It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.2 Hits Crete

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Date-Time

* Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 15:01:09 UTC
* Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 06:01:09 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 34.351°N, 26.055°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region CRETE, GREECE
Distances 135 km (85 miles) SE of Iraklion, Crete, Greece
225 km (140 miles) SE of Chania, Crete, Greece
305 km (190 miles) SW of Rodos, Dodecanese Islands, Greece
455 km (280 miles) SSE of ATHENS, Greece
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 7.4 km (4.6 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=167, Nph=168, Dmin=557.7 km, Rmss=0.66 sec, Gp= 54°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Just for info!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Good times. I'm just waiting for people to say "hey maybe this is not a coincidence"

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
What's so special about it? There are always lots of small and moderate earthquakes every year in Greece.
And 5.2 is nothing special, right? At least i read somewhere that every year there are around 800 earthquakes in the range between 5.0 and 5.9

Will there be now a topic for every stupid earthquake? Fear-mongering is the new ATS Hype?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
What's so special about it? There are always lots of small and moderate earthquakes every year in Greece.
And 5.2 is nothing special, right? At least i read somewhere that every year there are around 800 earthquakes in the range between 5.0 and 5.9

Will there be now a topic for every stupid earthquake? Fear-mongering is the new ATS Hype?

The biggest quake we have had "United states michigan" was a 4.2 as I recall. Were not use to something as big as a 5.0. Maybe EQ's are not increasing, but they are increasing within populated areas. Example, china, chile, florida, etc etc

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

I agree, nothing big or out of the ordinary. I posted this in the Quake Watch Thread as well.. same info though.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Geomagnetic activity past 3 day's influence chart:-

NOAA

I am not in the prediction biz. The financial crisis hit Iceland, then Greece. Ireland and Portugal are known to be in trouble as well. These few countries impacted the World with their woes the most than compared to other countries.

Eath changes seem to be following a similar pattern. Begining with Volcano in Iceland, now quake in Crete, nearby Greece. Next Ireland and Portugal?

This is not meant to put fear, but only preparedness so as to avoid loss of precious lives. Mankind gotten through Iceland with level headedness and courage, so too will we with whatever that comes, so long as we don't lose such characteristics.

Good Luck.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
The biggest quake we have had "United states michigan" was a 4.2 as I recall. Were not use to something as big as a 5.0. Maybe EQ's are not increasing, but they are increasing within populated areas. Example, china, chile, florida, etc etc

I never experienced a earthquake. Germany only gets really small ones under 2.0, you don't feel them and i'd say as long as countries like Germany don't get hit by really strong earthquakes i wouldn't worry or thinking that something's going on with the planet.

Look what countries had quakes and you'll see that it is perfectly normal for them to have quakes and even strong ones. Chile is the perfect example. Two of the strongest earthquakes ever happened there (in 1868 and 1960, which as far as i know was the strongest earthquake ever with 9.5) and all the other countries or places like japan, california, alaska, japan have quakes all the time.

And of course more of them happen in populated areas, the planet gets more and more populated every day. The sad fact is, that nobody helps the poor countries like Haiti to build buildings that are somewhat earthquake save and could prevent casualties.

I think we are just in a cycles of increased earth activity, it will be over some day.

top topics

join