It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gardner to die by firing squad on June 18

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

They are now saying that he has been on death row that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to execute him.

I generally don't support the death penalty other than when there are multiple eye witnesses or a video recording of the event. There are too many opportunities for either mishandling of evidence, corrupt police and officials, incompetent public defense, etc

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWatcher11

Again you fail to digest what is being said, Death penalty, maybe. Torture after 20 years in prison and red hot pokers?

Good point!

Death penalty is debatable IMHO, but it is done by the state. They try to make the trigger pullers, switch-switchers or injection-plungers unknown at the time of the actual "deed". Why? Because in a God-fearing society, want-to-be killers are not desired. If the wanting killer were at the execution at least they did not know that they actually killed the man.

When civilized society was erected in this U.S. of A., most people wanted to be rid of the vigilante whip-crackers and hangmen with sharp knives of old. And any other torturers with their medieval methods. Because whatever the crime of the individual, after executions it was feared that the torturers were still among us, and that they might like bringing pain to the rest of us.

I believe that people who invoke torture, for whatever aggrandized reason, are sick. It is the work of very evil forces, and I believe that the evil infects the torturer and they come back home to terrorize those around them.

I believe that the torturers do not believe in God nor an afterlife, and they think they must do these horrible things for vengeance.

IMO If the killer is executed, it is out of the hands of this world.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The Death Penalty costs the US taxpayer hundreds if not thousands of millions of dollars more per year per sentenced person than it would if the convicted was sent to Life in Prison without parol.

It is not just tax paying citizens who question the amounts are spent, so do officials, when the evidence is clear: It does not reduce crime nor murder.

This is an extract from the 'Report of the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice:'

“The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California’s current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually.”
Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.

The cost of a system in which the number of death-eligible crimes was significantly narrowed would be $130 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice, June 30, 2008).

Articles on Cost of Death Penalty:
deathpenaltyinfo.org...

The thing is - the point of murdering/killing/executing a person is not constructive, finacially, socially or morally. It is destructive.
If the money invested in Capital Punishment instead was delegated into serious considerations and actual actions to develop some alternative form of consequences for crime committed, then possibly there would be better solutions - the thing which advocates harsher penalties and more 'death threatening punishment' is because its NOT producing solutions - the current system of penalty does not work! The system is broken but it employs a lot of people and gives a false sense of safety to its citizens. Some of those sentenced to Death Row should not be there, not becasue they are not guily in some form of a crime - but because of botched trials, evidence not allowed to be submitted, witness inaccuracies, the list is endless - as is it with some sentencing for non Capital Punishment Crimes as well. The system is not fool proof in the slightest, in fact it attracts fools in some instances.

On the case posted about in this thread -
At the time of sentencing the victim (by law) had the opportunity to chose his method of execution - the law has changed since, but because of the length of time this has gone on, his choice still stands.

If anyone is interested there are sts here about US Death Row(s).
bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov...

For those of you who want to kill the killer, what you boast is premeditative murderer. When you have applied for the job of executioner, secured it, and carried out your first execution - come back and let us know - otherwise read the first line of this paragraph again.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

Thank you for an excellent report on the death penalty. Star.

What are your thoughts on the torturers? Either CIA rendition flights or Abu Ghraib or local peeps wanting to avenge someone???

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
IF he REALLY wanted to go all out..he should have requested...drum roll... the gas chamber!!!! now thats how to despense some justice!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retrovertigo
Capital punishment is vengeance, not justice...

So those who favor it should at least bring some honesty to the table and admit it is indeed vengeance...

At least that way a rational debate from both sides can take place...

Denying capital punishment is vengeance and nothing more is like believing in a flat earth...

So what do you suggest? We let the family of the victim decide the punishment this man gets?

Does that not subject THEM to a second round of punishment if they send the man to his death and ever have misgivings about it?

Or what about if they spare the man's life only to find out that he later on kills someone else in prison or is paroled and commits more atrocities on the outside?

No, the decision to end this criminal's life IS FAIR and IT IS JUST. They are being WAY more lenient on the criminal by giving him a choice of how to die.

Did the convicted man give his victim that same choice?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The only reason the death penalty costs too much is because the troops allow it to cost too much. Do the recruits think that Judge Isaac Parker had any fiscal woes? The Major would hazard a guess that he didn't.

The Major will now address the topic at hand. The Major isn't as fond of firing squads for civilian executions as the troops may think. Don't worry, the Major hasn't gone all soft on you; it's just that the Major likes reserving firing squads for what they were intended for; executing spies, cowards, and mutineers.

The Major is no advocate of lethal injection either, as it just doesn't provide the right context for the punishment being meted out. Any of the troops think that lethal injection was the appropriate parting gift for Timothy McVeigh? The Major hopes not, as that will earn you thirty days of KP if you do.

The Major embraces the time tested method of stretching necks; preferably in public. Nothing says "don't be a horse thief" like some itinerant scalawag dancing at the end of a fresh piece of hemp. Capital punishment can be a deterrent if you do it right, and the Major is always about doing things right. The Major would be more than happy to run down to the local Home Depot, pick up some 2x6's and hardware along with a nice length of rope and do a little "civic improvement." The Major knows he'll never get the green light for such esteemed and needed service, but a Major can dream.

Dismissed.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Major Discrepancy]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWatcher11
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Two wrongs dont make a right, not to condone what this Man did, your suggestions on dealing with him offer little hope for our species. People are not born Monsters, they are made by the society around them. He is still somebody's child.

Sorry, but that's YOUR OPINION. And it's one that I completely disagree with.

I'm of the opinion that the death penalty is perfectly justifiable.

Call it barbaric if you will - I'm perfectly willing to accept and live with that label on my conscience if it brings some sense of closure to scores of innocent victims, their families and loved ones and takes a remorseless killer out of society for good.

link   
reply to post by Smiggle

[edit on 23-4-2010 by SIEGE]

link   
reply to post by Smiggle

California could really use that money for better things.

The problem with death is . . . it's so . . final.
What if . . . it turned out . . somehow . . that they were innocent ?
( But you've already put them to death !)

Sorry about that . . .

[edit on 23-4-2010 by SIEGE]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It is interesting to look at the list of countries who still have capital punishment and those which have the highest rates.

1) Highest rates capital killings per million (2008)
Iran (4.6)
Saudi Arabia (4.1)
China, Libya, Iraq (> 1)
North Korea, Yemen, Afghanistan, Belarus, Vietnam, Pakistan, United States, Japan

2) European Countries with Death Penalty
Belarus, Albania (wartime only), Latvia (wartime only)

3) South American countries with Death Penalty
Guyana, wartime only (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia)

4) Countries which execute adolescents
China, Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Congo, Nigeria

One interesting point, is that the death penaly is mostly practiced in countries which have an overall extremely poor record on human rights overall. So the US is probably one of the few relatively advanced and democratic countries which continue this practice this form of punishment.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

He deserves to die, and was given a choice... he wants to die by firing squad, so I don't see the issue. It's not cruel or unusual .. it's his choice.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
an eye for an eye,
but if we murder someone for being a murderer then we are murderers again, vicious circle

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
to heck with all the rationalizations & qualified stances being hashed out endlessly ...

i'm against Capital Punishment, period ...

taking a life is both archaic and barbarian, whether by the perp to a victim ... or the taking of a life by the State, to a soul/alledged perp who was convicted by a jury of (his quite fallible) peers.

Amen (& i'm not the slight bit religious, nor could righteously 'swear-on-the-Bible' to tell the truth--- where this State Condemmed soul was earlier Judged & Sentenced )

[edit on 23-4-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have no problem with taking out the trash. These people have nothing to offer society.

You have some assbag like the dude in Florida who raped the 12 year old girl, and buried her still half alive?

I would personally pull the trigger on his head shot. No qualms about it.

If you think because someone had a rough childhood that that excuses it?

I don't think so.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This is one subject I've never been able to decide on. One part of me would like to see the US abolish the death penalty altogether as I don't think it should play a part in a civilized society. I think deliberately ending a persons life, no matter what they did, is wrong. However, if (god forbid) somebody murdered one of family I know that I would not be able to handle the killer being alive when my loved one was gone forever - it would eat me up for ever more.

So I just don't know

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Take a look at this and tell me no one deserves the death penalty:

www.youtube.com...

I DON"T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT REHABILITATING THESE PEOPLE.

I wish these people were executed. As quickly as possible.

And if people don't like it, too damn bad. They can take their liberal bull# elsewhere. These people are the scum of the earth and they don't deserve to breathe another breath.

I don't wanna hear about their 'tough childhood'. There are countless accounts of people with hard childhoods that went on to make a difference in this world.

These 3 are better off as worm food.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
attn: National Geographic: 'Explorer' 7:00PM EDT
the saga of 3 death row inmates in Texas right Now!

talk about syncronicity

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Are you kidding? He's lucky he has the choice between those two. If they left it up to me on how to kill this guy, I'd start by putting him on a draw and quarter machine. And crank it up just to the point of maximum pain, and leave it there for a few weeks. Once I was done partying my ass off over the fact that this murderer was having to suffer seriously, then I'd take a red hot iron and stick it up a few places where the sun don't shine. But I suppose that eventually I'd show some compassion and let the draw and quarter machine complete its task. But I'd still laugh my ass off watching his legs and arms come flying off.

Yeah, that's what needs to happen to murderers.
No sympathy. None.

[edit on Fri Apr 23rd 2010 by TrueAmerican]

In doing this you have created a second murder. Yourself.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
8x6 cell 23 hours a day, no outside contact, no TV, a limited selection of books, for the rest of your life. If you want to see what I mean lock yourself in the bathroom for a week 23 hours a day and tell me how "humane" that is.

So what do you suggest? The run of a field full of poppies? Run free like a wild stallion? Why not let him take long walks in fields of gold.
Get real my friend. Death will be a welcome release for him. He should suffer for the rest of his life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join