It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican to fund adult stem cell research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Vatican to fund adult stem cell research

www.upi.com

BALTIMORE, April 23 (UPI) -- A $3 million grant from the Vatican is to fund adult stem cell research for intestinal disorders, a coalition of U.S. and international scientists said.

Roman Catholic dioceses in Australia and South Korea have funded adult stem cell research, but it is believed to be the first time the Vatican itself has sponsored such research, The Baltimore Daily Record reported Friday.

Scientists from Italy and the University of Maryland are to study intestinal adult stem cells with an eye toward helping patients with disorders such as celiac disease, said Alessio Fasano,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I guess the Vatican is finally embracing science......?
but really I guess they are looking to prevent fetal stem cell research as much as possible.

I noticed that this hadn't been posted yet- maybe that's because stem cell research is so 20th century, but i found this interesting. it always make one wonder what is really possible in the world of medicine, even today.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Eh, all that biological material of dead fetal tissue should be used for research. So vatican doesn't like fetal cell research but instead believe that the fetus should be thrown in a bio-garbage or wherever the material goes. hmmm... I think we should use it for medical research. I don't believe we should be aborting babies just to use the stem cell. but i don't think thats what people want to do

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
Eh, all that biological material of dead fetal tissue should be used for research. So vatican doesn't like fetal cell research but instead believe that the fetus should be thrown in a bio-garbage or wherever the material goes. hmmm... I think we should use it for medical research. I don't believe we should be aborting babies just to use the stem cell. but i don't think thats what people want to do

in the UK aborted fetuses are buried or burned, depending on the mother's wishes. but i guess a lot do go to medical waste.
wiki.answers.com...
I am shocked that it isnt used for research.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Abortions will happen even if they are outlawed. By doing so will create unsafe practices of the technique. Coat-hanger

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It makes sense to promote adult stem cell research, research into fetal stem cells has resulted in nothing but a huge waste of money.

Bioethics: Five years after a budget-busting $3 billion was allocated to embryonic stem cell research, there have been no cures, no therapies and little progress. So supporters are embracing research they once opposed.

California's Proposition 71 was intended to create a $3 billion West Coast counterpart to the National Institutes of Health, empowered to go where the NIH could not — either because of federal policy or funding restraints on biomedical research centered on human embryonic stem cells.

Supporters of the California Stem Cell Research and Cures Initiative, passed in 2004, held out hopes of imminent medical miracles that were being held up only by President Bush's policy of not allowing federal funding of embryonic stem cell research (ESCR) beyond existing stem cell lines and which involved the destruction of embryos created for that purpose.

Five years later, ESCR has failed to deliver and backers of Prop 71 are admitting failure. The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, the state agency created to, as some have put it, restore science to its rightful place, is diverting funds from ESCR to research that has produced actual therapies and treatments: adult stem cell research. It not only has treated real people with real results; it also does not come with the moral baggage ESCR does.

To us, this is a classic bait-and-switch, an attempt to snatch success from the jaws of failure and take credit for discoveries and advances achieved by research Prop. 71 supporters once cavalierly dismissed. We have noted how over the years that when funding was needed, the phrase "embryonic stem cells" was used. When actual progress was discussed, the word "embryonic" was dropped because ESCR never got out of the lab.

Investors Business Daily

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

i'm not even going to make a snide remark about the church; this is just cool.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The vatican has to do something to turn the publicity away from their pedophile ridden organization.This is damage control.So what?they are funding research,big deal! The only big deal is they dont usually give away that sort of money!!! Hit em up now while they have their vault open!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceblue20-12
The vatican has to do something to turn the publicity away from their pedophile ridden organization.This is damage control.So what?they are funding research,big deal! The only big deal is they dont usually give away that sort of money!!! Hit em up now while they have their vault open!

good call

2nd

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
There was never a controversy over adult stem cell research.

Controversy has always surrounded fetal stem cell research which has never produced any results. If something doesn't produce results...get government to throw money into it. That is the controversy.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
what would they hope to do with fetal stem cell research that they couldnt do with adult stem cells?

why would they use fetal stem cells if adult stem cells are already working?

new topics

top topics

join