It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Seeks Immigration Overhaul, Slams Arizona Law

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

70% approve! That is a definite statement by Arizonians!

History has shown time after time that the majority isn't necessarily "right".

Do I need to list some examples?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

OP's source

The state legislature passed a bill that would make it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally and require local police to determine the immigration status of anyone an officer suspects of being in the country without proper documentation.

The bottom line here is, upon what terms will people be suspected of being in the country without proper documentation? I would love for anyone who supports this law to define that. Better yet, does anybody think we could find two people that could agree upon how we could define this?

I realize that something needs to be done; but, there is no doubt in my mind that this law is a step in the wrong direction. This law will help solve the problem of illegal immigration; however, it will also bring harassment upon American citizens. Has bringing harassment upon American citizens become alright, just as long as it is against what Obama wants?

This law is misguided to say the least.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

what terms will people be suspected of being in the country without proper documentation?

Those terms would, of course, be lack of proper documentation! No harassment, discrimination, etc., just show your documents, please, thanks, you can go on...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

So does everyone get asked for their papers? Am I going to have to carry around some form of documentation?

Are police just going to check random people on the streets?

Is this probable cause for officers to pull somebody over?

Do we need to set up some sort of check point in random spots?

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Styki]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Here is an interesting article regarding the legislation from a noted "liberal" columnist in Arizona. I saw this today on Fark and I thought it was a very interesting response to the issue at hand.
OP ED AZ Central

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This is exactly why we, as citizens need to stop worrying about controlling our federal gov't. The states are where its at. No matter how much we try to get the feds to listen, they are too full of "I know whats best for you"

The AZ law is not perfect, has potential for abuse, but in all actuallity do you really think that you won't get stopped randomly if a police officer wants you to stop. seat belt laws, vague soberiety checks, heck they have already run the "no refuse" drug and alcohol checkpoints in texas
road block, dance on the line, piss, blood, and a mouth swab, pay the fine over there.

not stopped because you were doing anything, but basicly because you were there.

the following is a thread I started to try to get all of us to team up on a coordinated effort to take our freedoms back by kicking the fed, and all the career politicians out of our state houses...ALL OF THEM!
please look at it and lets get a real game plan down

www.abovetopsecret.com...

dr

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by justinsweatt

FYO: The article makes the point that the Arizona Law has its flaws and could be used to create a police state but the citizens are so fed up with the violence and lawlessness due to the Mexicans they would pass any law that will help.

Arizonans are sick and tired of the Feds doing absolutely nothing to shut the door! If the Fed sits around and does nothing then state laws to deal with the situation is what they get.

Could civil rights abuses occur under the crackdown, sure! Will they and to what degree and how they will be handled awaits to be seen. In the mean time most Arizona citizens are happy to see something being done!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join