It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaurs Died from Sudden Temperature Drop 'not comet strike', Scientists Claim

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Human beings killed the dinosaurs off.

In the future when the world is so over populated that we have exhausted the meat supplies we learn the secret of time travelling and go back in time and hunt the dinosaurs out of existence!

I don't believe that for one minute, but I have read the theory, sorry no links etc.

The timeline in the OP just doesn't hold up, I think i'll stick with the comet theory for now.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I find it hard to believe that over 70 odd million years from this point of "environmental change" to the KNOWN asteroid impact that any creatures, let alone the Dinosaurs, failed to adapt. In fact, the fossil record suggest otherwise with continued evolution and diversification of the dinosaurs.

Me thinks this in a thinly veiled attempt to paint CO2 emissions as dangerous and pointing to how it can screw the world over.

I'm fine with climate change if it takes 70 million years! I am sure they could provide better examples of climate change being dangerous than this!!

To put that into perspective, humans have evolved from tree dwelling apes to the dominant species in a little under 3 million years! We could go extinct and a new intelligent animal could reach sentience, go extinct and then another animal could reach sentience and go extinct before the 70 million year period had been used up.

As for the theory postulated here about intelligent dinosaurs with cities and technology, who knows? There is more than enough time passed to have eradicated any trace of their civilisation. I bet in 65 miilion years, any intelligent creature of the future will have a very hard time proving we existed, let alone had civilisation.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Just sort of thinking here, I guess the CO2 levels were due to all of the dino poop? Figuring that they are now saying that cows make more CO2 levels in there poop then we do in our cars. Dang it that explains why the global warming effect happened years ago. Just way to much poop. It may also be the reason for our problem today, we all need to stop going poop. I wonder if a scientist can make it so we don't have to do that.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Scientists are just guessing like you and i, just that some peoples guessing is better than others, lol.

No one knows unless they build a time machine, or i could hink of something else.

At least they never had no planks of wood telling us cow farts are destroying the air, and changing the weather, lol.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Well, not really Andy. Most decent scientists do much more than just "guess". The Asteroid theory is supported by reams of geological evidence and is pretty hard to dispute. The fact that the sea temps rose or fell is also a matter of geological record, but I think these scientists have either misinterpreted the data or they themselves have been misreported.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

At least they never had no planks of wood telling us cow farts are destroying the air, and changing the weather, lol.

Now that got me laughing Andy,

[edit on 25/4/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
From the source article:

“If they were unable to migrate south they could have been wiped out. Climate change is now very much on the agenda in trying to determine how the dinosaurs became extinct.

“We now believe that they died out gradually and it is very possible that this could have been caused by a series of climatic changes.''

Translation:

"We need funding. Since everyone who finds a reason to fear carbon dioxide gets funding, maybe if we can make people believe this we will get funding too."

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It constantly amazes me, how far we have come on realistic dinosaur extinction theories in the last 30 years. When I was in school it was thought the T-Rex ate all the dinosaurs and then died out from lack of food.
IF presented in today's scientific community, that theory would be laughed off the face of the planet.

I for one am of the opinion that the comet strike wiped out most species of dinosaurs. This event may or may not have been in conjunction with large scale volcanic eruptions (such as a caldera eruption). This of course gave small mammals who were capable of escaping the blasts time to evolve. (This would also have let small dinosaurs escape as well - hence birds).

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Before the impact theory that killed off the dinosaurs, was a theory of gradual die off. This was the result of several environment changes but ocean cooling was never part of that theory. It does make since to include this.Theory held continental drift that changed climates, ocean currents would be affected now that a person would think about it.

The dinosaur tree had lost many branches before the impact which caused a disastrous climate change.

We just need a unified dinosaur die off theory.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

70 million years though? This is just to large a timescale for any climate change theory to hold any water with regards to killing off the dinosaurs.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
British researchers claim that a sudden plummeting in the sea temperature of 16F (9C) more than 137 million years ago was the first step towards their eventual road to extinction.

What is the margin of error on that 137 million years? All of this is complete drivel. Everyone knows that 137 million years ago the world was flat and the dinosaurs walked off of it and now live in the Pleiades.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
70 million years though? This is just to large a timescale for any climate change theory to hold any water with regards to killing off the dinosaurs.

Climate scientists have less credibility than used car salesmen. When people start telling me what happened to the planet in terms of millions of years and they can't even tell me what happened 5 years ago without distorting and resorting to fake science I sort of tune out.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
Climate scientists have less credibility than used car salesmen. When people start telling me what happened to the planet in terms of millions of years and they can't even tell me what happened 5 years ago without distorting and resorting to fake science I sort of tune out.

Exactly, they are just guessing, just like you and me. Thats all this is,a nd some people are better at guessing than others.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Human beings killed the dinosaurs off.

In the future when the world is so over populated that we have exhausted the meat supplies we learn the secret of time travelling and go back in time and hunt the dinosaurs out of existence!

I don't believe that for one minute, but I have read the theory, sorry no links etc.

The timeline in the OP just doesn't hold up, I think i'll stick with the comet theory for now.

That was the plot for "Flesh" a long running story in the 2000AD comic in the 70's
Flesh the graphic novel
en.wikipedia.org...(comics)

i loved that story and so wanted it to be made into a movie.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Not quite sure of the point you're trying to make. I, however, doubt this theory as they say this climate shift was 137 Million years ago, but the Dinosaurs went extinct 65 Million years ago. That is a 70 Million gap between the event and the extinction.

In 70 million years whole new species of Dinosaur evolved and died off, several times over, hence I doubt that it had any bearing whatsoever on the lives of the Dinosaurs.

As I said before, this seems to be some attempt at getting some funding because they have "evidence" that climate change causes extinction.

But you might as well say the meteor that killed off the Dinosaurs 65 Million years ago will be the reason we go extinct, it's the same timeframe we're talking about.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I totally agree. The article does not make sense. Either they are trying to spin it to try and get the whole whhels of climate change moving again, or they are just plain wrong.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Breaking news brought to you by scientists.

'nuff said!

[edit on 26/4/2010 by PuterMan]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join