It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says Aliens exist

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You can't take the sheer volume of numbers (100 Billion galaxies each with 100's of millions stars) and think we are all there is. We don't even have a grasp of the varieties of life here on Earth yet. There are entire colonies of life here that live in the heat of volcanic rifts at the bottom of our deepest ocean trenches and the other most inhospitable places on Earth. All of these vast life forms are still collectively carbon based life forms.

I have seen enough things in my time to know that we are visited all the time. Even the bible, which I put very little trust in, basically says we were put here on Earth (the Adam and Eve story), colonized IMO by another humanoid race. My guess would be that we have alien protectors (probably the ones that colonized the Earth with humans) to keep us from being callously exploited. But we may well be in control of our own destiny for the time being to prove whether or not we are worthy of being accepted into a 'league of worlds' in the universe. Questions like,"are we too hostile to evolve? Can we even make through the next 20 years? Are our survival instincts strong enough to allow us to get along with each other without destroying ourselves first, before reaching out to beings from beyond our little planet in the backwaters of the Milky Way Galaxy?

As others have posted, we cannot even fathom what types of lifeforms might be out there. We cannot begin to understand how civilizations might evolve on planets made up of chlorine gas, or evolve under constant bombardment of xrays, etc.

In the world of science, it is never a smart move to say, "Never" or "Always"...you just set yourself up to be proven wrong.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by inner_sanctum]

[edit on 25-4-2010 by inner_sanctum]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Reading past Hawking’s papers on this I get the feeling he doesn't see aliens as some kind of common factor throughout the universe, but more that mathematically they will exist because for no other reason that the universe is so large. So let’s say that there are some within our very own galaxy, but once again we are talking 300 billion stars and 100 million light years in distance. So if I marked a grain of sand on earth even with the ability to travel it its location can anyone find it? So now we would have a limited number of alien life flying around the galaxy and we are a grain of sand…

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

I really don't think this planet is ours as much as we think it is anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
When we break free from our current paradigm of perceived scarcity, we will also break free our gravitational bond with this Earth. We will truly venture out amongst the stars and enter a new Age for man. Mr. Hawking is speaking with a voice from the old paradigm. In our current mindset, our world appears to be constrained in the shackles of want - of lack. Though abundance abounds, we see a world of limited resources. We observe reflections of war, pestilence & famine. Our Exodus will see the shattering of this limited mindset ~ and with it, such tired reflections will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day ~ as will the fear of our brothers & sisters of the cosmos.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_
reply to post by Karma_Chameleon

I have to say that I'm not aware of the entire Hawking's work, but in my opinion from what I've read from him I have to say that his "computer" as you said has never been that good to begin with.

Agreed.

I was trying to make that point in a nice way. Also, the PTB are using this mans disability to their advantage. I just know in the backs of the PTB's minds they are thinking................."how can people not listen to Stephen Hawking, he's disabled."

Yes, our leaders are that sick folks.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Personally, I would love to know what is in fact going on. 100 BILLION galaxies (educated guess, as there are many more we can't see) stretched across the vastness of the infinite universe, and there are STILL some people who think that this little ball of mud, populated with a species that's hell-bent on its own destruction, is God's special creation, as well as the only "Intelligent" (I use that term loosely in connection with my species) life floating around in space.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karma_Chameleon

Originally posted by thomas_
reply to post by Karma_Chameleon

I have to say that I'm not aware of the entire Hawking's work, but in my opinion from what I've read from him I have to say that his "computer" as you said has never been that good to begin with.

Agreed.

I was trying to make that point in a nice way. Also, the PTB are using this mans disability to their advantage. I just know in the backs of the PTB's minds they are thinking................."how can people not listen to Stephen Hawking, he's disabled."

Yes, our leaders are that sick folks.

Daring claim...
Anyway, I never needed Stephen Hawking to tell me aliens exist. What he states should everyone already have figured out, I mean, common sense you know.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingfish
Common sense tells us that if there is intelligent life out there, which I believe there is, advanced alien civilizations would have no desire to harm us in anyway.

I think this wishful thinking and naive at best.All you need to do is a little research into our own short history( here on earth) to see that even with in our own species, the dominant culture will always dominate and subjugate the weaker.
To say an advanced civilization would come across the universe to hold our hands or save us from our selves is fantasy.
A blue purl in the vastness of the universe is a rare gem and prize to behold. Do not think for one second this earth will always be yours for the taking.

Rest assured that ignorance isn't something exclusive of Earth. Where there is good there is evil and bet that there are some bad guys out there as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by -Thom-

Exactly, what he speaks there is for 5 years old raised in a bubble. Anyone else should already be familiar with this stuff.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Throughout mankind's history, we had never fear advance tech or might. Look at the greeks against the Persians, Rome against the might of Hannibal. Slaves against their masters.

Read a history book, specifically parts involving things like nuclear weapons or the spanish conquest of america. The combination of might and strategy always wins in warfare, and technology multiplies might. Not to mention, we HAVE had to fear technology, specifically nuclear weapons.

Oh, and the Persians beat the Greeks in every battle until the Greeks roused an army of equal size. Hannibal also defeated Rome.

Even recent history, look at our bunch of founding fathers, who stoodfast against a numerical and technologically advanced nation that ruled and subjugated the world at that time - England, and yet it was the redcoats that got their asses kicked.

They most certainly didn't get their asses kicked - it was a very close fight from beginning to end - and the English had no real technological advantage. The main advantage the British had was mobility due to their navy, which was pretty much negated by the French giving the Americans the exact same option and the fact the Americans employed guerrilla tactics + had superior numbers.

The asians then, who had been kept stupid by their rulers, were easily subdued by the redcoats. Some turned traitor against their own kind. But in the end, asians too took courage from the American example and with courage booted off the redcoats, by the sword and the pen in far more recent times.

First, stop generalizing. Second, no one can be "kept stupid" by their rulers and this never happened. Third, the desire to rule oneself needs no example (and revolutions have been occurring since, well, forever). Finally, the US was not and never was the prime example for democratic revolt - France was. They did invent the whole idea after all.

Mankind just cannot be kept down for long. A conqueror will have to wipe out every single human life which is impossible, or one day, the attempt to rise up will naturally come.

Oh no, its quite possible. Dare I say, easy for a race capable of traveling between stars?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
its great that the possibility of alien life is beeing (slowly) accepted , but why are everyone saying that they are dangerous, and that we should avoid any contact.
seems unfair to me

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by crusaderiam
Hawkings is an atheist so he believes in a lie. There is no life on other planets unless God the creator put it there. Evolution is a joke and easily dis-proven. Basic laws of mathematical chances and common sense throws life randomly evolving out the window. Of course popular scientist lack common sense and objectivity now days, while those who really believe in being objective and looking for the truth in the evidence are shunned.

What the so called aliens are either hoax's or inter dimensional beings, basically in the same category as spirits, demons, fallen angels. They do things that defy physical reality because they aren't truly physical in nature, not because of some advanced technology they have.

Can we just keep this dribble off the UFO forums? If I was in charge of this place it would be a bannable offense. Get an education, learn what these "evil ideas" you categorically dismiss even mean, then get back to us? K? Thanks.

People who dabble in the occult tend to have a higher frequency of seeing UFO's and Aliens from my understanding. They are basically opening themselves up to the spirit world of which is very dangerous to do so and thus increase alien encounters.

People who dabble in the occult and believe in the religion / other mythology tend to see UFOs and aliens more often for one very simple reason: they are extremely susceptible to treating fantasy as fact. It really is as simple as that. If you are willing to believe something without any evidence supporting it, and willing to close your mind entirely to contradictory evidence in favor of your own unsupported narrative, then OF COURSE you'll see what you want to see everywhere.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

t's actually quite surprising to me that Hawking thinks that we shouldn't seek contact.. why? I'd love to hear his reasoning for this.
Hawkings is only using life on Earth as a reference. Most of Terran life, from Humans down to tiny insects and even plants, tend to raid other beings resources and to kill off any forms they can't exploit.

As for our planet, I speak as a Terran (or Earth-ian?): it is the jewel of the Sun's treasure chest. It is rich and ripe with all kinds of life, in myriad beautiful forms. It is truly incredibly beautiful, despite some of the more voracious life forms trying to rip it apart (strip mining, etc - and no I'm not a "tree hugger" but think they have the right idea). Now I realize I am prejudiced because I love our Mother but I can see how others, zooming in from remote space, might pick her out of all the rest of the planets as a likely area of exploitation.

I think he's trying to say be prepared for anything.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaMadameDuval
reply to post by Tryptych

It's actually quite surprising to me that Hawking thinks that we shouldn't seek contact.. why? I'd love to hear his reasoning for this.

Sorry Tryptch, I should have encased your quote appropriately. Here it is.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychiatrium
its great that the possibility of alien life is beeing (slowly) accepted , but why are everyone saying that they are dangerous, and that we should avoid any contact.
seems unfair to me

Mainly because earthlings are superimposing their own knowledge of how dangerous we are to ourselves and extrapolating that the rest of the universe thinks the way we do. Personally, I imagine that there are good and bad civilizations out there and that just because a civilization reaches the technical advancement to conquer space doesn't make them omnipotent. However, most of these civilizations would have to come from a world that has evolved into a 'one world/government civilization before being able to focus on inner planetary voyages. And that would help make them a more tolerant and open species.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
What I get from Hawkings thought on this is that if an alien species has the ability to travel through space for long periods of time and distance their would be no reason to make contact with us primitive beings on Earth unless we had something they wanted. And if we had something the alien species wanted there's nothing we could do to stop them from taking it. their technology would be far superior than ours that we would be defenceless against an agressive alien encounter.

Same thing as if we humans were exploring space and came across a planet with great resources and critters on it that turned out to be quite comical with their little stones and spears against our massive ships and shields. Not much a threat but sure are tasty little beings. Even their Gods couldn't protect them from our aggresive behavior. We wouldn't think twice about taking what we wanted or how it would affect the life on the planet and if they did resist we would take what we wanted by force.
But if they are any thing like us they would think we are Gods and give us what we want any way and enslave themselves to do it.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by Matrix Rising

as much as i love hawking, his logic is flawed, he has underestemated the odds. there are things called "anthropic constants". basically, precise and narrowly defined variables that must be exact for life to exist.

"Astrophysicist Hugh Ross has calculated the probability that these and other constants (122 in all) would exist today for any planet in the universe by chance (I.e., without Divine design). Assuming there are 10^22 planets in the universe (a very large number: 1 with 22 zeros following it), his answer is shocking; one chance in 10^138, that’s one chance in one with 138 zeros after it. There are only about 10^70 atoms in the entire universe."

do i believe that life exists elsewhere? meh, i'm not sure. but to claim that the odds are in favor of life existing elsewhere is silly when the chances of life existing on our own planet is so slim.

I don't think his logic is flawed at all, we have found organisms that are surviving in evironments where we thought life couldn't exist. The way I look at it, on this one planet, there are billions of different species living here, all kinds from single celled to complex, major diversity here, a lot of life has happened on Earth, we are one planet, life doesn't need much to occur, obviously, look at the different types. On another planet, everything we thought we knew about life might be completely wrong. We haven't even sent a human past the moon, how are we smart enough to determine what life needs in order to exist? That's like having a monkey grade your math homework. With so much life here, it's silly to say that life doesn't exist elsewhere, just look around you at all there is, and remember this is just ONE planet out of a sky FULL of stars and gallaxies. Honestly though who knows? I think the chances are leaning towards life being elsewhere for sure.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by scraze

Consider extremophiles - bacteriae prolific under circumstances we thought to be lethal by itself; or the anaerobic multicellular organisms that have been recently discovered. Compare this information to Ross's first "anthropic constant":

I have always held the belief that the more advance life becomes the more fragile it also becomes. As with cases like bacteria living in extreme hostile environments we most likely will not see advance life able to do the same. Sure there might be some intelligent lava alien, but so far we can’t even hypothesize on how that can happen.

I'd dare to say that this newly discovered species of Spinoloricus, phylum Loricifera, here on our own earth, would disagree with this very first constant. Apart from that, the fact that human beings would suffocate at 15% doesn't relate to the possibility of extraterrestrial life, either.

Anyway you look at it life will need energy in some form, and advance life may never form pass Spinoloricus if the conditions are not right. Also who is to say spinolorious are hardy? I would bet they live in a delicate balance and if we moved them to a nicer environment they would all die off.

What gravitational force is he referring to here? The gravitational pull of the sun? Surely, in that hypothetical, the sun still exists; so that's not it. What effect could destroy the sun? Or does he mean we would be removed too far from the sun to still be able to see it?

Yes, I'm not sure what he is referring to, but there are limits if we go beyond life in general and we start talking about advance space faring life.

Whatever he wants to imply here, the fact is that there are a lot of planets in a fairly stable orbit. We're not even in a perfectly stable orbit ourselves. If this is a constant, then how does he apply it?

There has been a recent addition to a constant needed for advance life. That constant is that a planet’s orbit needs to be exactly right where earth is and the sun needs to be exactly like our sun. The old thought was that we could see a variable as in a big hot sun we could just move the planet farther away for the perfect orbit, and closer for a smaller cooler sun, but there lies a major miscalculation.

If the sun was hotter its radiation would be in the UV, X-rays and Gama ray ranges and if it was cooler it would be a giant microwave, so the 6000 degrees that our sun constantly produces gives off the exact radiation wave length needed for life within an extremely narrow bandwidth.

Now, one could argue that aliens flying around the universe might thrive in a microwave or X ray environment, but I would think it would be extremely unlikely, and that advance life has limitations to which it needs to survive.

I, for one, don't think we need to worry about the speed of light being variable, much less posing any obstacle for extraterrestrial life.

But so far it is.... This is where we find ourselves the need to "what if" like crazy to get pass an obstacle. In this case it is the speed of light, and so we can “what if” anything into existence or “what if” any situation, but that doesn’t help the case at all.

The reason why we like to just smash the speed of light as if it was a non-factor is we tend to say that the universe is so large that life is out there, but then we need to make it smaller for any of that life to meet, hence the need to disregard the speed of light, or create something that totally bypasses it for physical matter.

Anthropic Constant 10: Jupiter.

If Jupiter were not in it’s current orbit, the earth would be bombarded with space material. Jupiter’s gravitational field acts as a cosmic vacuum cleaner, attracting asteroids and comets that might otherwise strike earth.

It is also been suggested that a planet like Jupiter is needed in the formation of a solar system, that it provides the mechanism for the smaller closer planets to form. But if anything it just adds one more factor to support advance life to form. Right now it is suggested that life on earth gets reset every 70 million years due to a large enough asteroid and without Jupiter that time could be much shorter, and life needs time…lots of it.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Matrix, the only person here not making any sense is you.

You continue to claim that skeptics deny that aliens could exist in the galaxy. Please point to where a skeptic has said, in the past decade, without providing a cogent argument. Please tell us how this makes a skeptic "closed-minded". If this is indeed what skeptics think, it should be simple enough to provide this evidence.

But you won't, because you can't. Not only do you have no such evidence, but because you are incapable of any actual thought beyond your script.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
stephen is an idiot if he thinks blood thirsty pirates with warp drives and plasma cannons are gonna have spare time to take over other planets. They will be very busy killing eachother.

I think what he is trying to say is that the aliens may have a different world view than ours (which makes sense). And on top of that we always look at aliens (via the media) in two types of classifications, one is they are war mongers and out to kill us and take over our planet etc. etc.. The other one is that we think that they are malevolent beings who look out for our best interest either by themselves or with a group of other species like some federation. I think they won't be like the first or the second, more likely they'll be selfish and care about themselves. Not necessarily wanting to kill us or be friends, but looking out for their best interest and their world view. If it's in their best interest to be friends, then they will but if it's not they won't (hell, there's no guarantee that they know what those terms mean especially if it's a human concept).

new topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join