It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoard of bronze coins unearthed in Egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Archaeologists in Egypt have unearthed 383 bronze coins in the southwest of Cairo .
The coins were found north of Qarun lake in Fayoum Oasis and date from the 3rd century BC
Source

[edit on 23-4-2010 by gortex]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Wow very kool

Thanks for sharing.

I find this stuff interesting

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Thats pretty cool. I wonder if they will find anything else.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsAgentScully

I'm waiting for the announcement that they have found the legendary Egyptian library , that will be a great story

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I wonder who is on the front of the coin? It looks like it is a woman. Anyways this is quite some find, and hopefully there is more where those came from!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Look at the condition they are in! The desert really is good at preserving artifacts.

They look strangely Roman to me. I wonder if the dates match up?

And the fact that its a woman is surprising too, which would lead me to believe they are in fact egyptian despite the roman like appearance.

Good find.

I wonder what other treasures are still waiting to be discovered?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Great find! Here is who the person is, according to the "Egyptian Antiquities Authority" whom most people outside of Egypt think of them as a total joke:

The Egyptian antiquities authority said in a statement that one side of the coins were inscribed with hybrid Greek-Egyptian god Amun-Zeus, while the other side showed an eagle and the words Ptolemy and king in Greek.

Founded by one of Alexander the Great's generals, the Ptolemaic Dynasty ruled Egypt for some 300 years, fusing Greek and ancient Egyptian cultures.

Here is more info on Amun from wiki:

As the creator deity "par excellence", he was the champion of the poor and central to personal piety. Amun was self created, without mother and father, and during the New Kingdom he became the greatest expression of transcendental deity in Egyptian theology. He was not considered to be immanent within creation nor was creation seen as an extension of himself. Amun-Ra, likewise with the Hebrew creator deity, did not physically engender the universe. His position as King of gods developed to the point of virtual monotheism where other gods became manifestations of him. With Osiris, Amun-Ra is the most widely recorded of the Egyptian gods.[1]

I don't know why they didn't show the back of the coin, that is more interesting to me. I have a feeling that it was not an eagle but a phoenix bird. Some think that America's original emblem was not of an eagle but a phoenix.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The 3rd century BC would seem to be quite an active time in the region .
www.answers.com...

Egypt's Macedonian king Ptolemy I Soter abdicates at age 82 after a 38-year reign that has founded a dynasty that will rule until 30 B.C. He is succeeded by his 23-year-old son, who will reign as Ptolemy II Philadelphus (Greek for brother-loving) until 246 B.C., initially with the Thracian princess Arsinoe, daughter of Lysimachus, as his wife (see 276 B.C.).

Demetrius I Poliorcetes is deserted by his troops and surrenders to Syria's Seleucus I Nicator, who will keep him prisoner until his death in 283 B.C.

Edit to add

[edit on 23-4-2010 by gortex]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This makes me laugh actually. First of all because it only goes to show that there are lots of things left to be discovered, and secondly because it was a hoard, along with jewelry!

I wonder if some ancient egyptians were matress stuffers?

new topics

top topics

join