It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless Hero Stabbed, 25 People Don't Help

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If you think thats bad why dont you just dial 911

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by scoopkill

I could understand why people didn't call the police. If the passers by didn't know that this guy was hurt/dead, then why call the police on him and have him harassed, especially if he is not bothering you? If this guy was just a normal homeless person, passed out in the street, calling the police on him would not be helping him at all. All it would really do is get the poor guy arrested, possibly beat, fined and then jailed because he can't afford the fine. Who wants to do that to someone who is seemingly already down on his luck? If he isn't bothering you and you don't suspect that this guy is hurt, then why call the police to make more trouble for this fellow? That's even to say that nobody did call 911 but the authorities didn't take them seriously.

All of this, "why didn't anyone help" or "at least someone could have dialed 911" is assuming that the passers by knew that this guy was in imminent danger, which is a stretch assumption. Really, the only 3 guys that I could think of who undoubtedly knew that this guy was in trouble, was the victim himself, the assailant and the turkey who actually rolled him over. That turkey could have a million excuses as why not to either help or call the police. One being that he himself is breaking some type of law. Another reason could have been that he didn't want to be a suspect in the murder and have the burden of proving his innocence. Yet still the reason could be that he didn't want to be sewed if he maybe rolled the guy over in the wrong way. I'm not saying that all of these reasons are valid from my standpoint but apparently his reason was valid to himself. Depending on his excuse, I might not even blame the guy so much as the system.

The system is just itching to throw folks in jail, especially here in the US. We have one of the largest prison populations on earth, if not the largest. In fact, our prison population is bigger than all of Europe combined, by a huge margin. It's profit. Here in the US, if you are accused of a crime, it is your burden to prove yourself innocent, which not only takes a lot of time but also a whole lot of money. If you don't have the money, your screwed. Sometimes even if you do have the money and put together an excellent defense, your screwed. Either way, your screwed because there are only two outcomes. The first outcome is that you go completely broke trying to prove your innocence and you basically buy back your freedom, minus your reputation. The second outcome and usually the most likely is that you and your family go broke and you still lose your freedom, only now, your family is broke and your life is gone. I don't blame anyone from taking drastic measures to keep the finger from pointing at themselves. In such a controlled state, the safest way to survive with what little freedom you may have, is to not draw attention to yourself and never put yourself in situations to where a finger can be pointed at you.

As far as being sewed if your "help" did not meet the standards of the recipient, it's all really who finds the most slimiest attorney which also costs a fortune, no matter the outcome. For me personally, I wouldn't let the fear of getting sewed, stop me from saving somebody's life but that's only because I have a huge conscience. With that being said, I certainly don't blame others from being too weary. Of course, I'm only talking about that one turkey, as opposed to all the passers by.

For me, I don't blame the people as much as I blame the system. Instead of common law, we have all types of whacked out legislation that basically forces us to be taken advantage of by blood sucking lawyers and an ever increasingly complicated law structures. If the system wasn't so screwed up, maybe people would not be so focussed on keeping their own rear ends off the cooker and venture to help another when and if needed.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join