It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is everyone in love with Nick Clegg?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I can't see why Nick Clegg is being hyped up as an anti-establishment candidate. I'm watching the first debate right now on youtube and it looks like Nick Clegg is in favor of continuing British's police state. He doesn't like the idea of a national security card not because it infringes on the rights of British citizens but because he doesn't think it goes far enough. He wants 10,000 police on the streets, and, he wants for the government to actively influence the behavior of the youth, and to social engineer on the public to produce amiable values to not produce crime (which would mean that the government would take a role in manipulating the values of the public).

He acts like he's an anti-establishment candidate but he's anything but. He's just a pro-establishment candidate hiding in anti-establishment clothing. I'm from the United States, so, I might be wrong. But that's just what I see from him. He has a likeable personality and he's good at speaking. But hey... Obama was good at speaking and look at where that got us.

I don't see why people like him so much. Can someone let me know if I'm alone or not here? I just think it's weird he has this cult of personality going around him already. I don't like it.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

im not and i want us to keep our nukes, imagine that england without nukes

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

Who knew you had any to start with

But seriously, it is probably a case of better the devil you don't know than the devil you do. Frankly both Labor and the Tories have proven in the past they are both as bad as each other, why not seek an alternative?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
EVERYONE isn't..... Its just the media would make everyone think w are

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Does Clegg have approval from Bilderberg?

We know Mandleson has approval from that corrupt body, Cameron too, but the odds on Clegg doing well will be closely linked to whether he has got the nod from TPTB.

link   
reply to post by pazcat

Why seek an alternative if the alternative is not really better than the other two parties? I'm going out on a limb here. My new conspiracy theory with British politics is that this new guy Nick Clegg claims to be an outsider, that he will bring new ideas, but the reality is that he's for expanding the British police state and he's very much in favor of a lot of the British establishment ideas, especially like that on immigration.

Why vote for the lesser of the 3 evils? That's like what I did in 2008 when I voted for the lesser of the 2 evils. I voted for Obama. And I didn't like it.

link   
We should get rid of our nukes, they are a useless and costly monstrosity. Of course as soon as we do our island will be invaded by commies,muslims and the french...or something scary like that. As for Nick Clegg, i don't like him and would never vote for him or the liberal democrats, i don't like supporting the status quo no matter how nicely packaged. But when standing next to the walking,talking piece of pond life Cameron and the ever delightful Gordon Brown i can see why people would drift his way. Im hoping people begin to understand that we are screwed either way and vote accordingly.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Clegg is indeed a Bilderberger.... So is Cameron... In fact cameron went to school with Rothchild..... See a pattern forming yet???

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

ahh i see it now

Education Clegg was educated in South Buckinghamshire at Caldicott School, and later in London at Westminster School. As a 16-year-old exchange student in Munich, Germany, he was punished with community service, after he and a friend burned a collection of cacti belonging to a professor. When news of the incident was later reported during his time as Liberal Democrat Home Affairs spokesman, Clegg said it was something he was "not proud" of.[14][15][16] He spent a gap year as a ski instructor in Austria, and as an office junior in a Helsinki bank, before attending Robinson College, Cambridge. Clegg studied Archaeology and Anthropology at Cambridge, and was active in the student theatre; he acted alongside Helena Bonham Carter in a play about AIDS.[17] He was captain of the college tennis team, and campaigned for the human rights organisation Survival International.[18] In 2008 it was reported that while at university, Clegg had joined the Cambridge University Conservative Association between 1986 and 1987, with contemporary membership records citing an "N Clegg" of Robinson College. (At the time, Clegg was the only person of that name at Robinson) However, Clegg himself later maintained he had "no recollection of that whatsoever."[19][20][21][22] After university he was awarded a scholarship to study for a year at the University of Minnesota, where he wrote a thesis on the political philosophy of the Deep Green movement. He then moved to New York, where he worked as an intern under Christopher Hitchens at The Nation, a left-wing magazine.[23] Clegg next moved to Brussels, where he worked for six months as a trainee in the G24 Co-ordination Unit which delivered aid to the countries of the former Soviet Union. After the internship he took a second Master's degree at the College of Europe in Bruges, where he met his wife, Miriam González Durántez.[

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I do not see why either, seems like brown and cameron to me.

People do hardly think for themselves, they voted in bush twice did they not?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

Why is everyone in love with Nick Clegg?

Screw the politics and anything else, it's because he's hot.
Yes, a well spoken and sexy man with a hint of ginger in him.

What's not to love.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

they voted in bush twice did they not?

That is debatable.

I was swaying towards Lib-Dem but I am starting to wonder now.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Whilst these debates are entertaining they also seem very dangerous (perhaps deliberately)....

People are judging on the main, not the party.... well - most people. Its human nature unfortunately ... the sheep watch the puppets, decide which one sounds the nicest, dont bother reading up on what they actually stand for and merrily cast their vote.

Its turned the election into X Factor - bad.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Cleggs not an outsider at all.

He's been leader of the Lib Dems for two years.

What you mean is that you've not heard of him before now.

Simple fact is that - as is the case with the 'states and other political parties there - the British media has tended to play the Lib Dems down, when in actual fact they are the third largest political party in the country.

What the debates have done is put Clegg on a footing with the other two that he very rarely enjoys - an equal one.

And in doing that, the debates have provided people with a look at a third way - a kind of middle ground - that is appealing when the two "dinosaur" parties are still banging away at each other - something that was very obvious in the first debate.

I think people are genuinely interested in hearing something new, and I'm starting to think that while Mr.Clegg isn't likely to be Prime Minister, he's going to be having a big say in how things are done, because the elected majorities are going to be slight this time.

[edit on 23/4/10 by neformore]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
His delivery style is pretty amazing, he has outshone both Cameron and Brown in the debates and people are finnaly getting to see something different. It's no longer just a two horse race, for the first time in any of our generations.
if we want electoral reform, which I assume most of us do, then the Liberal democrats are the only party that will make this happen. The chinless wonder Cameron is banging on about "real" change and this new "big society" idea. But, what does this all mean? Real change can only come from a change in the electoral system.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is a fascinating discussion here.

I am an American so basically, I know very little of UK politics, but they surely do intrigue me greatly.

I did not know really anything about Nick Clegg, as of opening this thread.

But I went and did some research, and found out some facts surrounding this person. I can see why people view him as a likable character.

But after hearing you guys discuss Bilderburger and well.

I am sorry for you guys/gals I truly am.

Your system is just like mine. Give or take a little.

We people ultimately have very little power politically, aside of our ability to voice our concerns to other citizens.

I think UK politics is important on a global scale. For obvious reasons. And people should pay a lot more attention to it.

Granted we hear about Gordon every day in the states, it rarely goes further than that when discussing the intracity and details of the political climate.

Honestly, I trust you guys far more than anything I see on the media.

So I really am relying on YOU posters in the UK to keep ME informed here in the states. I simply can not know the things you guys/gals know every day.

I do like the BBC. But I don't trust them though lol.

So really I base my opinion after hearing what you guys say about it

I would have to immerse myself in researching it a lot more to really get a grasp on UK politics though. It's a monstrosity, and extremely confusing sometimes.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I couldnt agree more.

With the debate giving the Liberal Democrats a bigger platform to shout their viwes out its given people a new option that they never really considerd.
Just look at Parliment. Gordon Brown and David Cameron sit opposite each other, bickering and playing the game of ''politics'' while Nick Clegg has a seat on Camerons side, but near the door.
Always overlooked and never listend too.

So in the First Political Debate ((I have a thread on this and been following it since it was announced, take a look)) Labour and Conservative underlooked/underestimated the Liberal Democrats.
Clegg had nothing to lose, and fair play, he did extremely well. Much better than what I thought he'd do anyway.
The thing that made him stand out the most was the squabbling between Labour and Conservatives.

Also related is how Plaid Cymru and the SNP (Scotish national party) are causing a bit of trouble for not being represented in the Debates.

-Edit because I cant spell.

[edit on 23/4/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

hahaha sorry i had to share

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Um, I just find your post kind of strange. I'm an American and I've always learned in school that the British system allows for proportional representation. So it's not like the liberal democrats haven't really not had a say in party politics over there.

They have way more of a fairer footing over there than any 3rd party does here in America. We have a lot of independents here but we're not able to make a dent in the 2 party system unless we work incredibly hard at the local level.

I just don't see what difference this guy offers. If anything the more I watch him the more I see that he would have a hands on approach with the government to intrude on individual daily lives. He recommends for one thing, like here in America, correct me if I'm confusing him with David Cameron, to permanently expel students. He doesn't want people who have problems to be in the school system. He wants for teachers to not have disruptions in the classroom. Whereas here in America we think that's normal for a kid to be expelled and let back in on condition that they'll have good behavior. That's a radical change and it could put a lot of people there out of British education, if, I understand the situation of Britain correctly.

He also wants to have discipline in the classroom. I see how people may like the sound of that. But you're going to have the government get really involved a lot more in education more so than the hands off approach he claims that he has. A conundrum in terms really, to be advocating for hands off curriculum, and then to be advocating for government control of education discipline at the same time, and Saturday classes, and what not.

I just find a lot of what he says contradictory. And I don't really like the approach he takes towards manipulating peoples behavior. He wants to stop crime. But at the same time he takes a value system approach to fighting crime, and, he believes that people commit crime because they have the wrong values, and it's that he wants to change. That would involve social engineering by the government.

There are all sorts of reasons to dislike him. I just really don't see why people are up in arms about him. I just think he's a pro-establishment candidate posing as a 3rd party candidate and the media is using him as a diversion to get peoples minds off of the 2 parties and to get them to the 3rd party, and perhaps the 3rd party would be able to continue politics as usual, under a different name. That's just my theory.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Um, I just find your post kind of strange. I'm an American and I've always learned in school that the British system allows for proportional representation.

Your schools teach wrong.

British politics is a straight out "First past the post" system. There is no proportional representation, never has been

Oddly though, its on the Lib-Dems agenda, and has been for some time

top topics

<<   2 >>

join