It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand - Nationwide Protests Against Surveillance Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Protesters have taken to the streets to protest the Search and Surveillance Bill.

Marchers are pounding the pavements in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. One of the organisers of the Auckland march Cameron Walker said the bill overturned many important liberties which were an essential part of a free and democratic society.

Auckland Civil Liberties president Barry Wilson fears a Select Committee will simply wave the bill through -

"I'd be amazed if the bill underwent radical surgery despite opposition from state agencies such as Human Rights commission and a whole range of non-government bodies."

Even in little old New Zealand, we are facing similar intrusions as we have seen take hold of western Countries, especially in the UK.

I doubt these protests will have any effect though.

He says it will be like living in Stalin's Russia, with the dog catcher and the Pork Board empowered to kick down your door and search your house

www.nzherald.co.nz...

tvnz.co.nz...

Here are the actual PDF Documents from the government -

Search and Surveillance Powers - Part 1

Search and Surveillance Powers - Part 2

Search and Surveillance Powers - Part 3

g

[edit on 23-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I always figured New Zealand to be a relatively peaceable place...

What dreadful activities have the currently-unsurveilled New Zealanders been up to that this massive loss-of-privacy is ostensibly intended to prevent?

Where do they get these types who can't wait to pimp out individual liberties to whatever/whoever is on top of the pyramid? Why does this seem necessary to any actual human?

I would protest, too, if I were there...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

What dreadful activities have the currently-unsurveilled New Zealanders been up to that this massive loss-of-privacy is ostensibly intended to prevent?

I don't think we have to get upto any 'dreadful activities' to give TPTB an excuse to monitor everything we do!

It's the way things are going all over the place, sadly.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I dont even know how people live in britain anymore, a store owner was just arrested for selling a goldfish to a minor last week, I mean it is everyday I read something coming out of Britain where it gets more and more ridiculous. Britain is the leader in surveillence societies, and so what happens there is a sign of things to come. Its high time people from across the globe stood up against the affront against privacy we are faced with on a greater scale everyday.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Canadianinsight

I guess most people either are not aware of it, or they just don't care.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
What does New Zealand have to worry about to bring this about. Their crime is pretty low compared to other nations.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Im getting pretty mad now! The thing is most people in new zealand are oblivious to what is unfolding because living in new zealand you feel like you are basically carefree. Other than the normal dramas of everyday life, its an amazing place to live. Nobody thinks that we would have an evil, satan worshipping prime minister. That kind of thing only happens in america.

Only through reasearch into New Zealand spy bases did i uncover all sorts of what is happening there and im having to rub my eyes and pinch myself. Am i dreaming?

Living in Australia I do try and keep up with nz current affairs but i seriously doubt many at home no the extent of it.

ECHELON at two spy bases! U.S soverign air base on New Zealand soil! Internet censorship! An actual registered NWO political party.... SERIOUSLY!!
Not to mention raising GST to 15%, surveillence bills and the fact that New Zealand has actually been mentioned as a social experiment ground.

I love my country so much and I just cant belive I never saw it before. Its a lesson for people worldwide, WE ALL need to be worried!

The one thing that worries me through all of this the most came when I had a somewhat heated dicussion with my mum on the subject. I was telling her some of what I knew and that I wanted to spend more of my time doing my part. She got quite upset and said that her whole life had been filled with this crap. They spent years worrying about nuclear weapons, big brother watching them and all the changes in her time. I was wasting my time, I could never do anything to change it and I should just enjoy my life while I have it.

Is this what the majority thinks? my encounters over the passing weeks say yes. So im left with a sad empty feeling that people dont really care of our children and our childrens, children

The light at the end of the tunnel is that Kiwis are warriors and even if only a few of us are aware WE CAN CHANGE IT.... WHILE WE STILL HAVE OUR LIVES.

Think it mabey time for an anti NWO political party in New Zealand, after all every party needs an opposition.

KIA KAHA!!

new topics

top topics

join