It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle cartoonist: May 22 is ‘Everybody Draw Mohammed Day’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheol

Exactly, you CAN post that, and nobody has the right to drag you out and shoot you for it. Or even to threaten to do so.

Matt and Trey jokes about everybody, I can remember (in no particular order) jokes about
KKK, neo-Nazis, Jews, Christians, Mormons, the pope, catholic priests, the Police, the FBI, Terrorists, Big-Tobacco, PETA, Walmart, Mascots, Pandas, Cattle, Hooters,
Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden, Kim Jong Il, Obama, Bush, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Tiger Woods, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Charlie Manson, Paris Hilton, Oprah, Brittany Spears, Aliens, Jesus, Buddha, Joseph Smith, Krishna, God and Santa Claus.

Just to name a few.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie

everyone is just happy not making fun of muhammed, so why do it?

let it go

Why do it? Because the idea that there should be no pictures of Mohammad is a Muslim thing. Let Muslims follow that prohibition. Let them draw and display no pictures. However, they do not have the right to tell the rest of the world what to do. The prohibition doesnt apply to non Muslims.

The attitude that, "It makes the extremists mad and dangerous when we do this, so we should just do what they want," is a dangerous one. That line of reasoning is WHY religious extremists escalate, and sometimes overrun more moderate members of a religion.

I would (and do) feel the same way when the extremists are Christian and Americans.

Muslims have every right not to create or display images of Muhammad. What they dont have the right to do is impose that prohibition on non-Muslims.

The people who think that we should voluntarily accept their religious restrictions despite our own beliefs simply because they are threatening people, or committing acts of violence, or any other form of throwing a hissy fit are in my opinion part of the problem. You are not being a good steward of peace and freedom if you enable and reward those who use violence and illegal force to make others bend to their will and their religious beliefs. You are paving the way for violent oppressive theocracy.

We should be willing to fight those who believe religion should be imposed against free will. We shouldnt be so worried what a few extremists will do to us that we stand by and do nothing and allow that few extremists to force the majority to support their extremist position as has happened in Afghanistan and other places where Muslim extremists have been allowed to set the tone for the whole of society.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is terrible news,come on people clearly you must be able to see this is an overreaction.All they ask is that you respect there beliefs and as far as threatening goes im sure they stated that there statements were not threats.Has anyone been charged with threatening behaviour?and freespeech.......
seems alot of you want freespeech but just for yourselves,Everyone has the right to freespeech whether you like there opinion or not.

Treat others how You wish to be treated.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mimer
reply to post by Sheol

Exactly, you CAN post that, and nobody has the right to drag you out and shoot you for it. Or even to threaten to do so.Just to name a few.

Actually, that's not true. I cannot post that you know why? I was just surfing around in other threads and some user may have used an avatar which may have depicted nazi uniform and here are the views of people:

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

What's with the Nazi uniform?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by boondock-saint

violator is correct your helmet is also German military issue during the 3rd Reich

Originally posted by dgtempe

Aha! A Nazi sympathizer!!!

The user ultimately may have been embarrassed by constant commenting and changed her/his avatar, the current avatar is a cartoon. That is why I posted that drawing. Before someone goes out against censorship and right to free speech it should be equally applied to all that is my point. I am all for free speech and equality but not for only 1 certain group, but for all.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

everyone is just happy not making fun of muhammed, so why do it?

let it go

Why do it? Because the idea that there should be no pictures of Mohammad is a Muslim thing. Let Muslims follow that prohibition. Let them draw and display no pictures. However, they do not have the right to tell the rest of the world what to do. The prohibition doesnt apply to non Muslims.

The attitude that, "It makes the extremists mad and dangerous when we do this, so we should just do what they want," is a dangerous one. That line of reasoning is WHY religious extremists escalate, and sometimes overrun more moderate members of a religion.

I would (and do) feel the same way when the extremists are Christian and Americans.

Muslims have every right not to create or display images of Muhammad. What they dont have the right to do is impose that prohibition on non-Muslims.

The people who think that we should voluntarily accept their religious restrictions despite our own beliefs simply because they are threatening people, or committing acts of violence, or any other form of throwing a hissy fit are in my opinion part of the problem. You are not being a good steward of peace and freedom if you enable and reward those who use violence and illegal force to make others bend to their will and their religious beliefs. You are paving the way for violent oppressive theocracy.

We should be willing to fight those who believe religion should be imposed against free will. We shouldnt be so worried what a few extremists will do to us that we stand by and do nothing and allow that few extremists to force the majority to support their extremist position as has happened in Afghanistan and other places where Muslim extremists have been allowed to set the tone for the whole of society.

I think me and you view this differently.Its the millions of muslims worldwide who hear of this that concerns me,they are not just mocking the site they are mocking the whole of islam and for alot of the faithful it will be heavy on there hearts,ofcourse the "extremists" are pushing they always will,that doesnt mean or even give us the right to punish all of islam.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by YehudasTheEnabler]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by YehudasTheEnabler

I think me and you view this differently.Its the millions of muslims worldwide who hear of this that concerns me,they are not just mocking the site they are mocking the whole of islam and for alot of the faithful it will be heavy on there hearts,ofcourse the "extremists" are pushing they always will,that doesnt mean we should punish all of islam.

You know, there are lots of pagans, polytheists, atheists, Mormons, and Christians, whose hearts are heavy too, because various peoples in various places do not follow their religious prescriptions, and make fun of their beliefs. Most people who have some belief system at some point in their lives have heavy hearts because others do not share their beliefs. They survive it, and go on. Most of them do not then threaten or use violence to force others to follow their beliefs so their hearts are never heavy.

Most Muslims are not idiot children, who are too unintelligent or immature to understand that their religious beliefs and restrictions do not reasonably apply to all other peoples on the globe. I have more faith in most Muslims. I think most Muslims can do the same thing many Catholics do when the Pope is mocked or priests are mocked, mutter some prayers and move on.

No one is "punishing" all of Islam because a group of artists are sending a message to Muslim extremists that their threats of violence will not bring the intended response. And quite frankly, if most Muslims were more willing to stand up to the extremists in their midst, it would likely not come to this. If the religion itself is so intolerant of freedom that ALL Muslims expect people of all other faiths to follow the dictates of their religion, then perhaps Islam is a meme that itself cannot be tolerated.

I personally think many Muslims can simply disapprove of the behavior of others and go about their business like normal human beings. It is part of life in a world where freedom and difference are tolerated that you may be offended some of the time. I am offended some of the time myself. Thats the price of freedom. And freedom is worth defending.

And as for treating others as I would like to be treated, I am.

If I ever use the threat of violence to force others to behave the way my religious beliefs dictate one should behave, despite their own free will and beliefs, I hope someone will step up and refuse to let me terrorize others.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm in!!! I'm thinking about drawing a picture of Mohammed on the bottom of my shoe....I heard Muslims have some kind of shoe fetish, so they should enjoy that also!

This "Everybody draw Mohammed Day" could be bigger than "Earth Day"!!!

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Not a good idea.

People are constantly trying to provoke one another into some really infantile tactics. If something happens as a result of something this juvenile, then who are we to blame?

1. The extremists??? Haven't they've specifically stated that they don't want their prophet depicted in an unfavorable light? Haven't we crapped on their whole way of life long enough? Now we want to add fuel to the fire when our silly country is nearly bankrupt because of corruption and stupidity?

Or

2. The dip(snips) who thought this idea would be a good one in the first place?

Keep pushing people's buttons, one day they'll react exactly as you would expect and it might have a direct impact on YOU.

Much love to all...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Screw anyone who DARES says i cannot say or express WHATEVER i feel.

This is America, it's ok to make fun of jesus and anyone else except Muhammad? rofl no thanks. Freedom of speech extends to everyone and everything as it does with these #heads threatening US citizens from NEW YORK!!!!!! It doesn't matter what your god is or who you choose to place any form of worship in, as long as this is America WE HAVE A RIGHT to say it/draw it/write it or anything else we choose to do. Anyone who tells you otherwise is imposing on YOUR RIGHTS as a US citizen this is exactly what our forefathers gave their lives for, to defend our right to say WHATEVER we deem we must.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This would be a good idea for the next MAD magazine cover.

Question:
If someone created a small figure of Mohammed and placed it in a jar of urine, would it also be considered art?

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Alxandro]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

reply to post by hippomchippo

why didnt the muslims protest when south park drew muhammed in 2004?

becuase they didnt offend him in any way, it was a character

why did the muslims protest becuase of the drawings by the danish cartoonist?

becuase he drew muhammed with a bomb on his head.

theres a certain line you shouldnt cross, its called the sh** line, if you cross it you're asking to be covered in sh**!!

But the cartoon of Muhammad with the bomb on his head was depicting how radical Islam was making the whole of Islam look to the stereotypers and how radical Islam looked to everyone else.

BTW I still haven't found anything that says one will get virgins for anything in the Koran.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I know this may be a dumb question, but I would really appreciate an answer.....but if there are not suppose to be any depictions of mohammond, then how does any one know what he looks like. For once I'm not trying to be funny and I think that this is a good question to ask any one who his complaining about his picture being shown...because how do they know what he looks like. I also have know idea what he looks like....other than a bear

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

but that was just 1 cartoon, imagine about a million!

drive em all over the edge, i say!

end this whole mess. water finds it's own level and this can go on forever till the west looses all that it stands for.

they live in there own world and i am not going to be imported there. they are in my world and will have to GET OVER IT!

29,000 against 1 person. let's even up the playing field.

great idea, non confrontation is submission, imo.

just say, so what, it's a cartoon. welcome to the 21st century and freedom of speech. we still love ya.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

We draw what we want because we can! If your country could form two brain cells together to come up with original thoughts we wouldn't have to save you all the time. I can and will draw a picture of Muhammad having butt sex with porky pig if I want. That's my right! If it offends you, you are an idiot. End of story troll boy.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
South Park got it's publicity. This is just childish crap from immature minds.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
removed for posting without brain engaged

[edit on 4/25/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

in a word

yes

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I love this idea. I'm going to come up with the most offensive depiction of him as I can.
Perhaps he'd look good wearing a tube top and Daisy Dukes while wolfing down a huge plate of bacon, lol!!

I know, I know this is just an excuse for people to openly display their bigotry for Islam, but it's cool. I hate all religions equally so I don't really care, lol.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

The problem with all this is, it will be attacking the innocent majority of Muslims as well as the radicals. That makes it childish and immature on its face. Not to mention mean to innocent people.

Yes, we have the right, but then we have the right to shave our butts and glue the hair to our noses which would show about the same level of maturity.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join