It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says Aliens exist

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
stephen is an idiot if he thinks blood thirsty pirates with warp drives and plasma cannons are gonna have spare time to take over other planets. They will be very busy killing eachother.

I think what he is trying to say is that the aliens may have a different world view than ours (which makes sense). And on top of that we always look at aliens (via the media) in two types of classifications, one is they are war mongers and out to kill us and take over our planet etc. etc.. The other one is that we think that they are malevolent beings who look out for our best interest either by themselves or with a group of other species like some federation. I think they won't be like the first or the second, more likely they'll be selfish and care about themselves. Not necessarily wanting to kill us or be friends, but looking out for their best interest and their world view. If it's in their best interest to be friends, then they will but if it's not they won't (hell, there's no guarantee that they know what those terms mean especially if it's a human concept).

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JScytale
People who dabble in the occult and believe in the religion / other mythology tend to see UFOs and aliens more often for one very simple reason: they are extremely susceptible to treating fantasy as fact. It really is as simple as that. If you are willing to believe something without any evidence supporting it, and willing to close your mind entirely to contradictory evidence in favor of your own unsupported narrative, then OF COURSE you'll see what you want to see everywhere.

Look... ignorance has a new name! Unfortunately it's yours.

Who the hell do you think you are to call any person that had a experience different than yours of basically a lunatic, crazy or of refusing to accept reality (yours in this case)?

Do me a favor define the word "evidence" -- one that you speak with your chest full of arrogance -- and come back to this discussion.

You might learn a thing or two while trying to define that word.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karma_Chameleon
I was trying to make that point in a nice way. Also, the PTB are using this mans disability to their advantage. I just know in the backs of the PTB's minds they are thinking..."how can people not listen to Stephen Hawking, he's disabled."

Yes, our leaders are that sick folks.

No, the only people that are sick are people like you. You have no idea what "the powers that be are thinking," beyond the caricature you have of them in your mind, all the while thinking this caricature is all the proof you need.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkmustache

I don't think his logic is flawed at all, we have found organisms that are surviving in evironments where we thought life couldn't exist. The way I look at it, on this one planet, there are billions of different species living here, all kinds from single celled to complex, major diversity here, a lot of life has happened on Earth, we are one planet, life doesn't need much to occur, obviously, look at the different types.

So are we talking life in general or advance intelligent space faring life? I find a big difference here and it seems many do not. Just looking at earth we have 4 billion years for evolution to work with and 100s of billions of different life forms that have come and gone, but with all that evolution has only produced one life form with a small chance to make it into space and beyond. I can't say the odds are good anywhere else that life in general also exists that space faring races will also form.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Show me an alien with the technology to travel vast interstellar distances at will.

Then I'll show you an alien who would have access to virtually limitless resources.
People should really think outside the "Star Trek Alien" box.

It's hard to envisage the sheer magnitude of technological advancement (which differs greatly from theoretical science) WE still need to make simply to explore the solar system [in person].

Extrapolate from there...........

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychiatrium
its great that the possibility of alien life is beeing (slowly) accepted , but why are everyone saying that they are dangerous, and that we should avoid any contact. seems unfair to me

I don't think reality conforms to what I want to be true, so I'm not going to take a position based on wishful thinking. We don't know anything about the intentions of ETs, and considering the huge potential difference between us and a technologically sophisticated civilization, we have to be concerned about the comparatively massive amount of power potentially at their disposal and about the possibility that they could use that power in a way that is contrary to our interests.

It's not about good aliens, or bad aliens, spiritual development or a lack of it. Few people who take actions against others believe what they are doing is wrong. How many of us worry about the insects we kill while trying to protect our gardens? How many of us worry about the weeds we pull? There could be potentially a hugely greater difference between a technologically advanced ET civilization and humanity, than there is between us and the weeds in our garden. We exterminate those weeds without hesitation or remorse... (because we don't see it as wrong... and in fact we believe we are doing good for our gardens.)

They may not have any sensible reason to be troubled by the thought of wiping us out. And how are we going to organize a defense against an intelligence that can think circles around us?

Could they be friendly? YES. Can we take the chance that they aren't? I wouldn't. Especially since we already have precedence that intelligent life (humans, and other terrestrial) are capable of hostile acts against others. So we know it's possible!

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Tearman]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible
Show me an alien with the technology to travel vast interstellar distances at will.

Then I'll show you an alien who would have access to virtually limitless resources.
People should really think outside the "Star Trek Alien" box.

It's hard to envisage the sheer magnitude of technological advancement (which differs greatly from theoretical science) WE still need to make simply to explore the solar system [in person].

Extrapolate from there...........

We are assuming they are this advance.....

What if an alien race...let’s say 10,000 years advance of us hollowed out an asteroid and been traveling for an extremely long period of time and they happen on earth....maybe a very different scenario from the all powerful/ all knowing alien.

Or one that is so alien that they barely recognized humans as anything more than carbon, and mines earth for their use.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by killuminati2012
The issue isn't so much if life exists outside of this little blue ball we call Earth. I have yet to see a scientist deny that as probable. The real debate is about intelligent life visiting Earth.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly.

I don’t think most people doubt the existence of alien life but do they visit us or not.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

My problem with this theory is you quote your man's numbers like they are definite. Bottom line is he can assume that on other planets it's take exactly what it takes here on earth for life to exist (your constants) but when it comes down to it we have no idea. Like it was said earlier, we might not even be able to comprehend what life elsewhere looks like. Bottom line is Hugh Ross is making an educated guess at best, he can't definitively know how many atoms are in the universe, he can guess how many planets there is and he can make an assumption that this is what it takes for life to exist but he really doesn't know. Cause life as we know it and what it takes for that to start could be entirely different once you get out there.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_
Look... ignorance has a new name! Unfortunately it's yours.

Who the hell do you think you are to call any person that had a experience different than yours of basically a lunatic, crazy or of refusing to accept reality (yours in this case)?

Do me a favor define the word "evidence" -- one that you speak with your chest full of arrogance -- and come back to this discussion.

You might learn a thing or two while trying to define that word.

Evidence:

ev·i·dence    /ˈɛvɪdəns/ Show Spelled [ev-i-duhns]
noun, verb,-denced, -denc·ing. –noun
1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
2. something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign: His flushed look was visible evidence of his fever.
3. Law. data presented to a court or jury in proof of the facts in issue and which may include the testimony of witnesses, records, documents, or objects.

dictionary.reference.com...

Evidence in its broadest sense includes everything that is used to determine or demonstrate the truth of an assertion. Giving or procuring evidence is the process of using those things that are either (a) presumed to be true, or (b) were themselves proven via evidence, to demonstrate an assertion's truth. Evidence is the currency by which one fulfills the burden of proof.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's not a matter of belief. I don't care what people believe and don't impose my own beliefs on others - but when people express belief as fact without any evidence, such as is the case with all religious belief, don't expect me (or any rational human being) to take you seriously.

You might want to read up on the following as well:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Apparently most (Earth) humans don't have a need to believe they're ALONE in the universe, but most people, Stephen Hawking included, clearly need to believe they're the CENTER of the universe, as only actions (including inactions) can ever speak. That's including and especially many or most of those whose mere words would scream to the contrary. There's a MUCH stronger anthropocentric universe model in place now, that controls all things political, than even in Galileo's time about 400 years ago. NOW we have the double whammy of the powers of the various churches/religions AND the de facto religions of secrecy-BASED governments to coddle and defer to the shallow, flimsy-weak egos and psyches of the various (religious and political) true believers who, by definition, are unconcerned with objectivity. Good Christ, what a backward Hell hole this planet is, like mere words could never express!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Theres no argument any skeptic can make to discredit the high possibility of extraterrestrial life.

These 'constants' I hear being thrown around aren't even valid. Why must life live in a set of conditions equal to our own? You have life living miles under the sea, where the pressure would kill us in a millisecond. We have life that 'breathes' water. We have life living in hostile areas almost always below zero degrees. From arctic areas to desert areas, from land to sea, life has found a way to flourish.

To believe that this extreme range of life can only occur on our one tiny world is ludicrous. The evidence is here on earth that life can exist almost anywhere. These 'constants' prove nothing.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Takamuri]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I think we should also stay away from aliens, atleast the majority of them, because of how incredibly different they could be from us...They could have entirely different views upon some of the simplest things, a smile could be reinterpreted as a violent attack upon them, and instigate war.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Posters, realize that extraterrestrials are already here.

They are advanced enough to understand that Love is the creative force throughout the Infinite cosmos.

The extraterrestrials whom watch us are benevolent and comprehend the most important fact and that is they, and all else, are the One Creator. Technology is child's play, for they create and move themselves at Will with thought.

Wake-up, look at ancient history.

Humans are so trapped in this box that "aliens" must conquer and devour minerals to feed their empire full of technology like ours when really it comes down to who is more consciously aware of what existence actually is.

When people see light ships that radiate in light it isn't exactly technology but more of the extraterrestrials themselves.

I also should point out that extraterrestrial life is looking at you right in your face, as everything is aware that including the sun that shines down with Love and holds it's planets so close to it's warmth.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by milkmustache

I don't think his logic is flawed at all, we have found organisms that are surviving in evironments where we thought life couldn't exist. The way I look at it, on this one planet, there are billions of different species living here, all kinds from single celled to complex, major diversity here, a lot of life has happened on Earth, we are one planet, life doesn't need much to occur, obviously, look at the different types.

So are we talking life in general or advance intelligent space faring life? I find a big difference here and it seems many do not. Just looking at earth we have 4 billion years for evolution to work with and 100s of billions of different life forms that have come and gone, but with all that evolution has only produced one life form with a small chance to make it into space and beyond. I can't say the odds are good anywhere else that life in general also exists.

Agreed, but that's only for what we know.

We still don't know if there weren't or what happened here in previous "cycles" or even if humans were in fact generated here on Earth. In my opinion when it comes to humans the evolutionary theory has far too many holes in it to be considered a law. Personally I see it as a partial answer for part of a question and by no means proves that much when it comes to the human evolution.

The missing links to make the evolutionary theory pass when it comes to humans are far too many.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
How are humans supposed to avoid contact with aliens?
I for one believe they have visited us and are on earth. However, I think they hold all the cards, they decide how much contact they want to have with us, not the other way around.

In my opinion there is lots of evidence that they hold more technology then humans, so when it comes down to it, they decided, not us.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_
The missing links to make the evolutionary theory pass when it comes to humans are far too many.

Name one.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11118

They are advanced enough to understand that Love is the creative force throughout the Infinite cosmos.

The extraterrestrials whom watch us are benevolent and comprehend the most important fact and that is they, and all else, are the One Creator. Technology is child's play, for they create and move themselves at Will with thought.

Humans are so trapped in this box that "aliens" must conquer and devour minerals to feed their empire full of technology like ours when really it comes down to who is more consciously aware of what existence actually is.

When people see light ships that radiate in light it isn't exactly technology but more of the extraterrestrials themselves.

I also should point out that extraterrestrial life is looking at you right in your face, as everything is aware that including the sun that shines down with Love and holds it's planets so close to it's warmth.

I like how you can talk about an ET's main idea of life and what they think is important yet you cannot provide any hard evidence of this alien existing.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
How are humans supposed to avoid contact with aliens?
I for one believe they have visited us and are on earth. However, I think they hold all the cards, they decide how much contact they want to have with us, not the other way around.

In my opinion there is lots of evidence that they hold more technology then humans, so when it comes down to it, they decided, not us.

I think the presumption here is that they haven't detected us yet, and that considering the distances between stars are so huge, there is a lot we can do to minimize our distinctive signature as it would appear to anyone looking from light years away. And at the least, we shouldn't do anything deliberately that would make it easier for them to locate us.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Originally posted by 11118

I like how you can talk about an ET's main idea of life and what they think is important yet you cannot provide any hard evidence of this alien existing.

You will see just as I have.

Earth is being helped from all wakes of existence at this moment in time before the transition into the new world.

Want proof? Get a vast majority of people to request, with every fiber of their being, for contact and help or even simply Love and wait. Extraterrestrials won't make contact unless you want them to because it is your right not to know and for them to do otherwise would be an infringement on your Free Will.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by 11118]

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join