It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says Aliens exist

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
How the tables have turned for the skeptics.

I remember way back then, the Fermi line was always used to debunk UFOlogists. Yup, aliens DO NOT EXIST AT ALL. People who believe in aliens are ridiculed mercilessly here.

Yet today, when the Royal Society members throw some crumbs over the existance of aliens, these highly egoistical skeptics so full of themselves comes groveling and change their tune to the modern hip lingo of following suit, and using the wonderful english language to double talk.

But no worries, UFOlogists are kind and forgiving folks. No need to beg for forgiveness. Just cut the ego and be humble, or the bashing sticks will be out.

By the way, 'UFO flying saucer craze' as was so derisively written as occuring only after Fermi's question that proves his utter stupidity, did not began only after he talked about it. UFOs had been around for centuries, The word 'saucer' came from a UFO sighting in Jan 1878.

But then , I dont expect skeptics to bother checking that data, for ridicule is what keeps em alive, and salvaging ego is all that is left now in the face of more people being aware of the alien issue.

Cheers! :-P

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

While this is cool and exciting (I guess), my dad has said the exact same thing for the last 20 years. This is another example of common knowledge being out in the open, and people only taking notice because someone who is high profile regurgitates it.

I even wrote a paper in grade 8 about this - the Drake Equation is basically an attempt at making a mathematical model which applies this notion.

Hawking, within the scientific field, is not really well liked; most scientists feel he is sort of a "hollywood" type persona, and gets alot more credit for things than he actually deserves. I watched a documentary, i believe it was "the hawking paradox" where his image within the scientific community was examined.

Anyone with a brain and a grain of logic should be able to arrive at a similar conclusion - unless one's brain is befuddled by the "earth is the center of all things" mantra.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by makinho21]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I appreciate Sir Hawkings ideas and theories, but Im afraid he's starting to get a little cocky.

People like us appreciate when a respected scientist/ Modern genius admits to something like"there being alien life out there," but in the eyes of the average person, he just lost some credibility.

How could he possibly know that aliens would be bad and would want to rape our planet for its resources? Maybe he's been watching a little too much "V"?

Unless of course, he is privy to some secret information due to his field of study, and his level of intellect. Usually, governments seek out the best and brightest, and the guy was "knighted" after all.

I personally have the same views on aliens as Hawking. From a scientific standpoint, its folly to be so close minded as to think we're the only intelligent thing in the universe as we know it.

I feel that if aliens are here, there's a good chance that there are more than one species. And, like some humans poach, hunt, and even torture animals for fun or financial gain, there are also human beings who spend their entire lives trying to keep animals safe. Perhaps this is the same with alien species, maybe there are some who come here with no emotion or feelings toward us, their only goal to do us harm and to gain our resources, while at the same time there are species out there that spend all their time trying to protect us.

I like Hawkings Chimp reference. This coincides with my theory on different alien species. How could a human conservationist explain themselves to a Redwood tree? How could a logger explain why he has to cut the tree down?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

I agree with what you are saying, Hawking presented his "Scavengers" as one possible idea, not that all advanced civilzations would be like that. Everyone keeps jumping to that one part of the show and he was just using it as a reason to be cautious in approaching another civilization. Serioulsy folks lets drop the "OMG HAWKING SAID IT SO IT MUST BE TRUE, THE ALIENS WILL BE JUST LIKE ID4!!!". As you suggest there are many possible outcomes.

He also said it was possible that nobody makes it out of the nuclear age but I don't hear anyone saying "OMG Hawking said we aren't going to make out of our current age before blowing ourselves up!". We are smart enough here (I hope) to realize he was just speculating and when you spend time on these boards you know he is not the only person alive to have a speculative thought.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Helmkat]

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
In a recent thread of mine, a pseudoskeptic said this.

As we don't have evidence of ETs life might very well be something that is exclusive to the earth. This is not a silly notion as it's based on facts.

Well, he's right. We don't have (sound, unequivocal) evidence of extraterrestrials. And until we have that evidence, we have to accept that life may very well be exclusive to Earth. As I said before, the odds are that it is not; but a very high probability is not the same thing as a certainty. Surely you can see that?

Anyway, is that the worst 'pseudosceptical' attack you could find? A polite and reasoned demurral? What about all the Santas and fairies?

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
I remember way back then, the Fermi line was always used to debunk UFOlogists. Yup, aliens DO NOT EXIST AT ALL. People who believe in aliens are ridiculed mercilessly here.

As I made clear in my previous post, Fermi's question shows he thought intelligent extraterrestrials probably do exist. I don't see how it can be used to suggest the contrary. Perhaps you could post an enlightening example or two?

Yet today, when the Royal Society members throw some crumbs over the existance of aliens, these highly egoistical skeptics so full of themselves comes groveling and change their tune to the modern hip lingo of following suit, and using the wonderful english language to double talk.

I suspect the 'highly egoistical sceptic' you're referring to is me - but perhaps this is just my egotistical assumption. Well, if it was my post you were referring to, my friend, fiddlesticks to you. My post was written in plain English and contains no doubletalk. If you cannot comprehend the difference between aliens existing and aliens visiting Earth, it isn't my fault.

My views on this subject have always been the same. Aliens si, aliens visiting Earth, no. If you deny this, post a quote from my writing on ATS that says different.

By the way, 'UFO flying saucer craze' as was so derisively written as occuring only after Fermi's question that proves his utter stupidity, did not began only after he talked about it. UFOs had been around for centuries, The word 'saucer' came from a UFO sighting in Jan 1878.

The present-day UFO culture originated in a 1947 press report of a claimed sighting in Idaho, which resulted in a rash of further claimed sightings all over the USA. Those reports and the popular phenomenon they documented are what journalists and historians refer to as the Flying Saucer Craze. Doubtless Fermi, too, had read the headlines, and they were on his mind when he asked the question. Obviously he wasnt' too impressed with the credibility of the claimed sightings.

The Flying Saucer Craze continued in episodic form until the early 1960s, then died out, as popular fashions do. A hard core of believers was left behind; from this the modern UFO movement grew. Surely, as a ufologist, you are familiar with the history of ufology?

I won't dispute that a ufologist has found the word 'saucer' in some account of a nineteenth-century 'sighting'. I know that UFO enthusiasts claim all kinds of historical and mythical narratives as accounts of UFO encounters. But the research that brought all that stuff up was done by UFO enthusiasts in the last fifty years or so; it all postdates the Flying Saucer Craze, which was its origin and inspiration.

And by the way, next time you wish to refer to me on these forums, would you kindly use my screen name, instead of some weasling allusion? You could always cut and paste the name from above my avatar if the spelling gives you any trouble.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
How the tables have turned for the skeptics.

So were these skeptics saying aliens do not exist in the universe or were they saying they have not had contact with earth?

If any said that there is no chance they exist at all are not skeptics at all.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'm actually glad that the pseudoskeptics have amnesia.

First, you are trying to debate something that was never said. Pseudoskeptics always try to debate against an absolute. Hawking didn't say there was unequivocal proof, he said based on the evidence he laid out in the documentary, that it's "rational" to talk about Aliens because it's "almost certain" they exist.

We always reach these conclusions based on available evidence and you often here terms coming from pseudoskeptics like "unequivocal proof" and "absolute proof." This is because they don't want to debate the available evidence because they can't. They want to debate against illogical absolutes. Here's some of the greatest hits from pseudoskeptics on this board:

Until an alien lands on your door, why give it any credence? Don't you like to believe in things that are real? I mean, I'm not saying you can't believe or that you shouldn't, but why have an opinion until you absolutely know?

The Main Reasons Why Aliens Don't Exist

I'd say if one did, we'd never know. Under that same premise, you could say bigfoot, trolls, vampires, werewolfs, and dragons exist.

Then how come you see no scientists believing in aliens. Surely they heard of the caveman drawlings. It's classified as psuedosceince because there is no real evidence to proove it's existence.

I would have more luck proving Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny exist than I would proving Aliens or the Tooth Fairy exist. OK Tooth Faires have a better chance

I could fill up 10 pages of quotes from pseudoskeptics not only talking about extraterrestrial visitation but the existence of extraterrestrials.

Like I said though, I'm glad the pseudoskeptics have amnesia. The debate shouldn't be about their existence, because it's "almost certain" they exist.

The debate should be about whether they have visited us? Are they hostile? What type of technology do they have? and more.

Since pseudoskeptics have amnesia, they obviously agree with the statement that based on the available evidence it's almost certain extraterrestrials exist and so it's rational to talk about them. It's not "wishful thinking" or like talking about "Santa, tooth fairy, trolls and vampires."

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

You must be joking Matrix. If you went skydiving and the instructor said

- I have two parachutes. One is "almost certain" to work and the other one is "certain" to work. Which one do you want Matrix?

What would your answer be?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister

- I have two parachutes. One is "almost certain" to work and the other one is "certain" to work. Which one do you want Matrix?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister

You could go the other way, and from the same instructor, "I am certain that there are other civilisations in our Galaxy, (never mind the universe)" and that, BTW, " I'm certain your parachute will open" that's two positives. Now, personally if he said that to me, I'd run a mile because I'd think he was a nutter, but on the other hand, there is really nothing to dispute in what was said,

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising

I'd say if one did, we'd never know. Under that same premise, you could say bigfoot, trolls, vampires, werewolfs, and dragons exist.

Within the universe these unknowns have just as much chance of existence don't you think? Everyone is saying with 100 billion galaxies alien are out there….well so are vampires and werewolves with those odds...

I could fill up 10 pages of quotes from pseudoskeptics not only talking about extraterrestrial visitation but the existence of extraterrestrials.

And I'm sure they are debunking the existance of aliens on earth in the vast majority of posts....

It seems that people give the same chances that life in general in the universe is equal to intelligent space faring life and even furthering it to aliens on earth. So people say that life must be in the universe and people say “you see there are aliens on earth” or people say that with 100 billion galaxies there must be other intelligent life and once again people assume that means aliens on earth….

Like I said though, I'm glad the pseudoskeptics have amnesia. The debate shouldn't be about their existence, because it's "almost certain" they exist.

If anyone knows probabilities it is the skeptic above the believer with flimsy evidence and faith. I hear it all the time as people "what if" their way past huge barriers.

The debate should be about whether they have visited us? Are they hostile? What type of technology do they have? and more.

I agree, but I can't get pass the "visit us" stage...

Since pseudoskeptics have amnesia, they obviously agree with the statement that based on the available evidence it's almost certain extraterrestrials exist and so it's rational to talk about them. It's not "wishful thinking" or like talking about "Santa, tooth fairy, trolls and vampires."

With a universe so large they ALL exists don’t you understand, or are we picking and choosing what is actually in a universe that can have it all?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
hello ats members dont redicule me please but i have been to some places that are well known while i can't give you alot of information i can give you some like he fact i have seen bodies mind you not live aleins but bodies and they were picked up by the u.s. goverment. the goverment has known for many years that aleins have exsisted and been to earth but they are afraid the average public can not handle the truth on aleins at this time but at some point in the next 2 years there is going to be a conference held for the general public where they will reveal aliens not only exsist but they will show you a body and what they want you to thnk is its a fake but trust me it is not area 51 is just a diversion the real alein projects are going on outside this country but in u.s. control now i know your going to tey to pick this and me apart because i have seen this happen before but trust me they are out there they are smarter than us and their technologies are more advanced than ours

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by killer4281
hello ats members dont redicule me please but i have been to some places that are well known while i can't give you alot of information i can give you some like he fact i have seen bodies mind you not live aleins but bodies and they were picked up by the u.s. goverment. the goverment has known for many years that aleins have exsisted and been to earth but they are afraid the average public can not handle the truth on aleins at this time but at some point in the next 2 years there is going to be a conference held for the general public where they will reveal aliens not only exsist but they will show you a body and what they want you to thnk is its a fake but trust me it is not area 51 is just a diversion the real alein projects are going on outside this country but in u.s. control now i know your going to tey to pick this and me apart because i have seen this happen before but trust me they are out there they are smarter than us and their technologies are more advanced than ours

The significant matter is not in relation to their "technology" but instead to their actual awareness.

Awareness is far more powerful than play toys such as technology.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Stephen is a fraud!! He has done nothing to deserve the credit he so enjoys. He is actually been more wrong then right. He just gets a free pass because he is so pathetic in nature. If he was not so messed up he would be a nobody. This is the truth. I take nothing this man says as fact or even personal truth. He is that big of a fraud.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11118

Awareness is far more powerful than play toys such as technology.

My deepest respect to you for coming out with that phrase. Only you and a handful realizes this truism. Only can the truth set us free. From awareness will all things beget

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
yes but let me tell you this if they have mastered space flight don't you think that these aliens have the brains to use the technology that they have? i mean honestly i think if they are smart enough to master space flight they are smart enough to know how to use the equipment that they have and further more i would like to point out maybe they have something thatt we need to know about and learn from these beings

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I would like to address the question of are we being visited and have we been visited in the past.

When asked for proof of ET visitation think inlaws.

I know they have visited me in the past because they were seen. I have a couple of photos but some of my inlaws are pretty unbelievable and most here would say 'Photo shopped'. I also have lots of missing time I cannot account for when they come and have no recollection of the reason for their visit or what happened during it. I know they will come again.

There is infact more evidence for ET visits than inlaws as they have been recorded on radar, chased by fighter aircraft and reported by airline pilots and police yet none of the above have reported sightings of my inlaws. Well maybe the police and my aunty Betty but that's another story.

I believe, and on this subject you can only claim to believe with the evidence available that life is everywhere. If I accept this then I must accept the possibility that we have and are being visited and there are many reasons to believe this also. All nations governments agree with me as they treat it serious enough to slap more than top secret stamps on files regarding them.

If you need absolute proof I suggest this is the wrong place to look.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by colin42]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

IF there is a "hell" I think your gonna get a front seat.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by svpwizard

You got there before me... Unbelievable.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by svpwizard
reply to post by Subjective Truth

IF there is a "hell" I think your gonna get a front seat.

For a small portion of time I thought Above Top Secret was a place for people to share opinions.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join