It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you feel when you are forced to do something against your will?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
One of the many plights in life is when you are ordered to do something you don't agree with, but have to agree because the person doing the ordering is higher up on the hierarchy or society. If you don't comply, you are persecuted, or forced to do what you were ordered to do by 'law' or even physically. How do you feel when this happens?

For me, during lunch at school many times, i might find a quiet place outside to meditate and listen to music. It helps calm me from all the negativity i experience throughout the day. Many times, teachers have come up and told me to put away the ipod. At first i angrily complied with resentment. Then one time i asked 'why?'. The teacher snapped 'Because its the rule!!!!'.
I replied: 'well what is the rule for?'
She said 'I SAID PUT IT AWAY NOW! It's not for school!!!'.
Me: 'Why not?'.
Her: 'STOP ARGUING WITH ME!!!".
Me: 'I'm not, i'm simply trying to figure out your logic'
Her: 'i'm enforcing the rule'
Me: Well why is the rule in place?
Her: Its a disruption and not for school
Me: I don't believe i was being disruptive. I was quietly relaxing.
Her: ITS AGAINST THE RULES AND DISRUPTIVE TO OTHER PEOPLE
She marches me down to the principals office, they ask me to turn over my ipod, i say no, and am written up, given 5 detentions & saturday school

Things like this happen to me all the time. I am not trying to be disrespectful, just logic with them. 'This doesnt make sense, lets make sense of it'. I don't follow something i don't agree with. if people make me follow it, they are disrespecting my right to free will, and infringing their beliefs on me. It's not that i disrespect authority, people have to earn my respect. Respect is earned, not given.

I had a huge fallout with my parents and now under threat of eternal ground-nation, i have to bow to authority. I hate the feeling when someone tells me what to do and i am forced to do it. It's a mixed feeling of anger, resentment, sadness, helplessness, and fury. I've come so close to just blowing up in the face of many authority figures, but then i would be hurting the person, and its not them who i dislike, its the system that i hate with every atom in my body.

My motto is 'live and let live'. Let me live my life my own way, be who i came here to be, and i'll do the same to you.

BOY, that was a good long rant. I dont know about you guys, but most of my conflict in my life has to do with authority.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I "failed" at my last work intership for rebelling at my boss orders.

But I've learnt from my mistakes and undrestand it's necessary "to adjust" to the structure. Without losing your identity.

I also think it depends on the way the order is requested.
The Who, what and WHY-.

So, yeah, I used to be much more rebellious.

Nowadays I don't really have a problem with authority or rules. But of course I never follow anything or anyone blindly. Questioning is the key- but wisely.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Tis a fine thing to question authority, but choose your battles wisely.
Disagreeing is one thing, acting out against is another.
Your thoughts are your freedom, and nobody can take those from you.

new topics

join