It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaurs Died from Sudden Temperature Drop 'not comet strike', Scientists Claim

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Dinosaurs Died from Sudden Temperature Drop 'not comet strike', Scientists Claim

www.teleg raph.co.uk

Dinosaurs were wiped out by sudden drop in temperatures, not by comet striking the planet, scientists claimed.

British researchers claim that a sudden plummeting in the sea temperature of 16F (9C) more than 137 million years ago was the first step towards their eventual road to extinction.

the drop in temperature happened when the Earth was in a ''greenhouse'' climate, which was very similar to now.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well Well,

it seems, every year we get a different verdict as to why the dinosaurs really perished.

Now they are saying that it was not 'Comet' strike that killed them, but actually a drop in Sea temperatures.

Natural Climate change?

Are we about to encounter this cyclical change in temps again?

www.teleg raph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I thought that a "nuclear winter" scenerio was part of the repercussions to the meteor strike in the Yucatan. Interestingly enough it is my understanding that the Cretaceous climate was quite temperate and not the tropical steambath that many of the popular dino movies paint it out to be. Veggie-killing darkness, a plunge in global temperature, massive forest fires, a shockwave that circled the globe, acid rain...yeah, I think that might have been enough to kill an awful lot of species on this planet.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't know if we'll ever find out what happened to the dinosaurs. But you can't have birds, chickens and various other animals evolving from prehistoric creatures and saying they also went extinct. Which is it then?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I find that as more years pass visiting ATS I don't really trust ANYTHING from my early education!

From what I understand they can trace the date of the comet/metoerite crash due to increased Iridium in the soil planet-wide; Iridium is not a natural element that would spread like that.

Was what I learned true? No idea... seems we get fed whatever makes a difference at the time.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If this sudden drop in temperature occured around the time of the comet strike, I fail to see the problem or why the comet strike still could not be what killed the dinosaurs...

"It wasn't the heat under the pot that killed the Lobster, it was the boiling water!!!"

edit to add: disregard, I just saw the part where they said it was 137 million years ago... sigh, it's been a long day

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

According to this story, the two times are way different -

There is a considerable amount of evidence that a bolide (a comet or asteroid) collision with Earth triggered the end of the dinosaur era 65 million years ago

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Very conflicting stories, which one do you believe???

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I have a theory, it does have scientific backing.

The same evidence they came up with on the large meteor strike.

A deposit of material all over the earth is what they use as evidence.

We went through a dust cloud in space.

Makes as much sense as there theory and I did not get a 20 million grant from the gov.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
For all we know it could have been nuclear war between intelligent dinosaurs that led to sudden climate change, I doubt we'll ever know the full truth of what happened to the dinosaurs.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
wait, so dinosaurs caused global warming?
i knew it!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Well, taking in conjunction the gradual drop in ocean temperatures independant of the comet impact by some 60 million years, I honestly have to go with the latter being the powder keg with ocean temps being the fuse... albeit an extremely slow-burning one.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Who says they're extinct?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonman1111

Maybe they just went home...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed

Now they are saying that it was not 'Comet' strike that killed them, but actually a drop in Sea temperatures.

"They are saying" is not the same as "some are saying", if you read the article, it says that some scientist, some, a team of scientist, thinks it was a drop in temperatures.

It says too that they assume the dinosaurs were cool blooded, the problem is that we dont know for sure, that means that they have an hipothesis with a basis in something we dont know if is a fact.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
In the series "life after people." it shows how a mere 1000 years after we leave the plnet there is virtually no trace.

How do we know that the smartest dinosaurs didn't have banks, governments, weapons, wars and nukes?

They caused their own extinction. (My theory.)

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

Wow, thats an amazing theory!

g

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Isn't it also a common theory that volcanoes lowered global temperatures killing them off? In fact, I was taught that theory was correct growing up, at least over the asteroid/comet theory. The volcano theory makes more sense...

To whoever's silly theory Dinosaurs had very small brains, the raptors were about as smart as turkeys for example. I doubt they had banks

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
If they had banks, it's perfectly clear what killed them. Goldman Rocks and J.P. Morganstone

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Pretty sure it was the flood...

But yeah.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

thaks for posting this nonsense 'scientific' article..
the findings are either misconstyrued by the writer or the scientific report is beyond rational logic...

it says n part ~~~

"...British researchers claim that a sudden plummeting in the sea temperature of 16F (9C) more than 137 million years ago was the first step towards their eventual road to extinction..."
yeah, The extinction event of 65 million years ago ???
that makes sense, it took another 72 million years for
the dinosaurs to reach their limit of adapting to the climate change?

"...The drop in temperature is thought to have occurred because high levels of CO2 were in the atmosphere which caused global temperatures to rise and polar ice to melt – a phenomenon currently predicted for Earth. "
yeah, 137mya the CO2 was so high it caused the Earth to warm and the water temperature to drop suddenly?? because of melting polar ice??

"...Some experts believe the creatures were wiped out by one cataclysmic event 65 million years ago – such as a meteor hitting the planet.

But the new research suggests they were wiped out by a series of environmental changes, starting with a drop in sea temperatures..."
yeah, temperature drops starting 72 million years earlier, as stated earlier in article.

afterword:
Now IF, the climatic changes were extreme enough in a very short period of time ...say 12-25 years.... then i could agree that is sudden,
but a 72 million year period (137mya at onset, to-65mya extinction event) of ever cooler waters would have been a gradual enough change and the life forms like dinosaurs and small mammals would have adapted to the climate changes,
Something just does not click with either the findings or how the findings were reported in this cheesy article.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join