It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona did the right thing!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
am sure it has been said before..
No it is not.
You have to be a legal citizen before you have rights granted by the Constitution.

And you refuse to listen to the arguments at hand here. Illegal immigrants will not be the only ones affected by this law! We are talking about American born citizens or legal citizens who would be harassed day and out by law enforcement having to constantly prove their citizenship rights everwhere they go. What kind of a country do we live in where fellow americans have to carry birth certificates because they are hispanic? And im sorry dont BS like the rest here, hispanics WILL be the ones targeted here.

LISTEN to the arguments. This is NOT about the rights of illegals.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I haven't been on ATS in quite a long time. I needed a break from the insanity that is our world. I recently started trolling again last week and this is my first post. I just need to say that I am absolutely flabbergasted at how many ATS'ers have reacted to Arizona's new law.

Perfectly legal citizens are now going to be required to show their ID to law enforcement at any time they are asked to. This goes against everything we stand for. Regardless of whether this law is meant to target illegals, the fact remains that citizens who are here legally and may even have been born here, will also be required to show ID when asked to.

A police officer cannot ask for identification unless you are reasonably suspected of committing a crime. Looking foreign is not a sufficient reason to accuse someone of being here illegally and then require them to prove their innocence. Innocent until proven guilty.

It is the accusers responsibility to prove guilt. This law completely flips this concept on its head. Essentially, it is saying to the accused, "I think you're here illegally and now I want you to prove to me that you aren't, if you can't do this, I will take you to jail and charge you with a crime". This is not how our justice system works.

It is not a law to carry ID in America and the only time we are required to show it is to show that we meet the requirements for certain privileges such as driving, buying alcohol/cigarettes, owning firearms and of course in situations to prove you are who you are, but you are not required to show the proof. Of course, if you want money out of your bank account, your going to show it.

The argument of whether the constitution applies to illegals or not is neither here nor there for the fact that law enforcement will inevitably be asking natural born or documented citizens for their identification because they don't "look" American or have the "proper" accent.

With all this said, I will be much less bothered by this law if it uses strong language that makes it absolutely clear that there must be sufficient evidence for an individual suspected of being here illegally other than the fact that they speak a different language or look foreign.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join