It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Komen for the Cure makes mockery of self with KFC pinkwashing campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The Korman for the Cure organization seems to be letting the love of money cloud their message of cancer prevention. They are teaming up with KFC, which is loaded with cancer causing ingredients, in order to raise money for their cause.

That is, if they actually want a cure for cancer. Some suggest their actual goal is to make money for the big drug companies who would find a real cure so darn unprofitable.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure makes mockery of self with KFC pinkwashing campaign (opinion)

(NaturalNews) Susan G. Komen for the Cure has now crossed the line into asinine idiocy thanks to its new alliance with Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), where pink buckets of fried chicken are sold under the slogan, "Buckets for the Cure." I'm not making this up.

This idea that buying fried chicken is actually going to cure cancer is one of the most utterly idiotic health ideas yet witnessed in American pop culture. Komen for the Cure is so far gone from reality that the organization apparently doesn't even think twice about suggesting such an absurd idea. Eat more fried chicken, folks, and then what? Loading up on that kind of a diet is more likely to cause you to kick the bucket than to find a cure for cancer.

Does fried chicken actually promote cancer?

Fried chicken, you see, is coated in starches. The recipe for the KFC chicken batter is basically flour, sugar, salt, black pepper and monosodium glutamate (MSG). All by itself, this is a recipe for chronic degenerative disease because the flour and sugar are highly processed, and the MSG is an excitotoxin that Dr. Russell Blaylock links to obesity, cancer and neurological disorders. And the chicken meat itself? That's another cruel story on top of that (read more below).

When you fry starches at high temperatures, you also create acrylamides, toxic chemical by-products of cooking that are believed by many health experts to promote cancer (www.naturalnews.com...). One scientific study, for example, demonstrated that eating acrylamides boosts kidney cancer rates by 59 percent. Acrylamides are also linked to ovarian cancer.

The Komen pinkwashing fraud

So now we've got Susan G. Komen for the Cure actually promoting foods that promote cancer. It just boggles the mind, but it's entirely consistent with what I've said about Komen for the Cure in the past: The organization is a drug-company-funded front group that actually promotes cancer in my opinion.

Read more: Natural News

Of course, this move has already inspired a satire story:
Susan G. Komen for the Cure sells pink cigarettes for cancer fundraising (satire)

How long before this story becomes reality instead of satire?

Who knows? It may just depend on how much money is to be made from it.

[edit on 4/23/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Corporate Hypocrisy the great American Past Time.

How I wish this were all satire.

This reminds me of my Yoplait thread, and how Yoplait did the lids for a cure thing with proceeds going to cure the breast cancer purported to be caused milk with bovine growth hormone.

Outrageous.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

You ever notice how yogurt is exclusively marketed towards women? Maybe KFC did this to boost their market share in the Female Demographic?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield

You ever notice how yogurt is exclusively marketed towards women? Maybe KFC did this to boost their market share in the Female Demographic?
Yes I have. I rarely see men eating it either. Your idea could very well be part of the motivation, KFC would be foolish to bypass a chance to capitalize on the great image SGC has.

I live in Louisville, we have a building named after this woman.

It is very hypocritical of KFC to do this.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

How is it hypocritical of KFC?

Their job is to make money. If this PR move brings in more women, the money will surely follow. This move seems perfectly in line with what they represent; a company that wants your money.

Now the Korman people are another story...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I no longer participate in any fund raising for any disease research of any kind whatsoever.

Medicine hasn't cured anything in decades. They create treatments, but no cures.

When they can begin spending our money given to them freely in a way that doesn't take advantage of my good will, then i will reconsider. Until then, screw 'em.

Think back....10, 20, 30 years. Remember all those dozens of articles we have read about some exotic tropical plant that has cancer fighting capabilities? Yet, when you get cancer the options are radiation, chemotherapy, and sometimes other drugs such as Rituxin (a drug used to treat immune diseases like arthritis and lupus, and also used to treat lymphoma).

I will not allow people to manipulate my guilty feelings.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Originally posted by DeathShield

Yes I have. I rarely see men eating it either. Your idea could very well be part of the motivation, KFC would be foolish to bypass a chance to capitalize on the great image SGC has.

I live in Louisville, we have a building named after this woman.

It is par for the course for the company. The Colonel wasn't a Colonel. He just capilaized on a piece of the culture.

That is all they are both doing here. It was convenient, and was percieved to have a big potential impact on public perception and revenue flow.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
This does not surprise me at all.

It's all about the Benjamins baby.

I posted a thread a couple days ago that nobody got to see before it was buried.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

here is a quote from it

Like most businesses, health and life insurance companies are out to make a buck, and one way they augment their income is by investing in other industries. But a new study has found that $1.88 billion from this industry is backing the top five publicly traded fast food chains.

Excessive consumption of this sort of food has been repeatedly linked to a host of health problems, including obesity and diabetes. "Life and health insurance firms profess to support health and wellness, but their choice of financial investments has raised doubts," wrote Arun Mohan and his coauthors, all at the Department of Medicine at Cambridge Health Alliance and Harvard Medical School, in an article published online April 15 in the American Journal of Public Health.

The largest burger backer was Northwestern Mutual, which had invested $422.2 million in publicly traded fast food corporations, including $318.1 million in McDonald's, according to Mohan's research. It's already common knowledge that the insurance industry has made even bigger investments in tobacco (handing over almost $4.5 billion, according to a 2009 study), but evidence is mounting that obesity and other dietary diseases are becoming as much of a burden on health—both individual and national—than smoking.

People who live near fast food restaurants are more likely to have a stroke than residents living farther away, according to another 2009 study. And high-fat foods have been shown to be rather addictive, at least in animal models.

As you can see anything that boosts profits is good for these companies, period.

Who cares about peoples well being when they can line their pockets.

new topics

top topics

join