It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean explorer returns to Titanic - missing items?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
us.cnn.com...

It was unclear whether the items -- including the ship's bell and an ornate light from the mast -- have decomposed, fallen or been stolen.

Are there that many people that can mount a salvage op 2.5 miles deep in the atlantic?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Well if the items were taken, it would be no small endeavor and the costs of using the equipment would be exorbitant. The expense would far outweigh the prize.

I'll opt they have eroded or fallen off. Considering the climate has been rather bizarre, changes in deep ocean currents are probably the culprit.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Hang on, I'll check e-bay.

lol

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Valhall, that line was best belly laugh I had this morning

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
well if the person was super rich and wanted someTitanic items it would be possible as money wouldnt matter, it would be the prize of haveing something off of the Titanic.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
news.bostonherald.com...

``I have no problem with tourists,'' Ballard said. ``I just want it to be done right so it won't be loved to death. You can clearly see where the common landing sites are on the ship. They've left holes in the deck,'' he said. The mast and crow's nest were knocked down, probably by a French submersible, as that expedition's film shows the wreck both with and without the crow's nest, he said.

some things should remain hidden, for a wreck to be treated with such disrespect is a shame

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This is the problem I have had with Ballard from the very beginning. I don't understand why the Titanic is more sacred than an Egyptian tomb or the Hunley or a Mayan ruin.

It seems it would have been better to retrieve as much of the wreck as possible for preservation, especially considering that the "rusticles" will eventually consume the entire ship. IMO by allowing these items to be preserved and displayed, the mystic and reverence is much more likely to be continued. As it stands now, in 50 years there won't be much left.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Bleys

"This is the problem I have had with Ballard from the very beginning. I don't understand why the Titanic is more sacred than an Egyptian tomb or the Hunley or a Mayan ruin."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I not saying that it is sacred but landing a 30 ton sub on the deck is just irresponsible. It is a piece of history and anyone with the technology to get there "should know better"
Ballard shared the discovery because the world deserves to know. Knowing where it is does not give the right to destroy for the almighty dollar$$

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I agree with Regenmacher. The missing items most likely eroded or fell off. Sand moves all the time. The items could be buried under a mountain of sand. I doubt someone went down there and stole the missing items.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perfect stranger
I not saying that it is sacred but landing a 30 ton sub on the deck is just irresponsible. It is a piece of history and anyone with the technology to get there "should know better"
Ballard shared the discovery because the world deserves to know. Knowing where it is does not give the right to destroy for the almighty dollar$$

My comment was not meant to be directed at you PS. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

This ship, with or without, the tourist sub industry is going to be destroyed by the bacteria. I still believe that as much of ship and debris field should be salvaged and preserved. And I find Ballard's comments that the site is a resting place for these people to irrelevant and short-sighted. This is why I made the comparison to other famous sites.

I would much rather see the site preserved than simple fade away or be destroyed.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I would much rather see the site preserved than simple fade away or be destroyed.

I agree 100% but carelessness at the site
( any site, above or below water) will ruin history

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I thought the coordinates of the shipwreck were kept secret? I realize any secret is only as good as the people trusted with it; but I agree that there would be a short list of groups capable of robbing the site. Seems like ocean currents and gradual decay and weakening is the culprit.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ballard speaks of recklessness of "tourists" and mentions how they actually have the gall to land right on the deck and damage history

He even went as far to single out a french submersible that
" took out a mast"

Now with that said
Are we dealing with responsible scientists or just unscrupulous treasure hunters?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
its going to decompose over time on the bottom anyways so i dont have any issue with the recovery of items from the titanic. considering its unviewebable for most of humanity, i really dont care if they chop it up into bits and salvage it. the only thing i would ask is that they respectfully treat any human remains they might find.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Really, you cant steal anything from the titanic. It would fall aprat!!

new topics

top topics

join