It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Statue Goes Up In Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

HAMDANIYA (Iraq) - THE Christians of northern Iraq have chosen to defy mounting attacks by extremists by erecting a statue of Jesus modelled on the giant Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro.

Source: www.straitstimes.com...

Mod Edit: Added external source tags.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites, please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, and your opinion on the information as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 4/24/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

That is about as pagan as a supposed Christian can get.

Second Commandment: "You shall not make any idols." It doesn't say you shall not make any idols of other gods but please do make them of me. It says you shall not make any idols.

Exodus 20:4-5: “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,"

God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

That is about as pagan as a supposed Christian can get.

Second Commandment: "You shall not make any idols." It doesn't say you shall not make any idols of other gods but please do make them of me. It says you shall not make any idols.

Exodus 20:4-5: “You shall not make for yourself a carved image,

God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

But hasn't religion always been a craft of twisting words and justifying themselves?

quote (of their justification) from the article:

'But the idea of building the statue of Jesus opening his arms is to send a message of peace to everyone to say that we want to live in peace with all,' said the 48-year-old.

'The statue might be small if we compare it with what Christians did for Iraq over hundreds of years. The statue is stone and can be removed at any time, but the history of Christians cannot be abolished,' said Habash. 'We have a great history, we are very loyal to Iraq,' added the official charged by the church with preserving religious monuments.

In the last line above, we see that it is the church who is actually condoning this and who has the intent to preserve the idol.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
In the last line above, we see that it is the church who is actually condoning this and who has the intent to preserve the idol.

I don't doubt the church is responsible. They are wrong for doing it though.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Wow, It's too bad the Bible haters are trying to hijack your thread. But that's what haters do. Haters hate everything, and when there is nothing left to hate, they will hate themselves.
S&F

new topics

top topics

join