It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA looks to make a flying car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

DARPA looks to make a flying car

www.wlox.com

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has asked the Pentagon for additional funds to help develop the Transformer (TX) vehicle for use with military personnel in combat situations. For those unfamiliar with DARPA, it is an office in the Department of Defense that is responsible for attempting to create pretty much everything you have ever seen in a sci-fi movie that has some military applications. Artificial Intelligence, cyborg limbs and laser guns are all listed in its 2011 budget. Seriously.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
"The Transformer TX would be designed to carry four troops with full gear, and have a range of 250 miles on a single tank of fuel. It is being designed with combat in hostile terrains in mind -- especially places where roadside IED mines have become a real threat.

"TX will enable enhanced company operations of future missions with applicable use in strike and raid, intervention, interdiction, insurgency/counterinsurgency, reconnaissance, medical evacuation and logistical supply," the official solicitation stated."

I wonder if they will have a thirst for Energon?

More Wasted Tax Dollars if you ask me.

www.wlox.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN
More Wasted Tax Dollars if you ask me.

I don't see how - if any one can do it, it would be DAARPA... And arn't they kicking this off with one of their competitions?? That's a very cost effective way of getting all sorts of out of the box ideas into a prototype form.

And then there is the fact that flying cars will be kick ass awesome! - But with something like this there are so many technology's that could be transferred to other applications, and once you have cracked a decent model you simply licence out the manufacture of them to a big company, just say Toyota, and bingo the bucks start rolling in.

Seems like a very good use for tax money actually, well compared to bailing out banks and stuff like that.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Cannot see how flying cars would be practical. In the real world, just imagine what a unstable thing they would be on society. There would be chaos in the skies, unless computers drove them.

I cannot see flying cars for along time to come.

Now computers driving our cars, yep thats practical, but not flying cars.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
want to buy one asap. in the past century, they told me this would be jammed with flying cars, and still not one in sight (exept ugly things with props and folded wings)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Don't worry most people won't be able to afford them.

It will be like owning a helicopter.

new topics

top topics

join