It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 veterans commit suicide each day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

18 veterans commit suicide each day

www.armytimes.com

Troubling new data show there are an average of 950 suicide attempts each month by veterans who are receiving some type of treatment from the Veterans Affairs Department.

Seven percent of the attempts are successful, and 11 percent of those who don’t succeed on the first attempt try again within nine months.

show about 18 veteran suicides a day, about five by veterans who are receiving VA care

VA’s suicide hotline has been receiving about 10,000 calls a month from current and former service members.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is an urgent problem that needs attention. Why are we sending mystery vehicles into space for $billions when a tiny fraction of that could be used to provide these folks the support and help they need.

Clearly there must also be significant problems in the field as well as there is obviously insufficient attention or training by the field commanders to identify warning signs.

I knew there was a problem, but did not realize it was this large. The soldiers are also likely to be young, making this a greater tragedy.

Not sure what can be done, but this demands immediate attention

www.armytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I knew a vet from uk army who tried to commit suicide, and they tried to say it was me.

Do not under any circumstances ever join the army or military period. Do not ever join those groups ever.

If you leave and you knew something they will monitor, and then torture you in your home if you speak. Like i said the looney military intel people in uk thought the person who i knew being from the army trying to commit suicide was me.

No wonder you cannot run wars, i have never been in the army, but on this topic from what i learnt do not ever join the army, i would never.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Unfortunately, suicide is a common thing for troops returning from War Zones. Their daily job is killing people(enemy) and fearing for their own lives. Some people can't switch back to "NORMAL" mode once they return home.

I have a friend that was in Somalia and the Kosovo War(2 tours) with the Canadian NATO deployments. Those engagements and the things he saw screwed him up for life. He had a bit of a breakdown, bought a condo and doesn't talk to anybody.

Did I mention that he was a Padre(Military Catholic Priest). Not even God can help him as he no longer has contact with the church either.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Healing the wounded veterans is and will continue to be a necessity on both sides of the pond. They don't get the care that they deserve and it will have to be offered by the private sector. (Companies need to be formed)

The powers that be are notorious for not giving a buck about healing. The psychological kind as well as the physical kind.

Read the book Achilles in Vietnam and you will see clearly the magnitude of their catastrophic mindset.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I'm curious as to what the general theme is in the cause. Is it just that they have seen too many awful things and can't get them out of their heads, that they felt that they were doing something wrong by being there and have massive guilt or that they just can't readust to life outside of the military?

new topics

top topics

join