It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the bible teach about Michael the Archangel.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I have been wanting to do a dedicated thread on this topic for a long time.
It has been discussed before in other threads, but this is really going to get more detailed with all the bible verses that apply.
We all know what standard church theology teaches on this topic, but more importantly what does the bible teach on this topic.

The first point to consider is that many people have more than one name. Many people
have first, middle and last names. Those names also go with titles, when they have important positions of power as well. Their titles can even change and be interchangeable.
An example of that is
Dwight Eisenhower

The custom of being called by more than one name is common in many cultures. The same situation occurs with names in the Bible. For example, the patriarch Jacob is also named Israel(Genesis 35:10) The Apostle Peter is named in five different ways-Symeon, Simon, Peter, Cephas, and Simon Peter (Matthew 10:2; 16:16; John 1:42; Acts 15:7,14)

The Bible contains five references to the mighty spirit creature Michael. Three occurrences are in the book of Daniel. At Daniel 10: 13, 21 we read that a dispatched angel is rescued by Michael.
Geneva Study Bible

13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, [i] Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

Footnote

(i) Even though God could by one angel destroy all the world, yet to assure his children of his love he sends forth double power, even Michael, that is, Christ Jesus the head of angels.

"However, I will tell you what is inscribed in the writing of truth. Yet there is no one who stands firmly with me against these forces except Michael your prince.

Next at Daniel 12:1, we learn that in the end times Michael will act again.

AND AT that time [of the end] Michael shall arise, the great [angelic] prince who defends and has charge of your [Daniel's] people. And there shall be a time of trouble, straitness, and distress such as never was since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the Book [of God's plan for His own]

Later in the book of Revelation Michael is mentioned again
12:7

7Then war broke out in heaven; Michael and his angels went forth to battle with the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought.

Of note is that in these scriptures Michael is portrayed as a warrior angel battling for and protecting those trying to serve God, even confronting God`s greatest enemy. Satan.

Lastly Jude 9 mentions Michael

When the archangel Michael argued with the devil, they were arguing over the body of Moses. But Michael didn't dare to hand down a judgment against the devil. Instead, Michael said, "May the Lord reprimand you!"

So that`s the five scriptures where Michael is named, and there is no dispute that he is an Archangel. Michael, is the archangel. Nowhere in Scripture is the plural used, "archangels"; but only ONE, "archangel."

One other scripture that cannot be forgotten because it doesn't mention Michael by name but it does talk about the Archangel. 1 Thessalonians 4:16

16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud cry of summons, with the shout of an archangel, and with the blast of the trumpet of God. And those who have departed this life in Christ will rise first.

The shout of an archangel by the Lord Jesus ties it all together, Michael`s name even means Who is like God. Jesus is Michael. Michael is the name of the being that existed before he came to earth only then did he begin to be known as Jesus.

As we talked about at the beginning people have multiple names and titles.
Jesus Christ is no exception, he obviously has multiple names and titles, even Messiah and Christ are titles, and we know Jesus name is different in Hebrew too.

Conclusion:
Michael the archangel is Jesus Christ in his pre-human existence. After his resurrection and return to heaven, Jesus resumed his service as Micheal, the chief angel.

As for what this realization does to the Trinity dogma, I leave that to another thread.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

In support of all this, I can add that the Revelations ch7 "battle in heaven" is, in my opinion, a dramatised version of the doctrine of the Atonement, as the immediate sequel makes clear.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Michael is the son that is prepared to become glorified.
It means the head, the prophets together, they are the (head) of the sons,
together with them all humans who become son.

Michael is the fighter that changes attack into defense.
An angel is a state...the state of repenting (=reflecting, becoming truth=God) releases choice,
it is the state of no choice or slave, servant.
This servant is the son.
Releasing choice and acting in the best you can,
makes you a son of God = Truth.

Battle in heaven is a mental fight in your head,
angels means both messenger and servant,
it cannot fight where it doesnt have a function,
the function is in your head where it can attack
the lies, to defend truth (God), and by doing
this it erases choice, and gives you cross,
which is one cross for humanity.

God takes all the sins, sin is negative, is lie,
repenting is only possible, if you reflect