It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archie Comics introduces first gay character

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Archie Comics introduces first gay character

www.breitbart.com

NEW YORK (AP) - Riverdale High is getting its first gay character.
Archie Comics announced Thursday that in an issue out Sept. 1, the long-running comic will introduce its first "openly gay" character, Kevin Keller.

The strapping blond will defeat Jughead in a burger eating contest, win the affection of Veronica and wrestle over how to gently rebuff her flirtations.

Jon Goldwater, co-CEO of Archie Comics, says the introduction of Kevin is "about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'm no homophobe, but is this really necessary? What are these folks looking to accomplish by this? It seems to me that materials targeted towards children need to be desexualized, not increasingly sexualized.

I know, many will disagree, but simply putting a character in who is gay will drive content about what that means and that adds more sexuality to a comic.

Who the hell reads Archie anyway? Seriously, what age groups are targeted with this? I'm thinking that its 8-10 year olds or are their older kids and perhaps young adult tools who are reading this rubbish?

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I see right past all this nonsense...

Clearly this is a stunt to get media attention... Like you said Who read Archie comics....(crickets chirping)

I know let's do something radical and controversial, that will get us in the news and sell a few comics. Please, this is about being "current" on the payrole checks not current with society.

join