It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the soldier gene...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I don't know if you know this legend about military researchs on DNA, but there was a rumor related about research of a "soldier gene" or "agressivity gene". Is anybody have informations on this ?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
i dont know about solider gene, but there are parts of human gene that can contribute to been a better soldier. such genes as primal brutality we seen in cavemen. this kind of gene also turns on when our brain turns to survival.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
blonde and ginger haired people make better soldiers then most people because they have viking and celtic blood running inthier vains both races of people were extremely violent

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Um....come bite me......

The Celts were pretty dark haired, for one. They got red hair from the vikings.

There are races of people on the planet that made the vikings look like pussies. I think your theory is pretty, um...flawed.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Um....come bite me......

The Celts were pretty dark haired, for one. They got red hair from the vikings.

There are races of people on the planet that made the vikings look like pussies. I think your theory is pretty, um...flawed.

yes...mongols, chinese, zulu, native americans, amazon warriors, and of course the blood thirsty aztecs

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Is how the Celts would say; "Your head in my belt."

Yes many nations of people from all around this world have the greatest gene of all, the survival gene. Survivors are warriors, foragers, hunters and perhaps even evasive.

If anything is for certain, it is that all of us, every one today is here because of the will to live.

You want a soldier gene, go to DARPA. If you want a survivor, look within yourself.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
I don't know if you know this legend about military researchs on DNA, but there was a rumor related about research of a "soldier gene" or "agressivity gene". Is anybody have informations on this ?

Nans, this might help

Thousands of army recruits will be used in medical experiments to discover the genes responsible for physical excellence, paving the way for new methods of selecting elite soldiers according to The Sunday Times Defence correspondent Hugh McManners (October 5).

An army source told the Sunday Times that genetic testing could soon be used to pinpoint candidates for the SAS or other special forces. "If this research produces results, we would like to be able to identify people with the potential to be in special forces" he said.

Several hundred recruits have volunteered for the programme which is being co-ordinated by civilian scientists at the army's infantry training depot at Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire. At the start of their basic training, each soldier gives saliva samples to researchers from which DNA, or genetic material, is extracted. During their 12 week training they undergo detailed exercise tests and brain and body scans to assess aerobic fitness and muscle development.

Using conventional measurements of physical fitness, researchers have found that individual recruits respond differently to the army's tough basic training course, despite their regimented lifestyle.

In each batch of recruits, researchers have discovered that most make a 10% improvement in their during basic training. Others, who they label "non-responders" make little or no improvement. But a smaller group of "super" recruits improve their fitness by 20% and more.

British army hunts 'SAS gene' in recruits

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Why does this smell like Metal Gear Solid to me?

What a great conspiracy game.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

I was thinking the exact same thing

Also, the miltary are research in genes and the possibilities of helping to improve soldiers conditions via genes

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I have heard of the aggressive gene, and I know that it can be turned off or on. This is not a good find in my eyes.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Seems to me more like that movie Gattaca where people are allowed into different positions in life solely because of their genetic makeup. I think its ridiculous to do that because it completely removes the idea of human will and determination from the whole process. Many weak and frail people have become strong and powerfull because they refused to be limited by their genes, they strove to overcome their limitations. We are much much more than our genetic makeup.

Come to think about it that theme was also in metal gear solid.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

True dat.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by courage7621
I have heard of the aggressive gene, and I know that it can be turned off or on. This is not a good find in my eyes.

Yes, I was talking about the aggressive gene.

Of course, genetic enhanced soldiers research are actually more advanced than we know, certain.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by come bite me
blonde and ginger haired people make better soldiers then most people because they have viking and celtic blood running inthier vains both races of people were extremely violent

The Vikings got their arses handed to them, so why would they make good soldiers? Anyhoo, In my experiance, I find bleach blonde chubby girls in little red sports cars to be the most violent.

Nutzo

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by come bite me

Right and blonde haired blue eyed people are only the only people pure enough for the reich right?

Give me a break.

There are a boundless number of violent people from any race or creed or nationality.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Seems to me that before you identify a good soldier gene you need to identify what makes a good soldier.

Are you looking for a gene that is just about being violent? What good is violence without a focus. You'd just have a force of sociopaths.

A gene that guarantees obedience? Then you have an army of automatons which work great as long as you know that things won't change on the battlefield. Of course, we all know that saying "no plan survives contact with the enemy."

Are you looking for a physically fit gene? I think you get my point.

So basically, you need the same genes in an "ideal" soldier as you need in an "ideal" athlete or an "ideal businessman" or an "ideal" teacher.

Just my rambling. I'm pretty sure that I had a point when I started...

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Actually, the violent ones are NOT the ones you want in your military (too prone to doing stupid things and not following orders.)

There are certain personality traits that make you a better soldier -- but we don't and can't breed for them. While humans aren't entirely blank slates (there's a biological component to our personality), we're not simply products of our upbringing and our genes.

top topics

join