts to both a collection of chuckles and a shake of the head for their ignorance.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

i agree...i think that christians use "satanism" as a blanket term for anything they see as "dark" and "scary" which is basically anything or anyone not like them.

its funny that religious nuts whine, cry and bomb about other people judging them but they are *the* most judgmental of the lot of us. hypocrisy reigns supreme in a society based in organized religion...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Nope, that's only LeVay's satanism.
There are many other many other philosophies.
That's a short answer, and I hope the OP explains further, since I do not subscribe to theistic satanism.
It could be a really interesting inter-satanic discussion, but that is not the OP subject, but rather how and why "satanism" is used as disinformation.

Christians and some other conspiracists might argue (as I've seen) that LaVey's daughter claimed her father indeed worshipped a literal devil and used the humanistic phsycho-drama for propaganda.
By and large the satanists I've known are strongly individualistic, and not very organized, neither do they seek converts. So satanism in popular culture today is hard to define theologically, although symbologies and anti-mainstream religious views are common.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I would say that most people who openly practice satanism, are just disillusioned people looking to fit in somewhere.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Christianity created the dilemma of not fitting in, and if they didn't find outcasts to persecute, they created them. The history of Christianity is just as much the narrative of dark fantasies: of curses and black masses, as it is of great church fathers. And it remains so to this day.
The shadow is always with us - and therefore salvation is always unsure.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I call myself a Satanist, but I don't really indulge in any sort of worship or religion. I simply consider it my duty to get in the face of anyone who tries to impress me with how great their religion is. It brings out the inner fanatic in them, exposes them for what they truly are, and I believe that this is the core of the Satanic ideal, tearing down the ivory towers that the followers of God or whatever have built for themselves. And just for the record, christian metal bands are traitors of the lowest sort. A blight on all that metal represents.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
A spiritual life is an individual connection with the divine, created by practicing righteousness.

Anything else is just an escape based on someone elses opinion and perception.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Why not be an intelligent agnostic instead?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It depends which culture(s) one is exposed to. In Hinduism one has Brahma (the creator), Vishnu (the sustainer) and Shiva (the destroyer). To worship the destroyer is not considered evil but one impersonal path to heaven.
To worship God with even a slightly wrong heart may lead to war and things like the Salem Witch Trials.
So to worship Satan with a pure intention may be better for a lot of people, because they can see God through his demi-gods when they are often not ready to understand Him.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Why not be an intelligent agnostic instead?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Well, I supose that could be asked of everyone, and in truth, I suppose I am.
But it doesn't fulfil my need for ritual, black candles, robes, smells and bells - that sorta stuff.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
I would say that most people who openly practice satanism, are just disillusioned people looking to fit in somewhere.

That could be said of any religion or belief system, including secular ideologies.

I would say most people that follow religious or secular beliefs do so out of what they think is the need to fit in somewhere.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by satanictemple

I would call it misinformation. The guys who spread it really believe what they are saying.

The truth is they don't know what they are talking about. Many of them label anything they don't understand as "satanic". Some call Catholics satanists. Some call Jews satanists. Some call Muslims satanists. Some call Masons satanists. So on and so forth.

I also think LaVey and the Catholic Church are to blame as well. LaVey for one shouldn't have called his militant humanist philosophy "satanism". This has caused all kinds of confusion.

The Catholic Church added to the mess in the past when they came up with a fantasy of a satanic witch cult that practiced black masses and other nonsense. Even more silly was the Hellfire clubs that imitated the Catholic fantasy.

I am not sure if you know about the Temple of Set, it was an offshoot of LaVey's church founded by a US Army Lt. Colonel Michael Aquino.

Lt. Colonel Aquino orginally was with LaVey's organization. Around the early 1970s he claims that he channeled an entity he idenitified as "Set", who he claimed was the source of what Christians called "satan". He left LaVey's group and started a occult order in 1975 devoted to the left handed path, which he called the Temple of Set.

There is also the Typhonian Order, an offshoot of Aleister Crowley's Order of the Eastern Templars, founded by Kenneth Grant. It deals with darker channeled entities sometimes called "The Old Ones". Grant started channeling these Old Ones in 1939. He served as Crowley's apprentice in 1944. He was expelled from Crowley's order in 1955, after founding a lodge devoted to channeling what he called the Setian/Sirian current.

There are also those who follow a "horned one", which I am almost positive is the same as Azazel and Enki. The concept of a wise and horned trickster god goes way back, even to prehistoric times.
There are numerous myths involving a wise trickster giving crafts, language and fire to man. There is sometimes an assocaition with goats as well.

Anyone who bothered to sit down and read about LaVey's group, Lt. Col Aquino's temple, Grant's Order and the various groups that follow a "horned god" would discover they are all very different.

What does that mean? It means no one bothers to do the research. Then people spread misinformation.

The funny thing is it applies to almost everything, not just what people call "Satanic". The same misconceptions and misinformation happen in various faiths and philosophies.

I think it is human nature to not be objective and then spread subjective memes like a virus.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, there is evidence to suggest that the worship of Set in Egypt evolved into the cult of Yahweh. Paul Carus put across a good argument for this in The History of the Devil. Hence the figure of Osiris being seen as satanic by some.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
There is also the Typhonian Order, an offshoot of Aleister Crowley's Order of the Eastern Templars, founded by Kenneth Grant. It deals with darker channeled entities sometimes called "The Old Ones". Grant started channeling these Old Ones in 1939. He served as Crowley's apprentice in 1944. He was expelled from Crowley's order in 1955, after founding a lodge devoted to channeling what he called the Setian/Sirian current.

There are also those who follow a "horned one", which I am almost positive is the same as Azazel and Enki. The concept of a wise and horned trickster god goes way back, even to prehistoric times.
There are numerous myths involving a wise trickster giving crafts, language and fire to man. There is sometimes an assocaition with goats as well.

Anyone who bothered to sit down and read about LaVey's group, Lt. Col Aquino's temple, Grant's Order and the various groups that follow a "horned god" would discover they are all very different.

ia ia cthulu phatgn!
not dead but dreaming, sleeping lie
in strange aeons even death may die
or something
wicked scary stuff though

i personally think that christians took the entire concept of hell and the devil, from greek myths of hades and the underworld

and the ancient celts had their own horned trickster god
and many more cultures had their own
i recall there was an old native american myth about a horned serpent that gave treasure to whoever could find it and it respected those of a rebeelious nature or something like that im probably wrong though

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by satanictemple

I also think LaVey and the Catholic Church are to blame as well. LaVey for one shouldn't have called his militant humanist philosophy "satanism". This has caused all kinds of confusion.

well...the point *was* to cause confusion, i believe...

and here:

thats part one for a three part interview with Peter Gilmore, high priest of the church of satan...

now there may be demonic rituals (not necessarily satan, mind you) interwoven somewhere, (just like polygamy or bigotry in mormonism or child sacrifice in christianity/judaism) but satanism REALLY is not about worshipping satan, literally.

satan is an allegory...
they do black mass to mock the catholic mass...

so...
i just insist that on a forum with educated, intelligent individuals we understand the difference between ACTUAL satanists and those practicing demonic witchcraft/rituals or something of that nature...which is not anymore satanist than bombing the twin tower was muslim....

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

LaVeyan Satanism does not practise black masses, neither does it turn crosses topsy-turvy, or regard 666 as a symbol (in line with most scholars of Hebrew Gammatria they believe it spells out the name of "Nero Ceasar" who was persecuting the early church, and it has no prophetic context whatsoever, and was actually popularized by the horror movie "The Omen". It was virtually unknown in the 1960s).
So what if people enjoy some adult psycho-drama and believe Satanism is really the worship of the self?
What do Christians worship? Jesus (some guy from Mexico? - joke, but if anything the name would have been Jehoshua)? "Christ" merely means "annointed", and in ancient times most kings and royalty were "Christs". How much of their stuff stands up to scrutiny and how many people has it slaughtered? 10 Million, maybe much more?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

exactly, thats my point...
but this psycho-drama satanists act out is not actual demon-worship...as the christians seem to want to believe.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join