It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthcare overhaul won't stop premium increases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Healthcare overhaul won't stop premium increases

www.latimes.com

And now, with some major companies already moving to boost premiums and others poised to follow suit, millions of Americans may feel an unexpected jolt in the pocketbook.

Although Democrats promised greater consumer protection, the overhaul does not give the federal government broad regulatory power to prevent increases.

Many state governments -- which traditionally had responsibility for regulating insurance companies -- also do not have such authority. And several that do are now being sued..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else here, but this doesn't sound very good to me at all.

And it looks as though they've already rehearsed their excuses:

Insurance industry officials say that talk of more regulation is misguided and have urged federal officials to focus instead on containing rising medical costs, which help drive up premiums.

"Oh hey, Hey, HEY PEOPLE! It's not OUR fault. Let's take a good hard look at 'rising medical costs'."

Sounds a bit vague to me. They've already got a "forced" hands in our pockets. And now, there's no telling how much it'll take for everyone to require the "Free" aspect of this "Universal Health Care Solution".

Stepping up regulation doesn't promise to be easy. Insurance companies in Maine and Massachusetts have sued state regulators who tried to block rate increases.

Wow...Just freakin' wow! Well done!

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-4-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
When the messiah and company stuck us with the control...i mean, health bill, I knew rates were going up.

Most of these companies will likely either be out of business or hurt so bad it wont matter.

Get it while you can. Thats business!

thank the messiah... little "m".

the hell of it all is, while we'll be taxed for 10-15 years before it kicks in, WE WONT EVEN BE ABLE TO USE THE CRAP!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It's not an excuse, they are raising premiums this year like they do every year. They are just raising them MORE this year because of the 20 billion in tax increases that this billed put on the medical industry.

When you artificially raise the cost of products through taxes products cost more as a result of it.

I'm not defending the insurance companies here this is just simple economics. When the cost of a product goes up everything that uses that product goes up in turn. My prediction is by 2012 if they haven't repealed this bill the Dem's or Reps, aren't going to fair well in the election.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Light of Night

I'm not defending the insurance companies here this is just simple economics.

Good of you to point out the very justification they use to get away with this crud. Truth be known, I wholeheartedly agree (Star). Indeed, "economics" is the real culprit here...and the understood rule that the Laborer and the Consumer are the caboose in the buck train...but it shouldn't give these obscenely rich people an excuse to ride on to the sunset while we freeze, starve, suffer and die for their benefit.

Any justification for this is ignorantly foolish and ultimately highly irresponsible (they already have plenty of people getting paid for it), if human life and well-being is truly the concern. IMHO, of course. :/

EDIT: Stctr/spllng

My point: I sure as hell didn't vote to be the fall guy...I didn't vote for this crap at ALL...(they didn't give us a chance, did they), and I'll be damned if they're getting any money from me at ALL. I would rather pay Canada's taxes for their NHS (without knowing the slightest thing about how it was conceived) than pay for these disgustingly treasonous lobbyist bastards to go yachting on my very, VERY needed dime.

If I paid, wouldn't I be complicit in treason? I guess we'll find out as this malarkey progresses.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
No no no. This cant be true. Beloved leader would never lie to us!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It's not him that is lying, it's his damn Cheshire grin.

I never had a doubt that he'd get away with this, and anything else he (or his superiors) wanted to do.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Of course it won't.

What ever made anybody believe that it would do this? Or even save money on the taxpayers debt?

Just because the current administration makes claims that does not make them true. Just read the bill yourself, the bill as a whole is bad.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BlubberyConspiracy

I couldn't agree more.

Let's just hope their justifications don't outweigh our wallets.

new topics

top topics

join