It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Remembrance Anzac Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
For those not in the know April 25th is Anzac day is when Australia and New Zealand remember those who have served and fallen in battle . I may include a few supporting stories or links below .

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
Source

Lest We Forgot . They gave there today so we could have a tomorrow . Otherwise the words above convey more then I ever could on a day like Anzac Day . I went to my local Anzac Day service this morning to pay my respects . No mention of Anzac Day can go by without sparing a thought for the Turks who graciously host thousands of Aussie and Kiwi visitors each who come to attend dawn services .

In Wellington, an estimated 3000 people attended the ceremony at the capital's cenotaph, where Army chief Major General Rhys Jones said Anzac Day was not a celebration.

"It's not a commemoration of victories that gained independence for our country or a great battle that established our name on the international arena," he said.

"Anzac Day is a time to remember and reflect on the sorrow, loss and sacrifice that is the obligation of nationhood, the cost of liberty and the price of freedom."

Source

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

The Greatest Generation that actually fought in WWII is rapidly vanishing. I would suggest that anyone who knows someone who served or a Civilian survivor spend an hour or two and talk to them about that time. It will be two of the best hours you ever spend............

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
You forget the best part. Collingwood and Essendon in a gameday held exclusively by the A.F.L.s two precious darlings. Now there's a thread?!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Fallen soldiers are to always be respected. No matter the country, no matter the conflict. To give the ultimate of yourself in hopes that it somehow benefits others is noble and virtuous.

/Salute

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I used to really look up to these guys at the parades, but im not so sure anymore. Im sick of violence always being presented as the way to freedom, violence being presented as the solution to our problems, violence being shown to have been the way to achieve peace in the past. I dont like the way the amazing selfless human trait of wanting to protect our own and defend from a threat is capitalized on by polititians and PTB with an agenda, relegating the selfless volunteers to political pawns all the while presenting them as heros to the people ensuring the glory of such a sacrafice never goes unoticed and military numbers dont dwindle, but rather the young ones in the crowd, like I used to be, aspire to be one themselves.

Im all to familiar to the situations surrounding the anzacs so I dont need a history lesson I just thought id offer the viewpoint from the side of me that feels a little uneasy about these parades after years of truthseeking. Those who fought did they best they know, and had selfless heroic intentions, for this I am still gratefull and thankfull for them, but the complexities underlying the matter leave me disagreeing with the methods. Even as a child I never quite got why we had to slaughter some human beings who lived overseas to save another goup of human beings who happen to share the same island as we. I never got why you had to kill people to bring about peace. And I still dont. Never under any circumstance can one claim to be justifying murder, ive heard some fabulous justifications in my time but I still think at the end of the day there is a better way to peace and freedom, if you dont you've been succesfully brainwashed.

I dont mean to come off harsh, its just that im sick and tired of humans justifying still killing each other in the 21st century,claiming they had to or the other side deserved it or whatever it is im tired of hearing it this has gone on too long.

But again, I want to thank ANZACS themselves for their heroic efforts and honorable intentions, lest we forget.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I went today but only caught the final bit of it at the dawn service.

Just in time to hear "God save the King"

Must be the first time I have heard that.

I caught a later one at the beach and it was really moving - pleased I went.

I must try and get up before dawn for the other one next year.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Meanwhile, vandals have attacked a suburban Sydney war memorial on the eve of Anzac Day, throwing rubbish around the site and snapping a flagpole.

Up to a dozen teenagers are believed to have been involved in Saturday night's incident at the Anzac Cenotaph outside the Arncliffe RSL Club.

The vandals are believed to have swung on the flagpole until it snapped, police said.

Garbage was also thrown around the memorial site in the southern Sydney suburb.

RSL staff and police cleaned up the rubbish ahead of Sunday morning's Anzac Day ceremony at the club but the flagpole could not be repaired.

Police will maintain a watch over the memorial during the Anzac Day commemorations.

Mr Rowe says the vandals should be taught a lesson.

"Of all days, our national day of commemoration and some mindless people go and do this?" Mr Rowe told reporters at Sydney's Martin Place dawn service on Sunday.

"I hope they are apprehended and one of the things they should do is have a history lesson about what Anzac Day means - it obviously means nothing to them."

Kristina Keneally added her voice to the outrage, saying it was a horrible act.

"I think those who are involved should hang their heads in shame," she said at the CBD dawn service.

Police say they are keen to speak to up to a dozen teenage males, described as Mediterranean/Middle Eastern in appearance, seen in the area before the incident.

They have appealed for anyone with information about the vandalism, which occurred between 7.30pm and 7.45pm at the cenotaph in Wollongong Road, to contact St George Police on (02) 8566 7499 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Source: au.news.yahoo.com...

These people seem to have no respect for anyone else! Such a shameful act, though I'm sure they can't see that...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by heffo7

Police say they are keen to speak to up to a dozen teenage males, described as Mediterranean/Middle Eastern in appearance, seen in the area before the incident.

This is what you get when you let in immigrants who have no care for the people of the land.

They never assimilate and become an Aussie, they have absolutely no respect for the host nation that took them in, it really upsets me.

Our kindnesses are thrown back in our faces.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Trublue]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Trublue

One would have thought that teenagers of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern descent would have a little respect and understanding.

Considering that ANZAC day commemorates the Gallipoli landing in Turkey, smack bang in the middle of the Mediterranean.

[edit on 25/4/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublue

This is what you get when you let in immigrants who have no care for the people of the land.

They never assimilate and become an Aussie, they have absolutely no respect for the host nation that took them in, it really upsets me.

Our kindnesses are thrown back in our faces.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Trublue]

You don't find that ironic?

Imagine I'm an Aboriginal Australian and I'm reading what you just said above, its almost a spit in the face. I'm not judging you, for all i know you could be doing charity work and helping Aboriginal people, but there is so much hypocrisy among us when it comes to this issue that it isn't even funny.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I have the utmost respect for Australia and New Zealand who, along with Canada, have always been loyal and steadfast friends of the UK.

Those that paid the ultimate price for all our freedom, indeed all those who served and continue to serve, deserve our sincerest respect and honour.

I for one believe we have a common bond and that we have more that unites us than divides us.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Our Ancestors invaded this Country, displaced the indigenous inhabitants, took over basically and instituted a new law of the land.

The fact it was us who prevented this Country from being taken in WW2 by the Japanese and single handedly prevented the whole sale slaughter of the Aborigine race off the Planet balances up all the bad.

I can guarantee you that if the Aboriginal race was left by its own devices then by now the only ones left would be in Museums stuffed and on display.

I salute the Diggers and their New Zealand comrades because without them your precious Indigenous race would not exist so stand proud son of the deeds of our for fathers and remember them.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Trublue

One would have thought that teenagers of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern descent would have a little respect and understanding.

Considering that ANZAC day commemorates the Gallipoli landing in Turkey, smack bang in the middle of the Mediterranean.

[edit on 25/4/10 by Chadwickus]

That is forgetting the fact they were being invaded by our forces, and kicked our arse. And we celebrate. November 11 (Rememberance Day) we are solemn. That date commemorates a victory. It is a strange duality, but so is the fact that people emigrate here to escape a horrible situation in their homelands and their children who have no knowledge hate this country and speak of how great the homeland their parents flee from was.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pablos

That is forgetting the fact they were being invaded by our forces, and kicked our arse. And we celebrate.

Agreed...

The generosity of spirit and hospitality shown by the Turkish people to Australians who visit Gallipoli year after year is incredible...So is the respect they show to the remains of our war dead and their constant efforts to keep that whole area in the best condition it possibly can be...

Especially given we were trying to invade their country...

I'm also amazed by how many Australians actually think we "won" at Gallipoli when nothing could be further from the truth...Talk about ignorance

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

It surprises me too. Almost every year at school we went over this period of history. Though the same happens with seppos and The Alamo. It could just be that as I said we celebrate like we won.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pablos
reply to post by Retrovertigo

It surprises me too. Almost every year at school we went over this period of history. Though the same happens with seppos and The Alamo. It could just be that as I said we celebrate like we won.

Yep I reckon you're right about celebrating like we won, Pablos...And the same with your comment in an earlier post about Armistice Day...Like you said, that's celebrating the end of a conflict we won and it is indeed a very solemn day...

Not that I'd want it to be a day of razzle-dazzle or anything, because there were "losers" to go with the "victory" and a lot of dead people in between...

Edit to add - seppos...Now THERE'S a word I haven't seen in ages...Nice one

[edit on 25/4/2010 by Retrovertigo]

new topics

top topics

join