It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time for a NEW ATS motto?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Does anybody else feel like maybe it is time for a new site motto? I think the "Deny Ignorance." one has served this site well, but it is time for a change. Considering the upcoming revamp of the ATS forum, maybe it would be a good opportunity to also change the site motto. I know some people would be very much against the idea because that motto has become so well associated with the site.

The problem is that the current motto is ambiguous to many people. Does it mean to prevent others from posting ignorant information? Does it mean to discard the views of those who we deem ignorant? Does it mean not using MSM terminology when discussing issues? Does it mean telling others to stop wilfully embracing ignorant information if they want to be taken seriously? Does it mean people are ignorant because they agree with the views of those that have posted ignorant information at times in the past?

I believe it is time for a change. If you feel the same, please reply with suggestions for a new site motto. (I cannot think of a good one right now, but I am sure other members will be able to come up with some creative responses.)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
How about the expression from X-files "The truth is out there somewhere", or maybe just "Seeking Truth"

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Why change a good thing?

Sometimes being called on the carpet for not denying ignorance is what happens on this site.

We all come away learning something from the experience of being here.

I vote no, for changing the slogan.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
In case some members haven't seen the motto explained...

The Motto: "Deny Ignorance"
More than a slogan and deeper than a mission statement, our members have embraced the motto of "Deny Ignorance" as our reson detre, demanding everyone who posts to aspire to a higher standard of participation. These simple two words have galvanized a broad membership base that spans the spectrum from highly speculative conspiracy writers to staunch skeptics. The result is a unique collaboration of diverse individuals rallying under this simple statement to learn from each other, discover new truths, and imagine new ideas that expand minds.

This motto has life. It has purpose. It demands ATS members to think.

It is a state of mind.

It is a sense of purpose.

It is a statement against the paradigm.

It is a rage against the mindless status-quo.

The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate.

Deny ignorance is what we do.

It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen.

Ignorance is the social disease of history that has clouded our minds and dulled our brains. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance.

We deny it. it's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength.

Here, ignorance is denied.

You can find it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I like the long version

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
"Where knowledge and reason converge to fight the absurdity of contemporary thinking"

or

"Don't believe everthing you're told"

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
ATS-encouraging Ignorance.
ATS-Giving crazy people a place to vent
ATS-political trolls trolling trolls.
ATS-the 4chan of the conspiracy circle.
ATS-where good conspiracies go to die.
ATS-helping people fail psychological evaluations since 2003

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I personally think that it should stay the same.

It is.. shall we say.. just as relevant...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

And that is why I like the motto.

Just the way it is right now.

Whether the site is revamped, or not, that needs to stay the same.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Having been on ATS for a couple of years, I have yet to see the simple logic in the credo. Honestly, it doesn't makes sense. The casual assumption for the unenlightened in reading it is that one shouldn't deny their ignorance. But if you think you are in the high calibre group that is so smartsy, you use it to label those whom you consider less fortunate.

Yes. It is time for an new credo--no doubt about it. Unless you want to Deny Ignorance of its double meaning, then you may think it fine and dandy.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It is pure in its simplicity. I vote keep it.

I often intentionally mistype it as DENY IGNORANTS.

Although some folks (self included at times) think ATS stands for Anger Treatment Site.

It ain't broke don't fix it.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I have always said that denying ignorance and attacking it are two different exercises.

I say keep the motto.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by loam]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
42. That should be the motto. 42 means everything and nothing.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
ATS-encouraging Ignorance.
ATS-Giving crazy people a place to vent
ATS-political trolls trolling trolls.
ATS-the 4chan of the conspiracy circle.
ATS-where good conspiracies go to die.
ATS-helping people fail psychological evaluations since 2003

ATS doesn't compare to another conspiracy site, in regards to what you said, that I dare not say.

In my opinion ATS is a very mature site compared to others.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by 11118]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
i think they should just add a second motto under it

a good one is "just because your paranoid doesn't mean their(or were) not watching you!"

or dealingwithdenial,breakingbarriers, etc

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
DENY CHANGE!

Hehe!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Um no...Do schools or businesses change their mission statement? No not really so ATS should keep their motto...after all it IS a motto!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I very much agree with the OP. Likewise, I very much disagree with the whole "Deny Ignorance" as a worthy statement of anything, mission or otherwise. Break that motto down:

Main Entry: de·ny
Pronunciation: \di-ˈnī, dē-\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): de·nied; de·ny·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French deneier, denier, from Latin denegare, from de- + negare to deny — more at negate
Date: 14th century

1 : to declare untrue
2 : to refuse to admit or acknowledge : disavow
3 a : to give a negative answer to b : to refuse to grant c : to restrain (oneself) from gratification of desires
4 archaic : decline
5 : to refuse to accept the existence, truth, or validity of

— de·ny·ing·ly \-ˈnī-iŋ-lē\ adverb
synonyms deny, gainsay, contradict, contravene mean to refuse to accept as true or valid. deny implies a firm refusal to accept as true, to grant or concede, or to acknowledge the existence or claims of . gainsay implies disputing the truth of what another has said . contradict implies an open or flat denial . contravene implies not so much an intentional opposition as some inherent incompatibility .

Main Entry: ig·no·rance
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rən(t)s\
Function: noun
Date: 13th century

: the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

So by denying ignorance, you are simply refusing to accept a lack of knowledge. This in no way asserts nor assure knowledge, wisdom or experience from those making the denial.

Get rid of the motto. It's lame.

Main Entry: lame
Pronunciation: \ˈlām\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): lam·er; lam·est
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English lama; akin to Old High German lam lame, Lithuanian limti to break down
Date: before 12th century

1 a : having a body part and especially a limb so disabled as to impair freedom of movement b : marked by stiffness and soreness
2 : lacking needful or desirable substance : weak, ineffectual
3 slang : not being in the know : square
4 a : inferior b : contemptible, nasty

— lame·ly adverb

— lame·ness noun

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I've always thought the moto was a bit ambiguous.

Deny Ignorance could very well mean what we all think it means.

Or it could very well mean to deny that you are in fact ignorant yourself...just deny it and keep on going. Sometimes I think some members follow this definition more than the intended one.

Because technically if you use the definition of "deny"...the phrase "deny ignorance" would mean you are saying "ignorance" is not true and you don't believe in it.

I always thought "Defy Ignorance" or "Despise Ignorance" would be a better fit.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
This is unique to our community. When i first joined, I didnt know what it meant, but now i do.

NO CHANGE on motto.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thank you for your most detailed explanation for the status quo. I agree with all of your points and find it refreshing to find a moderator that isn't trying to go along to get along just for the sake of change for changes sake.

Stick to what means something and if something is working, leave it alone.

Thanks for your posting, because it really made my day to read your comments and realize that I wasn't crazy after all to think that there is nothing wrong with the current phrase.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join