It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Seeks Immigration Overhaul, Slams Arizona Law

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Today's news!

7 Police Officers Killed at Ciudad Juarez

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico Gunmen ambushed two police vehicles at a busy intersection in this drug- and violence-plagued city, killing seven officers and a 17-year-old boy who was passing by, authorities said.

Bad timing for Obama!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Good point!

California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas should all enact similar laws and fast before Obama can get Federal laws passed to supersede the states!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I'm sitting on the fence about this ... while I believe there is an obvious problem with illegal immigration and it needs serious attention and evaluation, I think AZ. decision to move forward may have serious (perhaps unintentional, perhaps intentional) consequences/ramifications. What those are, still remain to be seen but I do fear we are sliding down the wrong path. However, if AZ. moving forward is the push that is needed to wake Congress up and finally address the problems on the border, than perhaps it was what was needed. We shall see.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Don't y'all get it? None of this is going to matter at all. Before his term is up, Herr Obama is going to get with P.M. Harper and Presidente Calderon and establish the North American Union. Here in Texas, our fearless governor Rick Perry has already begun construction of the Trans-Texas Corridor.

TTC

This will become the main artery for the North American infrastructure. They will set up their continental capitol in Dallas/Ft. Worth (with each nation continuing to keep their national capitols, of course). There will no longer be national sovreignty as everyone will be North American citizens. This would nullify any "illegal immigrant" status and create amnesty on a continental scale. Our currency will be the fiat Amero set up by the Fed. America in near bankruptcy and, once the Fed calls in its debts, this will be set in motion at breathtaking speed.

Well, that's just my little conspiracy theory.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
A part of me wonders if this is all planned together. As in, Arizona implements something that is accused of being a throw back to Nazi Germany with the 'Let me see your papers!' order.

The federal government finally speaks up on the issue to offer an alternative in the tone of 'Look at the irresponsibility of how the states are handling the problem!' Then proceeds to blast the Arizona legislation and offer an alternative solution that will sound better in comparison (although not better in reality).

So it seems they're at odds on the surface but behind the scenes, it's nothing more than a good cop/bad cop put-on.

I'm probably way off but anything is possible if their history of game playing is any indication.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

So it seems they're at odds on the surface but behind the scenes, it's nothing more than a good cop/bad cop put-on.

Games indeed. Throw in an election year, bad economy, budgets in red and one can see why politicians are blaming everything on illegals.

Where were these politicians when times were good?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Obvious from this, all Americans can see how our president Obama holds in total and complete contempt the sovereign rights of states to establish state laws, but only if they conflict with his berzerk agendas..

I am not saying Arizona is right or wrong for doing this, but they give the power to the federal government not the other way around, and they have the right to enact any state laws they choose if they are constitutional..

[edit on 24-4-2010 by UfoSpecial]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is what I believe is going to happen.
Arizona passes the immigration law, and it will force the federal level to act. The president will have 4 options on the table. 1) Is that he ignores the part in Arizona. 2) He directs his legal counsel to challenge this in court, giving legal aid for such in the background. 3) Try to pass a new law through congress, or 4) Give a general amensty, show up get your id and papers and go back to work. The latter 2 is political oriented so he can pick up millions of new reps in congress and get reelected.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Obama Seeks Immigration Overhaul, Slams Arizona Law

Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others,” Obama said at a Rose Garden naturalization ceremony for 24 members of the U.S. military. “That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona.”

The state legislature passed a bill that would make it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally

Isn't it already a federal crime to be in the US illegally?

The problem is the Fed Gov isn't taking the proper steps to make sure that illegals immigrants are rooted out and deported, sooo, now States are feeling compelled to make it a STATE law that it is against the law to be an illegal immigrant in their state!

What is wrong with a federal and state law which say the same thing??

[edit on 4/24/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Let the in-fighting begin!... I mean continue.

These guys are so transparent. Obama's lovey-dovey "Right thing to do" speech yesterday has absolutely nothing to do with anything that came out of his mouth. It's all about a desperate attempt to screw you and I over for that Latino vote. Even he knows that environmental barrel he wants to bend us over won't score any of those for his party.

TRENDING: Graham move imperils Obama agenda

Panic mode is officially in effect, and I applaud Arizona for sticking up for its people and doing something to address the cancer our federal government seems more than happy to ignore.

Unfortunately, in the end, it's most likely going to be but a small kink in their twisted totalitarian agenda though. Just as taxpayer money got thrown around like confetti to buy the last few votes of the health-scare bill, (much like it does when North Korea throws a tantrum to get aid), people will be bought out on our dime, and Arizona will eventually tow the line.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well, when problems get so bad that the Constitution is being violated by state laws, we know everything is falling apart.

Is this how TPTB are going to destroy our country/constitution?

From Mexico???

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
70% of Arizonians Favor Legislation

The Arizona legislature has now passed the toughest measure against illegal immigration in the country, authorizing local police to stop and check the immigration status of anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally. A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds that 70% of likely voters in Arizona approve of the legislation, while just 23% oppose it.

70% approve! That is a definite statement by Arizonians!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

the constitution has been infringed upon on the federal level, many times, by both the dems and the republicans. Each side proclaiming the sanctity of the document when the opposite party is the offender, while totally agreeing with the infringement when they are the party offending. The "it's unconstitutional" argument is getting rather old!!!
And it's becoming painfullly oh so obvious that the overall state of our country is pretty low on either party's priority list! They have their little groups that they are catering to and helping, and if helping those groups happens to tear down the country, well, they either don't care, or they are gonna be oblivious to the fact till it's too late! Riches are riches and votes are votes, and well....guess it's better to be captain of a sinking ship, than just a measly crewmate on a floating one???
In the end the states just might find that they have to step in and fill the void that has been developing as our federal government has become more and more inefficient, impractical, self-serving, and just plain negligent in their duties!!
I asked this question on these boards a few years ago...
Is it possible that they are intentionally screwing up so badly, just so we will come to the conclusion that our gov't is that self serving, inefficient, impractical, negligent, ect that it is to the point where we'd be willing to lay it all aside for just a little relief from the disasters that it is creating...
well, the question is still valid, although it is pretty much irrelevant!
since well, if the federal government isn't willing to do the job it was created to do, then someone, some other group is gonna have to step in and do that job to restore some stability.
quite frankly, I'd rather see the states come to the bat than a mob of citizens, be they tea partiers, neocons, or any of those liberal groups out there. but, I think the federal branch of gov't at the moment is a lost cause pretty much, they are so out of touch, and in the pockets of a few, well.....for some reason, they just can't come down to our level and understand, heck, most of the citizens don't understand! we have gone so far downhill, what is good for the country, isn't gonna be good for you, or me, or the defense contractors, or the teacher's unions, or the children, or the single moms, or the bankers, or the big corporations, it ain't gonna be good for anyone!! It's gonna be like having the doctor give you a prescription for some pills that are the size of rhode island, that taste like crap, tear up your stomach, and make you feel like crap, and him telling you to take two every day, for the next month!! but, if we want to keep our country together and running, well, we've got to start focusing less on what is good for us individually, and instead focus on what it best for our country overall!!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Anyone that thinks votes are a motivation for immigration reform, has no idea how the system works. Firstly, it takes 12-15 years to become a US citizen and that's just the time that passes after a greencard is issued. Going through legal channels to get a greencard takes about 6 years on average, so waiting 20 years total for citizenship is about the norm. Secondly, the vast majority of Hispanics are staunch conservatives and deeply religious. The Republican party knows that, hence the Reagan Amnesty in 1986 and the (failed) Bush Amnesty bill in 2007. Whichever political party passes the next amnesty bill won't see new voters for a loooooong time.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

WOW a sitting US president talking down and chastising a state government in front to the whole world like Arizona is a little backwards third world country or something. We are in trouble folks.

Sorry this isnt Mississippi 1960 something Mr Prez. This is about Mexico annexing a bourder state by proxy. About killing white ranchers like they do in South Africa and other parts of Africa. Its about making the white voice silent. Its war by infusion. The take back political mentality and justice against the whites.

This from the same guy that said "we are a nation of laws".

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Anyone that thinks votes are a motivation for immigration reform, has no idea how the system works. Firstly, it takes 12-15 years to become a US citizen and that's just the time that passes after a greencard is issued. Going through legal channels to get a greencard takes about 6 years on average, so waiting 20 years total for citizenship is about the norm. Secondly, the vast majority of Hispanics are staunch conservatives and deeply religious. The Republican party knows that, hence the Reagan Amnesty in 1986 and the (failed) Bush Amnesty bill in 2007. Whichever political party passes the next amnesty bill won't see new voters for a loooooong time.

Great post. Yes the hispanics have shown themselves to be good folks, hard workers ect whiel here.

These facts and whatever good we could say about them doesnt cover the issues that Arizona is now facing. The very violent problems in Mexica are now seeping over the border. There are problems that now must be faced.

Naturaly some are reaching into the good lo bag of political race tricks to throw this in another direction.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Indeed!! THis is a state issue that mirrors federal law and 70% of Arizonians support it. Obama needs to shut his pie hole and move on to more important issues for a change.

Obama is fearful that measures like this will just serve to stifle his Immigration Reform agenda. I can't wait to see what Texas has up their sleeve. Texas is certainly a state that doesn't need the Federal govt. to survive.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Anyone that thinks votes are a motivation for immigration reform, has no idea how the system works.

Bare with me while I clear up this misconception.

Firstly, it takes 12-15 years to become a US citizen and that's just the time that passes after a greencard is issued. Going through legal channels to get a greencard takes about 6 years on average, so waiting 20 years total for citizenship is about the norm.

Nowhere in this thread has anyone claimed that a single illegal granted "amnesty", so to speak" would be voting anytime soon.

Secondly, the vast majority of Hispanics are staunch conservatives and deeply religious. The Republican party knows that, hence the Reagan Amnesty in 1986 and the (failed) Bush Amnesty bill in 2007. Whichever political party passes the next amnesty bill won't see new voters for a loooooong time.

Bills are passed, or shot down, in Congress. Much like today, not one single American, of any race or ethnicity, got to vote on legislation introduced in the House or the Senate in 1986 or 2007. Comparing today's administration with those is apples and oranges.

Latino Leaders Impatient With Obama After Promises on Immigration

During his speech to the League of Latin American Citizens, a leading Latino organization, Obama lamented the lack of presidential leadership on immigration reform in 2006, and promised to do better. "We need a president who isn't going to walk away from something as important as comprehensive immigration reform when it becomes politically unpopular," he told the group. "That's the commitment I'm making to you. I fought with you in the Senate for comprehensive immigration reform. And I will make it a top priority in my first year as president." But after Obama's victorious presidential campaign, in which he won with 67 percent of the Latino vote, immigration advocates say they are still waiting for the results that Obama promised them 18 months ago. And their patience is wearing thin.

Vast majority you say? I don't think so. He's scrambling to try to keep that vote, and probably feels he can sway even more of that majority if he can shove something through before the mid-term elections. Harry Reid is a perfect example.
It's all about the party vote, nothing more.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by lernmore]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
67% of the Latino vote. Wow sounds like a Latino Tea Party. Oh and not race based mind you now. They just vote dem anyway because they believe republican ideas are white ideas and Obama has made promises along thise lines.

Anyone in this country trying to build a voter base on illegal immigrant considerations or hoping to turn the illegal block into a voting block by crap legislation is a pile of lowlife demented treasonous progressive racist scum.

But whatever you do when taking over a nation by subtrerfuge you MUST divide the majority, block up the minorities. Pass of the wishes and aspirations of the majority as selfish and the hopes and aspirations of the minority as a suffrage against it.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Dem to Obama: Push immigration or lose Latino voters at polls

In another fine example of Chicago-style politics, Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) threatens to tell voters to stay home if Obama doesn't push immigration legislation. That pesky vote thing just keeps interfering with timing of the master plan.

I like how he points out the subtle ways a politician paints a picture, depending on who he's talking to, in order to gain support for an agenda

Among his grievances with Obama is the president’s shift in rhetoric. When Obama campaigned, Gutierrez said, he used the phrase “undocumented workers.” When he addressed Congress on healthcare last September, the president referred to “illegal immigrants” in insisting that they would not be covered under the administration’s plan. “You went from a humanizing definition of the community to a criminalizing definition of the community,” Gutierrez said.

Face it, Obama doesn't care anymore about the illegal immigrants than he does protecting those of us who already live here legally from them. Only when it becomes a threat to their voter base do they consider it urgent.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join