It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you tell me about water?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSdelurker

Aside from boiling water, I guess you can run it through some kind of filter. Reverse osmosis is best and you can buy those. If you were to build your own filter, there are different types of sands you can use. A combo of diatomaceous earth and finer silica sand should do fairly well, but you want the flow to be slow enough to filter, and the sand not so fine that it keeps getting clogged. Granular activated carbon also works very well with adsorbing bacteria and some of the worse chemicals though I wouldn't use it as the only treatment. These materials need to be refilled fairly often, especially since I can't really explain how to calculate and create a backwash system in a thread.

Basically, the typical water treatment system is 1) a grit remover, 2) a tank to keep the water calm so the heavy stuff drops to the bottom, then don't disturb the water to keep the gritty stuff from mixing back into the water 3) a sand filter of some sort to get rid of the solids/bacteria that won't fall to the bottom, 4) carbon (can't remember what step this would be actually, but it should get rid of volatile organic chemicals), and 5) UV light. ... so, if you can do all these, you should have fairly decent water.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by ATSdelurker]

Wow, sounds complicated!
I have a water filter but they only filter so many gallons before they need to be replaced, and I am not sure how well it would work filtering chemicals from groundwater.

I thought maybe someone knew a simple way to clean water.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Selifield is based in west Cumbria, basically go to isle of man in the UK and go directly east until you hit the British coast. That's where its located.

They are decommissioning it but reports done over the years suggest that there is radiation on our beaches etc. which might explain a lot of the areas strange behavior LOL

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
I live in a city and within a few blocks from a golf course. It sounds like the ground water here could be polluted if I dug a well in my back yard.

Thats a good assumption, I dont know what golf course use to keep things up, but I certainly wouldnt want to drink it.

You said that this happened in the winter. From a previous post, you also mentioned you are in Alaska. Generally when you have a late winter ice storm in Alaska there is other ice and snow around. Bring it in, melt, boil, cool and filter. Not the yellow snow however.

Being in, or near a large city does produce problems that others dont always think about, as many "survivalists" tend to avoid living in urban areas. There are only 3 "real" cities in Alaska, one is on a major river confluance, the other two on the coast. If you are in the interior, I think there is always ice up there, if not, you should easily be able to find enough running water that can be filtered and or boiled. On the coast, learn how desalination works. There are countless sites out there about doing this on large and small scale.

As far as rain water goes, if you do catch it and you have asphalt roofing, I would certainly filter and boil that, if you have a steel roof, there will be less contamination.

Your best bets are to store your own and rotate every so often, have a good water filter and plenty of cartridge changes, know where moving water is in your area, as stagnant water tends to hold more little nasties.

Note, even with running water, walk upstream before drinking to be certain there are no dead animals or oil spills seeping into your supply.

Last point, when it comes to water, no matter what you did to it, where it came from, etc... if it doesnt smell right, dont drink it. Find a new source and start over.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ibex08

reports done over the years suggest that there is radiation on our beaches etc. which might explain a lot of the areas strange behavior LOL

I would think that most people live near some radiation these days. Nuclear Power Plants are pretty common and everyone seems to want to make bombs.

Thanks for the directions!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

As far as rain water goes, if you do catch it and you have asphalt roofing, I would certainly filter and boil that, if you have a steel roof, there will be less contamination.

Your best bets are to store your own and rotate every so often, have a good water filter and plenty of cartridge changes, know where moving water is in your area, as stagnant water tends to hold more little nasties.

Note, even with running water, walk upstream before drinking to be certain there are no dead animals or oil spills seeping into your supply.

Last point, when it comes to water, no matter what you did to it, where it came from, etc... if it doesnt smell right, dont drink it. Find a new source and start over.

Thanks for the good advice.
I don't live in Alaska. I have been there and was just commenting on bird poo verses animal poo making people sick. Sorry for the confusion.

Water filters only last so long even if you have lots of them. I think coffee filters would take out some big stuff before boiling water. How long do you boil water? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 20 minutes?

People talk about food, weapons, and bug-out bags, but I am worried about water. It didn't take long for the pipes to stop flowing.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If you would like to be able to drink any water available to you at your home then this is for you. I have it on my "to do list" . Can be easily home built for under 100$ if you look for the items freee on craigs list...I got 2 sliding glass door glass free... can make several solar distilled water mills.

this link is a pdf that details the solar water distiller through several generations of design.. Complete with water qauality tables....enjoy.

Foster, R., SWTDI New Mexico State University, Amos, W., SolAqua, Inc. and Eby, S., El Paso Solar Energy Association, 2005

pdf on solar still design/paramerters

I haven't built mine .. but have materials ..same for many "survival " appliances..I have the materials but have not put them together...rocket stove. water distiller, security cams, flame thrower, animal traps,+ several projects that can be finished in days as priorities demand....with help...ie fallout shelter ...with few motivated friends done in 2 days

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Basically rainwater is about the only thing relatively safe anywhere within I'd say 100 miles that has been inhabited

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
depending on where you live and the amount of pollutants that might be in the air, having rain tanks is a good way to catch water.
If your roof or house has been built in the last 10-20 years its tiles should be safe enough, older tiles could contain asbestos type materials.

rainwater will last a long time even being stored in plastic 200 litre drums. the idea for a roof water collection system is to have a first flush device fitted where a certain amount of the first water is diverted away from the tank before filling begins, this gets rid of any other materials present from the roof and stops the cotaminents from entering the tank.

also to note, that in colder climates this water can freeze and or burst the tanks while outside.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
Thanks for the good advice.
I don't live in Alaska. I have been there and was just commenting on bird poo verses animal poo making people sick. Sorry for the confusion.

Water filters only last so long even if you have lots of them. I think coffee filters would take out some big stuff before boiling water. How long do you boil water? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 20 minutes?

People talk about food, weapons, and bug-out bags, but I am worried about water. It didn't take long for the pipes to stop flowing.

Sorry for the assumption.

I have always heard that a hard boil at 10 minutes should kill pretty much everything. There are others that feel once you get to a hard boil, you are fine. I would rather wait 10 minutes, but thats just me.

The coffee filter idea isnt a bad one, nylons, socks, mosquito nets, etc... could all be used to filter dirt out. They wont do anything about germs, but if you are certain your water is relatively safe, anything to strain larger items is always a good idea. You cant boil out dirt.

I would be more concerned about water in pipes hooked up to a city grid. Does anyone actually know what their city puts in your drinking water? You live next to a golf course in a city, pretty sure a private well is out of the question, but in your case, I would be either buying uncholonated, purified water for drinking or some other alternative.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

Thank you. A solar still is probably what I am looking for.
Thanks.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by redgy

If your roof or house has been built in the last 10-20 years its tiles should be safe enough, older tiles could contain asbestos type materials.

rainwater will last a long time even being stored in plastic 200 litre drums. the idea for a roof water collection system is to have a first flush device fitted where a certain amount of the first water is diverted away from the tank before filling begins, this gets rid of any other materials present from the roof and stops the cotaminents from entering the tank.

also to note, that in colder climates this water can freeze and or burst the tanks while outside.

I was worried about asbestos. Thanks.

Getting rid of the first water would take care of the bird poo problem. Good idea.
I have had water bottles burst in my trunk of my car. I hadn't thought about freezing outside tanks.

You have been very helpful.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
[
I have always heard that a hard boil at 10 minutes should kill pretty much everything. There are others that feel once you get to a hard boil, you are fine. I would rather wait 10 minutes, but thats just me.

Better to boil too long than not long enough.

I keep thinking about how much wood that would take to boil enough water for however many people each day.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You might wish to read this ATS thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

One good thing about boiling water I found out / learnt is that we used to use a lot of boil in the bag sort of meals... Nothing wrong with tossing those in while the water boils to dual purpose and ya' know not waste fuel. The same would be true for tins of food, rip the label off and pop a couple of holes in the lid - the water never really makes contact with the food.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
You might wish to read this ATS thread.

Hey, Thanks!! I know where to find some prickly pear cactus!!
Great find!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
reply to post by NotThat

One good thing about boiling water I found out / learnt is that we used to use a lot of boil in the bag sort of meals... Nothing wrong with tossing those in while the water boils to dual purpose and ya' know not waste fuel. The same would be true for tins of food, rip the label off and pop a couple of holes in the lid - the water never really makes contact with the food.

Good idea. Boil your water and cook the same time.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

There is a good filter there...It should fit your needs. It is a pretty good filter. I like it. Do some reading and you will see that the benefits of silver has been known for ages.

Remember, there is water in your house that will get you thru a few days. The toilet tanks and your hot water heater...just drain it out of the dump valve on the bottom and you should have 30 or so gallons of clean potable water

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Keep one of these around for emergency's
Water bob

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DucTape
Keep one of these around for emergency's
Water bob

Great! I think I'll get a couple of them!
Have you ever tried it? How well does it store after you use it and want to put it away? Would it also work in a trash can?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaferwerks

There is a good filter there...It should fit your needs. It is a pretty good filter. I like it. Do some reading and you will see that the benefits of silver has been known for ages.

Remember, there is water in your house that will get you thru a few days. The toilet tanks and your hot water heater...just drain it out of the dump valve on the bottom and you should have 30 or so gallons of clean potable water

I didn't see this thread. Thanks. Lots of good information there.
I have no idea where the dump valve is, but I am going to find out!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join