It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Finger Taps Our Galaxy's Shoulder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hi all,

I came across this article and was amazed that this isn't in the main stream news channels.

As if reaching out with a come-hither motion, a giant gas finger emanating from two neighboring galaxies has hooked into the starry disk of the Milky Way.

This extremity of hydrogen gas is actually the pointy end of the so-called Leading Arm of gas that streams ahead of two irregular galaxies called the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds. The fate of these nearby galaxies, which are impacted by the Milky Way's gravity, has been somewhat of a mystery. The new finger findings suggest that the Magellanic Clouds will eventually merge with the Milky Way rather than zooming past.

Located about 160,000 light-years from Earth, the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) is only one-twentieth the diameter of our galaxy and contains one-tenth as many stars. The Small Magellanic Cloud resides 200,000 light-years from Earth and is about 100 times smaller than the Milky Way.

"We're thrilled because we can determine exactly where this gas is plowing into the Milky Way," said research team leader Naomi McClure-Griffiths of CSIRO's Australia Telescope National Facility. Called HVC306-2+230, the gas finger is gouging into our galaxy's starry disk about 70,000 light-years away from Earth. In the night sky, the contact point would be nearest the Southern Cross.

Source - Cosmic Finger Taps Our Galaxy's Shoulder

This is occurring 70'000 light years away from earth so I don't expect this to have any direct influence over events today, but I wonder exactly what this means for the Galaxy's future, and does this add any weight (pun intended) to the dark matter theory?

Peace Out,

Korg.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Very nice info !

I'm always wondering where they have found the nerve to present it with a picture and all to see.

I mean, We have not even left our own solarsystem yet.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
galaxies constantly eat eachother, soon enough we will collide with andromeda.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
galaxies constantly eat each other, soon enough we will collide with andromeda.

That is estimated to occur in 4.5 billion years...

The Magellanic Clouds collision with the milky way is already beginning to happen...

Surely this is going to have some repercussions for the milky way, right?? Although its not as disastrous as the andromeda / milky way collision it surely will be a stunner.

Here is a simulation of the andromeda / milky way collision...

As I said the current Magellan collision won't be as devistating as the simulation above but it may be enough to fling a far few stars around in very odd directions.

Peace out,

korg.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I've just found a very worrying simulation of the collision..

you can view it here.... Milky Way absorbing the Magellanic Clouds

This to me looks like we on the course for some kind of iteration as we are on the outer edge of the Orion arm...

This is the large Magellan cloud....

you can view it in more detail CLICK HERE - ZOOM-ABLE

Does this look worrying to anyone else, or am I being dramatic?

Korg.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The space between the stars is so fast that the two galaxies arn't even colliding anything untill the reach the galaxies center. Where there are way many more stars then in our neighborhood.

Relax.

You will not get hurt.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
The space between the stars is so fast that the two galaxies arn't even colliding anything untill the reach the galaxies center. Where there are way many more stars then in our neighborhood.

Relax.

You will not get hurt.

I'm not worried that a star will collide with us, more interested in what the effect in resulting additional mass will have on the local arm.

Seems to come right into the galaxy at roughly the right latitude for us to be directly involved.

all the best,

Korg.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Ohhh.

Well... it was this line that made me think you were possibly a little worried.

Does this look worrying to anyone else, or am I being dramatic?

Anyway.
I definitely share your curiosity and if it was up to me we would experience the event personaly.

I don't think the effect will be anything we would expect.
I understand that the stars circle the galaxy center. The arms however do not or do not follow the exact same route and / or speed.
The stars are moving from arm to arm. This is why there are stars on a independent journey and stars that cluster together.

Star forming is mostly taking place in the arms. Scientists believe this is because the arms exist out of gas and dust. Possibly hold together by dark matter. When the stars move through them their gravity and solar wind / radiation will cause the gas and dust to collapse in on itself which would eventualy lead to the formation of new stars / star clusters.

This process is currently observed within interstellar nurseries like The Horseshoe nebula , The Carinae Nebula and The Eagle Nebula and so on.

I would guess that a collision with another galaxy will have the same effects as this only on a far massive scale

This proces would cause a very real danger of new stars that will form and stars that will die young do to their immense mass will cause major explosions and bursts of radiation what can cause us harm.

The time scale of these events and processes would never the less be incomprehensible by human standards.

We are in fact lucky we experience all we do right now.

We live in an exciting time.

[edit on 4/24/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I definitely share your curiosity and if it was up to me we would experience the event personaly.

It's this unknown element that does indeed worry me. I didn't mean worried about stars colliding but an event dealing with a subject we don't fully understand (Dark Mater)

We don't yet understand what dark matter is though of course we suspect it permeates through normal matter and beyond.

I suspect dark matter may vindicate Quantum loop gravity, dark matter being densely twisted space-time. The surface area of space time being far greater than in normal (if you can call it normal) Space-time.

So if we could detect or extrapolate the size and density of the dark matter within the magellan clouds, we may be able to create a simulation of how this effects us.

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
wouldnt worry too much, we are billions of years away from colliding with any other galaxies so if humans are still around at that time id imagine we'd be advanced enough to "up and leave" whenever things in the milky way get a little rough

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo
wouldnt worry too much, we are billions of years away from colliding with any other galaxies

This event is happening now. not billions of years in the future.

2nd line.

korg.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

uhhhh... i know i'm out of my element, but someone explain to me how this isn't cataclysmic?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

wouldnt worry too much, we are billions of years away from colliding with any other galaxies

This event is happening now. not billions of years in the future.

2nd line.

korg.

no it isnt

2nd line

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

no it isnt

2nd line

Read the article... yes it is.

Here is more info on this event...

Milky Way Already Colliding with Magellanic Clouds!

Astronomers from CSIRO have recently discovered, with the help of radio telescopes at Parkes and Narrabri, that gas coming from the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds is penetrating through the material disk of the Milky Way right over to the other side. Such gas flow observations may eventually provide data that would reveal the ultimate fate of the little galaxies, in the near vicinity of our Milky Way.

The leak of matter was dubbed HVC306-2+230 and is spanning all the way from the Magellanic cloud to the material disk of our galaxy, piercing it in a location about 70 thousands light-years away, near the Souther Cross.

According to CSIRO astronomer Dr. Naomi McClure-Griffiths, from the Australia Telescope National Facility, such a discovery represents an important find for the astronomical community, especially while taking into consideration the fact that gas features are very hard to spot from great distances.

Sorry for the off topicness of the following vid but Silicis n Volvo's response reminded me of this sketch...

Peace Out,

Korg

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

[This is occurring 70'000 light years away from earth so I don't expect this to have any direct influence over events today, but I wonder exactly what this means for the Galaxy's future, and does this add any weight (pun intended) to the dark matter theory? ]

hmm round 70.000 years ago toba erupted... any connection with it...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

It's this unknown element that does indeed worry me. I didn't mean worried about stars colliding but an event dealing with a subject we don't fully understand (Dark Mater)

We don't yet understand what dark matter is though of course we suspect it permeates through normal matter and beyond.

I suspect dark matter may vindicate Quantum loop gravity, dark matter being densely twisted space-time. The surface area of space time being far greater than in normal (if you can call it normal) Space-time.

So if we could detect or extrapolate the size and density of the dark matter within the magellan clouds, we may be able to create a simulation of how this effects us.

All the best,

Korg.

I would not worry about Dark Matter. I am fairly certain dark matter and energy are just normal gravities propogation through time. We cannot measure it yet becaus we are only thinking in the moment.

Unlike our experience of time. Gravity does not move from one instance of time to the next. Instead it is part of space time in which its effects linger and effect the present as we (matter moves through space time).

Think of the surface of water as the center being now and the outer edeges being the past and future. Now drop a marble in the center and watch the waves move through time.

Just as the waves continue to effect the entire body of water so does gravity effect the local mass.

We moved through some part of space just now but earths gravity created a moment ago is still efeecting the local mass as well as the current gravity being made in this instant.

Gravity does disipate but not instantly. This also explains why science thinks gravity is weak. It is not. Gravity is strong but it exists smeared across time rather than in our instant.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
God sure is a great artist huh?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

I would not worry about Dark Matter. I am fairly certain dark matter and energy are just normal gravities propogation through time. We cannot measure it yet becaus we are only thinking in the moment.

I'm confused by this statement.

according to Quantum Loop Gravity, mass is a consequence of how densely space-time is twisted at the quantum level.

In other words, gravity is created by a greater surface area of space-time which creates the effect of gravity.

It's why I do and have always maintained that the LHC won't find the Higgs.

I am very interested in how this additional dark matter will effect our galaxy? Does this mean that the galaxy could sustain more stars?? defiantly. so does this mean a sudden explosion of solar nurseries in our galaxy... defiantly

But what exactly happens when the additional mass is added to the galaxy? will it flatten out more? will it upset Sagittarius A and cause it to start eating again?? What effect does it have on stars life span?

Etc etc etc...

Peace Out,

Korg.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Truthfully, I am not worried at all. I figure by the time it even gets close enough to maybe collide, I will have been dead for hundreds or even thousands of years. Why freaken worry about something that will happen after we are all dead, and even our kids and grand kids are dead? Think you may still feel it after your dead or what?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pmbhuntress
Truthfully, I am not worried at all. I figure by the time it even gets close enough to maybe collide, I will have been dead for hundreds or even thousands of years. Why freaken worry about something that will happen after we are all dead, and even our kids and grand kids are dead? Think you may still feel it after your dead or what?

I guess its because I have always wanted to think of humanity overcombing such triffle things as our sun going super nova, or being able to deflect an xray jet from a quasar etc...

In addition it may be counter intuitive but something happening 70,000 light years away does not mean that it would take 70,000 years to affect our location within the galaxy.

This absorption of additional mass could affect for example how the dark matter is distributed through out the galaxy.

yes this isn't going to affect our or a childrens childrens life, but this known unknown has the potential to not just be a ELE on earth but could affect our locality with a radius of thousands of light years.

any would be colonization Humans would do in the future may have to take this into account... it may mean that even if we gain the technology to travel and colonize other worlds we the human race could get wiped out by the exact same event that would whack earth...

I'm not saying that this is going to wipe us out in our future, just it is an unknown that has this potential.

Peace Out,

Korg.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join