It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says Aliens exist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking is a brilliant man who has contributed enormously to modern science. But I guess even a brilliant man will sometimes state the obvious.

Oh, well... as long as the notion of aliens continues to move toward the credibility it deserves in the scientific community, I won't complain. After all, it can't be TOO obvious or you'd think more people would take it seriously.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Excellent post. This is what I view as probable too. But we cannot know. We can only speculate.

Maybe they really are some intergalactic lunatics, robbing the universe.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
reply to post by Tearman

What is Earth without the biosphere?

The earth without a biosphere, is an earth whose native biological intelligence will never advance to where they could be a realistic threat to other civilizations.

For example, if humanity is destroyed then its descendants will never build a relativistic kill vehicle and decide to aim it at their celestial neighbors. Human descendants could one day reasonably choose to do such a thing out of fear that life on other worlds may be equally paranoid and prepared to take the same drastic preemptive actions against their neighbors (perhaps even against the earth).

Let's hope ET isn't so paranoid, but if they are, it would go a long way toward explaining why we don't hear radio signals from other civilizations: The smart ones keep quiet, and the careless ones get blown up by the paranoid ones.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Tearman]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
UFOs are real and are already here.

Mankind uses his five senses to determine reality. Hundreds of thousand witnesses had over the century determined their own reality. One person may be hallucinating, but hundred thousands hallucinating the same reality would be impossible.

While not many had seen the 'pilots' of such craft, there is enough credible witnesses to determine such crafts are not of Earth's creations, but EXTRA-TERRESTERIAL origin, of EXTRA-TERRESTERIAL intelligence. Even scientists are at a loss to explain such crafts other than to deny and wait till they get their hands on one, touch it, test it, then will human sense of reality sinks in, otherwise, denial is the way to live.

As to what they are here for, lets use a simple explanation, nothing complex so that more may comprehend such crafts, espacially for those whose 5 senses had not witness such phenomena.

Look at these equations:-

2 ( x) (3) = 6 ( True )

2 (y) (z) = 6 ( false) :- this is false because the values of (y) and (z) is UNKNOWN, therefore the result/outcome is not true.

Lets place 2 as 'aliens or Extra-terresterial intelligence

Aliens (y) (z) = domination ( False ):- simply because we have no variables for y and z to determine the result/outcome.

For the values of (y) and (z), only national govts have the answers, for they have the military means and equipment to investigate the reasons for their presence.

Thus, to find the answer to the equation of extra-terresterials and their INTENTIONS, your family, relatives and friends with their elected representatives in congress or parliament are the starting points.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Us humans think we are the grandest thing in the universe..we are so "full of ourselves".

What's more likely? That a mysterious, all-powerful God created the universe, and then decided not to leave a single evidence of his existence? Or that He simply doesn't exist at all, and that we created Him, so that we wouldn't have to feel so small and lonely?

Look back at the 50's..look at the commercials, the movies from then. We think that the people in that era were "lame", stupid, even. We are those same humans..and we are still "lame" and stupid.

As quoted from the movie, Contact ..

The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Great post. I agree with the probabilty of advanced life existing. Like a previous poster said however the main issue is time. I personally believe that time is the reason that although there may be hundreds, thousands, millions or more advanced civilizations none of them have had enough time to advance their technology enough to close the unimaginable distances between these civilizations. Maybe there are interplanetary travelers but I think the odds of a civilization advanced enough to travel the vast distances to us is even more slim.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by tdatreefrog]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I think the biggest problem is that people - including Stephen Hawking - tend to use their knowledge of human and human history when talking about ET's. just because we seem to love war and conquer, doesn't mean the aliens necessarily will. Just because we put money and profit before the environment and ourselves, doesn't mean ET does

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

I think OrionHunterX said exactly what I think is probable. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's a fact 'tho.

And maybe these (hypothetical) aliens aren't even using technology that uses radiowaves. They may have also figured out that it's destructive to mess with the natural evolution of another intelligent species.

EDIT: Typos..

[edit on 25/4/2010 by Tryptych]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
We know man evolved from apes. We don't know what "man" would be like, if he evolved from anything else.

For example a hypothetical species of Aliens, the Greys, have been compared to Dolphins.

From Wiki:

Social Behavior
Dolphins are social, living in pods of up to a dozen individuals. In places with a high abundance of food, pods can merge temporarily, forming a superpod; such groupings may exceed 1,000 dolphins. Individuals communicate using a variety of clicks, whistles and other vocalizations. They make ultrasonic sounds for echolocation. Membership in pods is not rigid; interchange is common. However, dolphins can establish strong social bonds. Dolphins will stay with injured or ill individuals, even helping them to breathe by bringing them to the surface if needed.[17] This altruism does not appear to be limited to their own species however. The dolphin Moko in New Zealand has been observed guiding a female Pygmy Sperm Whale together with her calf out of shallow water where they had stranded several times.[18] They have also been seen protecting swimmers from sharks by swimming circles around the swimmers[19][20] or charging the sharks to make them go away.[21]
Dolphins also display culture, something long believed to be unique to humans (and possibly other primate species). In May 2005, a discovery in Australia found Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops aduncus) teaching their young to use tools. They cover their snouts with sponges to protect them while foraging. This knowledge is mostly transferred by mothers to daughters, unlike simian primates, where knowledge is generally passed on to both sexes. Using sponges as mouth protection is a learned behavior.[22] Another learned behavior was discovered among river dolphins in Brazil, where some male dolphins use weeds and sticks as part of a sexual display.[23]
Dolphins engage in acts of aggression towards each other. The older a male dolphin is, the more likely his body is to be covered with bite scars. Male dolphins engage in such acts of aggression apparently for the same reasons as humans: disputes between companions and competition for females. Acts of aggression can become so intense that targeted dolphins sometimes go into exile as a result of losing a fight.
Male Bottlenose Dolphins have been known to engage in infanticide. Dolphins have also been known to kill porpoises for reasons which are not fully understood, as porpoises generally do not share the same diet as dolphins and are therefore not competitors for food supplies.[24]

Source

Now if a Dolphin evolved into a human, what would it be like?

If an ant, evolved into a human what would it be like?

I think one must study biology here on Earth, before making statements about what another creature from a different planet might be like.

Because I think the 10% of UFO cases that cannot be explained are a great explanation for what might be going on.

In regards to what Stephen Hawking is saying:

“I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”

I think, the aspects of reality, if we really want to find out what those are...Look at other life on our planet. We look at extremophiles as wishful thinking for life out in space. When considering alien life or aspects of reality we are unaware of, consider animals.

Animals with particular senses, natural defense mechanisms, and social structure...

If you can imagine a human having these abilities, then you can imagine a reality that our brain's can't conceive...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

i am familiar with some of Steven Hawkings views on the subject, and i agree with him on much of it. But, we are televizing broadcast signals in space and have already launched objects out into space. they will/do know we are here.

link   
So going back to 'time'. How old is the Universe? How long have humans been around? Is it possible that other planets have intelligent life...if so, what is the earliest time, compared to the age of the universe that they could have possibly evolved to our level of technology? Meaning how many hundreds, thousands, millions, billions of years more advanced than we are... could they be? Billions may be stretching it to far, but I don't think millions is.

So what we're saying here is that it is possible to have intelligent life in the universe that is millions of years more technologically advanced than us. I'm thinking that should give them a pretty good posibility of being able to travel about the universe in ways that we could not begin to comprehend. Sure these are big ifs, but you have to consider the possibility. thoughts?

[edit on 25-4-2010 by amazing]

link   
reply to post by Viper2

actually, yes i do. i've even read "a brief history of time".

if you had read my posts, you would see that i said i hadn't decided one way or the other concerning my belief in alien life. sometimes it seems plausible, others, not so much.

i'm actually a fan of some of his theories, "hawking radiation" being one of them.

it is really sad that instead of providing evidence on odds, you laugh off my evidence. people who are afraid of being wrong fear truth.

link   

Originally posted by Viper73
Our overall presumption is that if alien life exists somewhere else in the universe, they would presumably be of a higher level of intelligence and spirituality. Again, I'm not saying that they don't exist, its just I can't see them as being malevolent. We as humans are the most malevolent race in the universe. Now, while that could lead logic to tell us that other species could be malevolent as well

We are not a malevolent species, we are just an species who try to survive, there are bad people, there are good people, and a lot of good people will kill if they feel in danger, if they think some loveone is in danger, a lot of good people will kill an animal for food, or take out trees to make a farm, fight another group to protect theirs, in a lot of cases not doing that means death, people dont need to be evil to kill or hurt someone, i dont need to be evil to go to a war.

What you say can be say about you too, there are people who thinks that higher level means high spirituality or morality, and that logic tell that a species with higher level must be that way, but theres not way to know until we find them or they find us.

So i dont think a lot of us think aliens must be malevolent because we are "malevolent", but a lot of us think aliens are aliens, we cant know what they want, we cant know if we can understand each other, we cant know if we can talk, but one thing we can now for sure is that every species try to survive, and surviving can be above everything.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
reply to post by Tearman

I think OrionHunterX said exactly what I think is probable. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's a fact 'tho.

And maybe these (hypothetical) aliens aren't even using technology that uses radiowaves. They might have also figured out that it's destructive to mess with the natural evolution of another intelligent species.

I wont say that hostility is the reason for the lack of SETI results, but that hypothetical reality (or maybe even just the hypothetical presumption of that reality on the part of ETs) could explain why we don't hear anything. Of course, many people have thought of other possibly good reasons why SETI hasn't yet got results.

Originally posted by DarcyD28
I think the biggest problem is that people - including Stephen Hawking - tend to use their knowledge of human and human history when talking about ET's. just because we seem to love war and conquer, doesn't mean the aliens necessarily will...
But to assume they wont would be great folly if in fact they do.

Summary of my perspective: The potential danger of ET contact might not be worth the potential benefit. Therefore, we should carefully consider, or at least prepare some kind of means of defense before announcing our existence to the universe.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

your post confuses me, first you say that stephen hawking's senario of us being raided by aliens is unfounded. then you state the following:

"They would not, considering that a space faring civilization would have evolved mentally and spiritually to a level that would avoid at all costs interference in the natural process of evolution in the universe."

after you said we were all on a level playing field concerning our knowledge of alien races. you're assuming too much. have you ever considered that they are more selfish and arrogant and destructive than our race?

would you accept a coin toss. 50/50 odds. heads, the aliens destroy our race, use us for experiments, rape our planet, and fly away. tails, we meet them and they supply us with technology to better ourselves. (which we would probably use to destroy ourselves anyways given our history, but that isn't part of the equation).

or would you take option "C" and opt to not meet them?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
UFOs are real and are already here.

Well I guess that's it...no more discussion is needed....does Hawking agree with you? I bet he doesn't....

Mankind uses his five senses to determine reality. Hundreds of thousand witnesses had over the century determined their own reality. One person may be hallucinating, but hundred thousands hallucinating the same reality would be impossible.

Well then elves, big foot (yeti), vampires, werewolves and numerous other creatures, abilities, realities etc are all true too then. But you know there is one things all of this has in common, and that is they all only have the human element as proof and I’m not sure if that alone is enough to speak in truisms.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
reply to post by Matrix Rising

i am familiar with some of Steven Hawkings views on the subject, and i agree with him on much of it. But, we are televizing broadcast signals in space and have already launched objects out into space. they will/do know we are here.
I believe that it is widely thought that our present-day radio/TV broadcasts would be indiscernible against background radiation at distances beyond 2 light years. None of our spacecraft have yet traveled beyond a mere few billions of kilometers from the earth, and they ain't gonna get anywhere anytime soon either. We may not yet have let out the secret of our existence.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
That is true - to assume aliens are non-warlike would be bad if they turned up to kick our butts! But if they did arrive with a fight in mind, I think we may be in a bit of trouble. Or, we may be able to kick their shiny metal/grey/scaley butts! But in the end they would just die out from bacteria in the air, or we'd discover their weak spot in their space ships, or any of the other dozens of ways we beat them off in the movies!

link   
Look at ourselves, we kill each other over resources. Whose to say an alien group wouldn't travel planet to planet 'Independence day' style to take over and mine our resources? to think otherwise is just as ignorant as to think ourselves alone in this universe.

link   

Originally posted by tdatreefrogI agree with the probabilty of advanced life existing. Like a previous poster said however the main issue is time. I personally believe that time is the reason that although there may be hundreds, thousands, millions or more advanced civilizations none of them have had enough time to advance their technology enough to close the unimaginable distances between these civilizations. Maybe there are interplanetary travelers but I think the odds of a civilization advanced enough to travel the vast distances to us is even more slim.

The problem here is that is terrestrial thinking, because we can't travel out there doesn't mean that advanced civilizations can't travel here, if they are so advanced so is their technology, there is a good chance they have soved the time problem by folding space or teleporting to where they want to go.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join