It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Seeks Immigration Overhaul, Slams Arizona Law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Obama Seeks Immigration Overhaul, Slams Arizona Law

preview.bloomberg.com...

President Barack Obama called anew for overhauling the nation’s immigration laws, saying a failure to do so will lead to “misguided” efforts such as legislation passed in Arizona.

“Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others,” Obama said at a Rose Garden naturalization ceremony for 24 members of the U.S. military. “That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24/4/10 by plumranch]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Arizona's immigration law, now considered the toughest in the nation, makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally and requires local police to enforce federal immigration laws. It will require anyone whom police suspect of being in the country illegally to produce "an alien registration document," such as a green card
or other proof of citizenship, such as a passport or Arizona driver's license.

So now Arizona law enforcement is able to ask for "an alien registration document," such as a green card!!

And our President is against this?? Law enforcement can't ask for a green card? What is this POTUS thinking?
OMG!!

preview.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 24/4/10 by plumranch]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
From Obama's response, It sounds like Obama is concerned that local official will have "too much time on their hands" to "harass" people they think could be illegal, off of a hunch.

In a sense, he is saying that Arizona has enacted a "Papers, please" legislation.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
This reminds me of nazi germany in a way, they asked everyone for their "papers" to prove they were not jews.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
problem-reaction-solution at work here thay can easy control the border thay just need the problem so the people scream at them to fix it.
BUT now you already have the problem how else can you fix it the employers should get massive fines per head like 10-20k that would help but not fix it what would you do?(ANYONE)

[edit on 24/4/10 by Aceofclubs]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

From Obama's response, It sounds like Obama is concerned that local official will have "too much time on their hands" to "harass" people they think could be illegal, off of a hunch.

Hehe! So if law enforcement questioned someone about their green papers it would equate to harassment! And if someone didn't have a green card when asked, Obama's suspicions were right, someone was harassed!

What a great POTUS!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Funny you would mention that because there have been comparisons between Obama and Hitler. Now could this new nazi era come from him or because of him? You just have to wonder sometimes ya know!?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I dont agree with what Obama said by calling
AZ irresponsible. At least they are doing
something. Obama has had this problem
on his desk since before he got in the WH
and still nothing.

AZ is just showing DC how to do their jobs.

Come to think of it
maybe we should send all the legislature
from AZ to do all their work for them and
send Obama to live in Phoenix for a while.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I'll tell you why this is a priority for Obama all of a sudden, the Latino vote.
The democrats are shaking in their boots right now. The only way they're going to be able to continue their uncontested power-grab, short of a miracle, is to pull a magical pink rabbit out of that crumpled hat before the mid-term elections in November.

Personally, I don't believe in magic, and don't see it happening no matter what they try.

Much to the dismay of the money-grubber puppets set to introduce a new climate change and energy bill on Monday, the new priority will shift to legislation providing legal status for many unlawful immigrants.

Dem leader makes immigration bill bigger priority

Obviously, the Arizona Immigration Law doesn't sit well with what they're about to attempt.

While I haven't done a lot of digging, and I'm not aware of anything that's been recently introduced, I imagine it will be something along the lines of this.

Summary of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform for America's Security and Prosperity Act of 2009

Title IV. Legalizing Undocumented Immigrants
Legalization: The bill creates a legalization program for qualified undocumented immigrants (and their
spouses and children):
• Those who qualify would receive a conditional nonimmigrant visa which is valid for six years.
This visa allows legalized immigrants with work and travel authorization and protection from
removal.
• To qualify, an applicant must:
o Establish they have been in the U.S. illegally before December 15, 2009.

That's why you see hard-core liberals coming in here making posts like this one demanding that "Tea Partiers" should be front and center, taking on the Arizona Law. Nothing like getting someone else to fight your battles for you eh?

Top to bottom, from the president to the foot soldiers, they care about the vote, the Latino vote. That and nothing else.

Tugging on heart-strings, hiding behind political correctness and crying about civil rights isn't fixing anything. Prove you belong here or get out. By all means, come back when you can do it legally, I'll buy you a beer.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The POTUS doesnt care. All he is doing is reacting, as he HAS to, and i would bet my lifes' savings, he does nothing about it.
Other states will follow suit.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I love that the state is irresponsible for taking the matter into their own hands after the federal level has failed miserably to even address the issue in a meaningful way!!
can't wait for all these states to decide they just don't have the money for all those mandates and start ignoring them!!

ya, I imagine the powers that be in washington are shaking a little. the states are starting to wake up and excercise their rights.....
and yes, they have the right to self preservation, we all do!!

I don't know if the can do this or not, think they can...but, well, arizona should now order all their national guard troops that are overseas to come home, and protect the state.... after all, that is what the national guard is for....we have the US military to fight on foreign soil afterall...
national guard is for protecting the homeland!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Someone should remind Mister Obama it's not just drug dealers and grownups looking for work. here in the southwest we have a big human trafficking problem. Just yesterday Fri, they shut down a hotel in Albuquerque where teenaged girls had been brought across the border and forced into prostitution...

Heck remember a heart wrenching story a few years back about a nine year old little girl found wandering in a rest area. seems a man had bought her to be a sex slave, had the girl delivered to the border where he picked her up. after raping her a few times I guess he got scared he be caught with a child that wasnt his, so dumped the child in a highway rest area!

No sir I say good for AZ check those papers make sure they are who they say they are. I say good for New Mexico turning out the National guard to help patrol the border, and Texas for soon to do the same...

This has to stop.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Could you please re-post your link? I can't find the article, even going directly to the Bloomberg website.

Edit: Hmmm.... have they taken it down?

Your search - OBAMA SEEKS IMMIGRATION OVERHAUL, SLAMS ARIZONA LAW - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing "OBAMA SEEKS IMMIGRATION OVERHAUL, SLAMS ARIZONA LAW".

Edit again: Ok found it... preview.bloomberg.com...

That was strange.

[edit on 24/4/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Yep… seems this “irresponsibility” is already spreading.

Utah Rep Sandstrom Wants to Sponsor Exact Arizona Immigration Bill

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
In an interview with a local TV station, Representative Stephen E. Sandstrom (R) Orem, Utah stated that he would like to sponsor the exact same immigration legislation that has now been signed into law in Arizona:

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I am going to take the argument to the next level.

I say to China, North Korea, Philipines, Mexico, hell any country having problems with unemployment or overpopulation, WE ALL KNOW what the Admin is going to try and do here. Amnesty.

So I say to all of you countries out there NOW. Send us millions of your people.

Let's get this thing, frelling over with. Time for the invasion is NOW.

Our federal government is not enforcing immigration laws so get on the ball. You can solve your problems while destroying the US.

Woohoo, what a plan!

[edit on 4/24/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

You know some Amnesty will be a good thing...
thanks to the drug war down in Mexico some 300+ people have been forced to flee a couple small towns where cartels have burned down houses a church, threatened to kill children if their parents didn't pay up...
Last week there was a story of one boy who was forced to watch his mother and grandfather attacked with an ice pick... last I read they were in an El Paso hospital and the boy in US protective custody.

we Americans are not so heartless in the face of atrocities and we warmly welcome those in dire need.
At issue is those who skirt the laws, steal identities commit crimes smuggle drugs here. the system we have now is broken. we don't need a quick fix we need a completely new effective system put in place before more innocents die! As the law now stands most of those 300+ families seeking asylum well be sent back where in every likelihood, will be killed...

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

So, like I said in the previous comment.

ALL countries of the world, hear me now send us your millions of people.

Instead of them being homeless and starving there, they can be homeless and starving here.

Excellent solution to the problem.

How bout we JUST enact the same immigration laws that the country where the people come from?

Nope, no longer going to be even a smidgin of PC.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Obama has to appear strong on this.........after all, he bought votes for health care by selling out to hispanic reps that wanted immigration tackled next. He made promises he has to keep to keep the hispanic vote. He as well as the hispanic reps making those dmands are traitors to this country. Since when does putting the wants of illegals over your own citizens become a good thing for our country?

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Good points. I read the Bill in it's entirety, and will not quote from it:

Provides temporary visas and work authorization for detained workers when they have been targeted by their employer for asserting their rights if they agree to pursue labor claims against their employer. Expands U visa protections for whistleblowers.

So if I am an illegal worker, and I tell on my boss, then I get protection. Look out employers!

Repeals the 287(g) program and clarifies that only the federal government has the authority to enforce federal immigration law.

Again with "Federal Law" superseding States Constitutional Law. Soon we will have FEDs in our bedrooms. Where does this end? By law, Federal law extends to 20 miles outside Washington DC. Feds cannot enter a State without permission of the State. Go ahead, Congress, ignore the law. We have your number, and we have your names. My vote goes to anyone who is on the Tea Party ticket. Goodbye Dems and Reps, you had your day.

Ensures social service agencies, translators, and legal services are available during enforcement activities, and establishes access to legal orientation programs for all detained immigrants.

So illegals not only get welfare and food stamps, they get free lawyers too?

Protects access to counsel during enforcement activities and for disabled individuals unable to fully participate in removal proceedings.

What sort of counsel are they taking about here? Psychiatric care? I can, of course, understand a wheelchair for a disable illegal, at least until they are on the Mexican side of the river.

Reclassifies spouses and children of lawful permanent residents as immediate relatives.

So, if I go to Mexico, and knock up a Mexican National girl, am I automatically a citizen? These people have very large families, with all the cousins and such. Do we let them all in? I would say over half of Mexico is related in some way or other. This does not make sense at all the way it was written.

All bars related to undocumented status – such as using a false Social Security number -- will be waived (but security and criminal bars cannot be waived).

So using someone else's SS card is waived now? Great. how about the SS account of the person the card belongs to? If I, an American citizen uses someone else's SS card, I get arrested and jailed. Why do they get away with it?

This Bill is a double edged sword, people.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Someone should remind Mister Obama it's not just drug dealers and grownups looking for work. here in the southwest we have a big human trafficking problem. Just yesterday Fri, they shut down a hotel in Albuquerque where teenaged girls had been brought across the border and forced into prostitution...

Heck remember a heart wrenching story a few years back about a nine year old little girl found wandering in a rest area. seems a man had bought her to be a sex slave, had the girl delivered to the border where he picked her up. after raping her a few times I guess he got scared he be caught with a child that wasnt his, so dumped the child in a highway rest area!

No sir I say good for AZ check those papers make sure they are who they say they are. I say good for New Mexico turning out the National guard to help patrol the border, and Texas for soon to do the same...

This has to stop.

I remember that incident only too well, I was driving truck at the time. The thing is, if we seal the Border, we stop the human, and the Mexican drug trafficking. We stop the War on Drugs that is draining our economy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join